Removal of stuck on registraion plates

bigchrissyg

Hey all,

I ordered new reg plates for my LC as the old one on the back has water underneith the laminate and makes my car look scruffy... that's no good! :)

Problem is the current ones have been stuck ('welded'!!) on with what looks like double-sided foam tape. Is this standard for the facelift LC's?

Anyone got any advise on the best way to remove the old ones without causing damage to the bumper trims? Also whats good sticky tape to use to stick the new ones on?

Cheers
Chris :)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
Same thing with mine, also has water underneath the laminate - haven't gotten around to it yet but I suspect the best way of doing this without damaging the bumper will be a hairdryer.

This should melt the stick on the foam and let you gently pry it off - cleaning the left over crap will be a pain though, so I figure just ignore it and put the new one over the top :)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Use toothfloss :)

Like a sawing action it will cut through the foam easily, then use fingers to roll off the remaining foam and wd-40, GT85 or bit of white spirit to remove the sticky residue.

New ones can be stuck on with replacement foam pads, that can be bought on ebay or from halfords etc...

swissrebel

May 17, 2007

Like a sawing action it will cut through the foam easily, then use fingers to roll off the remaining foam and wd-40, GT85 or bit of white spirit to remove the sticky residue.

New ones can be stuck on with replacement foam pads, that can be bought on ebay or from halfords etc...

Probably more sensible than my idea - guess applying heat could cause discolouration on the bumper.

bigchrissyg

Good idea!! As it happens, I have two lots of toothfloss sitting in the bathroom... buy one get one free.

cheers for the input fella's

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Probably more sensible than my idea - guess applying heat could cause discolouration on the bumper.

No a hair dryer works well but is a pain if you live in a terrace, don't have a garage and have to run a 20ft extension cable to the car and the funny looks and curtains twitching if you have a hairdryer on outside on a sunday morning :lol:

Deleted member 20482

agree with r6 allan
by far the best way to remove stuck on number plates as well as debadging your rear end.
nuff said

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
funny cos i was gonna ask the same question yesterday as i changed my plates, i just pried it off slowly with a screwdriver covered in cloth didnt do any damage

hhh1234

Mar 22, 2007
N.Ireland
i have funky plates on my car and for the mot i take them off and put the proper ones on. with regards to taking them off you just grab hold and pries it off the double sided foam just ripps in two. after that try and take as much of the remaining stcky stuff off. i found that a little white spirit ( A LITTLE)and rub it on the remaining foam. to restick the new plates on you can buy the same double sided foam from halfords.

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Thought floss (or fishing tackle line) was used for debadging.

Should be OK just to pull the plates off if you are getting new ones. Can't think there will be any damage.

At least stick on ones are better than the nasty holes dealers drill in the bodywork!!

bigchrissyg

Well... finally got out there and have a dig... In the end a plastic scrapper, a bit of cardboard to stop scratching, and a lot of perserverance with some whitespirit did the job!

Looking smarter now though... very happy indeed :)

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
mine were stuck on
priv plates are too and have removed them a few times

i always just slowly pull it off, it will come and you wont damage your bumper mate

speedsix

Leon Cupra R 225
Oct 30, 2004
i have funky plates on my car and for the mot i take them off and put the proper ones on. with regards to taking them off you just grab hold and pries it off the double sided foam just ripps in two. after that try and take as much of the remaining stcky stuff off. i found that a little white spirit ( A LITTLE)and rub it on the remaining foam. to restick the new plates on you can buy the same double sided foam from halfords.
Plates aren't checked on the mot, I wouldn't bother.

I just pulled mine off, easy.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.