Remove Black Swirls?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Can anyone recommend a product to remove swirls from black paint?

I've got to clay the whole car to remove all the crap on my paintwork......i've done a small area and got the paint super smooth.....but the car is covered in swirls..

I'm going to cleanyourcar in the morning, can anyone recommend a product they stock?

I've already got the Collinite 476 wax for the final stage....

Also, when I tested out the little area with claying I was left with a haze from the clay, will anything remove this or do I just use the same product that will remove the swirls?

Cheers,
Chris

Keano

try the menzerna range Chris with a hex logic chem guys pad.

...assuming you have a machine polisher that is :)

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
If the swirls are fairly light Auto Glym Super Resign Polish (SRP) or a Glaze (CYC will be able to assist here as there are loads) will fill some of the swirls. If they are heavier then you arent going to remove them without the use of a machine polisher.

When you clayed the car did you make sure you had the panels well lubricated / wetted by some sort of solution? It sounds very much like you have created "marring" which is what you are seeing on the patches you tested the clay on... you need to really soak the area you are claying and keep it wet while using the clay.

Again, these marks can be reduced by hand when using SRP or a dedicated polish, to fully remove them though its a machine job.

If you have never used a machine polisher then i wouldnt recommend you jumping straight in without gaining some sort of knowledge or experience first.

HTH, Nige

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Well, went to Cleanyourcar today as its only round the corner from me.

Spoke to the bloke who owns it, he advised me to get:-

Carlack Scratch Remover paste (250g)
Carlack Polishing Paste (250g)
Ultimate German applicator

I might go back tomorrow and get the dual action polisher machine..........but as i'm a complete noob at using polishing machines I do'nt know if I will create more problems than actualy solve.

Hummmmmm

Mat

do u need a machine polisher to get rid of swirls? thanks

to remove swirls, yes you do

or you can hide them with a "filler" type polish such as
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Poorboys Black Hole

Not used Black Hole, but heard it's top stuff, especially on dark coloured cars

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

I might go back tomorrow and get the dual action polisher machine..........but as i'm a complete noob at using polishing machines I do'nt know if I will create more problems than actualy solve.

Hummmmmm

Go and get the DA - as long as you follow basic rules you'll be fine.

Clean paint
Clean pads
Start with least agressive polish and least agressive pad
Take your time.

Register on www.detailingworld.co.uk or read the FAQ on the polishedbliss site. Everything you need to know is there :)

Jim@WD

to remove swirls, yes you do

or you can hide them with a "filler" type polish such as
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Poorboys Black Hole

Not used Black Hole, but heard it's top stuff, especially on dark coloured cars

Not sure as though Limeprime is masking any of the swirls Mat, it'd be correcting them if anything. As far as I'm aware, it contains micro-abrasives which give the 'cut', but, no fillers...:confused:?!

BlackHole IS good stuff though.. Let me find you an example:

BH's filling abilities on a solid black e39 M5 by hand,

DSC00945wd.jpg
DSC00946wd.jpg

Before:
DSC00952wd.jpg

After:
DSC00951wd.jpg

As the above was only for a Protection Detail as such, I decided to show the chap what was possible with a bit more time, money and effort. This was the result on the bootlid from Dodo Juice Limeprime alone (by rotary application)

Before:
DSC00918wd.jpg

50/50 (with slight hologramming)
DSC00921wd.jpg

After:
DSC00934wd.jpg

DSC00938wd.jpg

DSC00919wd.jpg

Dependant on the paint type, Limeprime is a very capable product.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
was thinking the same... to my knowledge LimePrime doesnt contain fillers... its a paint cleanser with fine abbrasives to give correction with the right application (polisher and pad combos).

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids

Hummmmmm

You'll have spoken to Tim then.... i havent tried the CarLack products yet but they get good enough results. If you going to be applying those products by hand then get a couple of the german applicators, they are good applicators, i've got a few of them, one side is slightly firmer than the other so you use one side to polish and the other side to apply waxes etc.

To be honest as long as your careful and take your time with a DA you shouldnt cause any problems. if you can get access to one its always worth getting a scrap panel like a bonnet of door from somewhere to practice on first if you really are nervous about it.

Mat

nice work Jim! Long time since I've read anything from you! What you doin on here? Things going ok

As for LP, I always thought it was thrown in the same "group" with SRP. I have used it on a rotary as a single stage when I gave mine it's winter prep (got a full correction in May, so was just applying to cleanse the paint, and see to any additional marks)

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
i use black hole, gives a very nice finish, after 2 coats its loads better.

im going to take the machine polishing route next as mine needs a bit of TLC.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.