Remap on 09 1.6 Sport Petrol

Benjy3000

Sep 16, 2018
Hi Guys,

I own a 1.6 petrol Ibiza Sport which kicks out 103 bhp as stock. Done quite a lot of cosmetic upgrades but looking at the performance side now.

Does anyone have any experience with remapping these engines (sort of power you can get out of them and if there are any common issues). Not much of a mechanic so don't want to make the move without knowing what I'm letting myself in for.

Let me know if there's any other performances upgrades you'd recommend.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Seeing as no one else has replied, I'd think that not many forum members have this engine or experience of it, when I was buying my wife VW Polos, if a 1.6 "mild GT" had been available, I would have picked that one for her, I think Polo 9N3 only got a 1.6 petrol engine fitted right at the end of its production run, and that engine was only available with an auto box, I'm guessing this was only done to buy time until the next version, ie 6R appeared in the showrooms.

Back to your question, have you checked if any chipping was done to improve this engine in the Golf or Leon etc, not much is usually gained by remapping non turbo engines, what would probably need doing is to replace the camshaft and some other parts like exhaust system - but insurers would make you pay for that privilege!

I'll stick my neck out and guess that 115bhp would be a typical figure, so a big spend for very little gain in maximum power output or drivability.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members