Remapped Diesel Soot Experiences

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi All,

My Ibiza FR 130 PD was remapped and I experienced problems with the huge amount of diesel soot deposits left all over the back of the bumper, boot, etc, and with my Ibiza being yellow this wasn't a good luck (I had to clean it nearly everyday). I've had the map changed but now it seems that I've lost 90% of the extra power it (after the first remap).

For all of you that have had your 130 PD engines remapped have you experienced similar problems (with exessive diesel soot deposits) or is this not normally an issue. If you could also let me know where you've had yours done too that we be really helpful - If it's just an issue with the map I had I might be tempted to try somewhere else

Many thanks for your help.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I wonder if it just needs a good clear out, although if you talk to MikeyH on here, he was saying his deposits a fair bit of soot too - might just be because the car is yellow it stands out more?

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
I'm afraid the FR has the twin chrome tailpipe which sticks out past the exhaust, I suppose this doesn't help either but I don't really want to change it

But that is the main problem here... You'll only get rid of the soot by having the tailpipes pointing down or reducing the remap power or by installing a bigger turbo (ex:VNT1749VB from PD150's) so that boost can increase a bit and help clean out the soot output. This last option would also bring along a nice power/torque increase...

trqster

Apr 10, 2006
Lisbon - Portugal
BTW, does anyone recommend any diesel additives so that it might help out to reduce the soot a bit?
I've made a few experiments, but none worth bothering I'm affraid...

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
My opinon is that it didn't seem right, the build up was reasobable bad even after a 32 mile round trip to work. I clean my car everyweek and even one of my friend's Mum said how dirty it was and didn't believe me when I said I washed it 3 days earlier.

jsparks

i dont get any soot, possibly a bit upon full chat at low rpm, but nothing you can see without the sunlight being out in your rear view mirror, even when headlights azre behind theres hardly enything. Car stays clean for weeks.

Remapped PD130. Exhausts point down too :)

Depends which map you have, the more they fuel it, the more they smoke.

jsparks

I have a skn tuning one mate, apparently makes 170 bhp ish but feels superb :) had a run with a jabba pd150 golf and there wasn't much in it .

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Mine's pretty clean now, apart from if you drive it like a fool and try flooring it off-boost. My exhaust sticks straight out the back and I actually never have to clean the back apart from the usual road grime, never soot. I see a bit of smoke at night in other car's headlights when on boost, but generally mine's pretty clean.

Allard mapping with a lot of their tuning gear fitted.

jsparks

It a local place not to far from me, not mainstream like Revo, Jabba or APR, that's why I'm considering a Revo instead but don't want the same problem again

i would recommend anybody really, ptorque, skn, jabba, revo, ive heard some revo maps are harsh on the clutch though. Sounds to me like they have done the tuning box mod :headhurt:

More fuel less boost, where as a propper remap is a bit of both. I get better mpg with the remap!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Don't be sold on the idea that some maps are more clutch friendly either, if you drive your car like a hooligan, it's the user that kills the clutch not the map or tuner. You're simply prolonging the inevitable. If i had my choice again, i'd have had a FULL uprated clutch fitted with the remap.

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
BTW, does anyone recommend any diesel additives so that it might help out to reduce the soot a bit?
I've made a few experiments, but none worth bothering I'm affraid...

I was quite pleased with Millers 4, didnt see any benefits apart from less smoke, will buy a bottle every quarter or so just to keep the pipes lubricated.;)