Remapped TDI 140 making funny noises

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
In the last month or so since remap have noticed very loud whistling noise
between 1k and 2k rpm in first, second and third under acceleration.

That said, car drives fine, goes fine. Should I be worried? Burst pipe? Any ideas?

Or, is this just a symptom of the remap? Any advice appreciated. Dont fancy taking it to the delealers and the guy who did the remap is in York (I'm in Newcastle).

Should also say, the noise sounds like being chased by the police, its that loud...

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Aye, well, have now had a word with the people who did the remap
and they are going to have a look on saturday for free.

Still think it shouldnt be as loud as it is so may as well have it checked out...

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
sounds like the famous owl noise that I had. the noise is there on a standard car but is so quiet it may not be so noticeable. The remap just brings it to the fore. There is a thread on her somewhere about it. Do a search for owl noise.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Was it you who had the car done at www.chiptuners.co.uk @ Pickering??

Still pondering on taking mine there (when I put my summer tyres back on anyway!) - its good that they are taking a look for you, and hopefully its something easily sorted or not caused by the remap.

Chris

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Was it you who had the car done at www.chiptuners.co.uk @ Pickering??

Still pondering on taking mine there (when I put my summer tyres back on anyway!) - its good that they are taking a look for you, and hopefully its something easily sorted or not caused by the remap.

Chris

Yeah, that's me. Took half a day and went to see them this afternoon - they've ran VAGcom and its showing no faults. Just to be safe, they've put the standard map back on and I'll take to the dealers - still whistling like a good un even
with the standard map.

Cant fault the guys at pickering - they've even offered to drive up to Durham and put the map back for free, once I get the car sorted.

Cheers for the replies, will keep you posted.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
we've got a 140 in the office at the moment, 20,000 miles ish on it and a new turbo needed for it ..

even standard ones can go wrong, so if your dealer does find a problem, remember it isn't necessarily due to the map.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
we've got a 140 in the office at the moment, 20,000 miles ish on it and a new turbo needed for it ..

even standard ones can go wrong, so if your dealer does find a problem, remember it isn't necessarily due to the map.

Yeah, thats the second 140 I've heard about that needed a new turbo....

Anyway, car is booked in at stealers first thing Mon morning.

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I had my turbo replaced due to excessive howling noise.
It was picked up by a technician before I took delivery of the car.

New turbo is a little bit quieter.

Now that I've had it remapped, the turbo can be heard spooling up but not as bad as before.

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
I`m on 3rd turbo 2007 mdl yr 2.0 TDI Styance last one changed at changed at end of July. Now done another 6000 miles, no smoking but overall average mpg still not over 40 at 13000.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Aye

Update on this - had car in at stealers yesterday. Surprise surprise that some spotty YTS guy (looked about 12) suggests that the whistle is my turbo. After re-creating the "owl" noise they looked at it and came up with nothing. No fault codes etc. No leaky pipes (according to them)..

They said that they'd send a report to Seat and see what they come back with.

Mate of mine thinks it could be EGR valve - piccies here

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/1036118.aspx

Turbo seems to be spooling up really early - possibly valve stuck open? I'm no mechanic like...

racerkart

Would that be me?:funk:

Looked at the VW link again and the pic has the EGR Closed where as yours is open. I'll be available Monday and Friday afternoon for a visit to SEAT this is ideal for me but anytime will do - always love telling wippersnappers they suck - it'll be twice now:lol:

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Would that be me?:funk:

Looked at the VW link again and the pic has the EGR Closed where as yours is open. I'll be available Monday and Friday afternoon for a visit to SEAT this is ideal for me but anytime will do - always love telling wippersnappers they suck - it'll be twice now:lol:

Indeed. Have spoke to service manager and he "can see where you are coming from" but isnt offering anything up. Report is due back from Seat today so will see what it reveals...if anything. They've promised to ring me.

racerkart

"I can see where coming from - but i think your full of s**t" Typical!!!

racerkart

Well - no doubt The Cat will feed back when he gets a chance but it was the turbo - still amazed though the noise was nowhere near the turbo and resonnated over a meter away??? Egg on my face.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Out of interest did you get everything sorted??

Chris

Yeah, turbo replaced under warranty. The map is back on and touch wood, so far so good.

Its still a slight concern that quite a few people now have had turbos replaced on their 140s. Think I'll be changing when the warranty runs out...

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Yeah, turbo replaced under warranty. The map is back on and touch wood, so far so good.

Its still a slight concern that quite a few people now have had turbos replaced on their 140s. Think I'll be changing when the warranty runs out...

Cheers for the update... Reason I asked was Im getting the car remapped after the 1st service, and I'll prob take it to the same guys as you...

Chris

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise