Remove interior trim for rear washer hose leak

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Rear washer is ineffective, front passenger side footwell is wet and smells of screenwash. I'm guessing there's a leak in that area.
How do I remove the plastic trim that sits around the door opening, particularly the bottom of the A-pillar?
No screws are visible - does the glovebox need to come out?

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Update.
The leak appears to be further up, behind the fuseboard behind the glovebox.
There is a hose joint/connection lower down behind the trim around the bonnet release lever which had become disconnected but there is something further up leaking as well.
Whatever eejit designed these cars really should be made to have a go at fixing them :mad:

Any suggestions on how I can get to whatever it is that's spraying screenwash all over the back of the fuseboard? I'd rather not remove the entire dashboard, but its looking like that might be the way :(

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
Have a look in the workshop manuals at the link below. I’ve not checked but the ‘General body repairs - interior’ workshop manual is s probably the one that deals with the removal of the trim parts around the door opening.

Hi @SRGTD, do you happen to have Leon Mk4 workshop manuals? PHEV e-hybrid in particular. I've read the many threads about screen-washer pipe leaks on the Mk3, and it appears I have a similar issue on my 2yr old Mk4. If I knew in advance where the pipe & joints were it would help, it sounds like it's p1ssing out in front of the dashboard (RHD) when I try to wash the rear screen.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi @SRGTD, do you happen to have Leon Mk4 workshop manuals? PHEV e-hybrid in particular. I've read the many threads about screen-washer pipe leaks on the Mk3, and it appears I have a similar issue on my 2yr old Mk4. If I knew in advance where the pipe & joints were it would help, it sounds like it's p1ssing out in front of the dashboard (RHD) when I try to wash the rear screen.
Sorry, no I don’t.

Maybe there are other forum members that do (and could post up a link)?

Reactions: EVangelist

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Update.
The leak appears to be further up, behind the fuseboard behind the glovebox.
There is a hose joint/connection lower down behind the trim around the bonnet release lever which had become disconnected but there is something further up leaking as well.
Whatever eejit designed these cars really should be made to have a go at fixing them :mad:

Any suggestions on how I can get to whatever it is that's spraying screenwash all over the back of the fuseboard? I'd rather not remove the entire dashboard, but its looking like that might be the way :(

You might be able to get the blower motor out as well as glovebox and infotainment system. I did that when I changed my heater matrix and it gave you fairly good access to the dash area. No idea if that will get you where you need to get to though.

Reactions: skyrocketeer

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
You might be able to get the blower motor out as well as glovebox and infotainment system. I did that when I changed my heater matrix and it gave you fairly good access to the dash area. No idea if that will get you where you need to get to though.
Does the blower motor live on the passenger side of the bulkhead as well then? I'm silica free so I'm hoping the heater matrix can be left unmolested.

I'm planning on updating the infotainment system to something that'll do android auto later on this year, so to avoid pulling everything to bits twice, I've told the missus to not use the rear screenwash, and I'll fix it in the summer when I can have it apart over a weekend or so.

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
The rear screen wash hose only has 1 joiner which is by the bonnet release handle, and conveniently above the main engine to body loom connectors. It's assembled like this so if you take the engine loom out you can disconnect nearly the whole thing from one place, wiring and screen wash pipework together. If you have a leak from further up then it would have to be cracked somewhere. As you sure it didn't just spray out where the joiner had come apart and splash around everywhere? I had this a few weeks ago on my Mk3 Leon after the screen wash froze and I tried to wash the rear window.

Reactions: skyrocketeer

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Does the blower motor live on the passenger side of the bulkhead as well then? I'm silica free so I'm hoping the heater matrix can be left unmolested.

I'm planning on updating the infotainment system to something that'll do android auto later on this year, so to avoid pulling everything to bits twice, I've told the missus to not use the rear screenwash, and I'll fix it in the summer when I can have it apart over a weekend or so.

Assuming you are RH drive, the blower is under the glovebox in the passenger footwell. You don't interfere with the heater matrix - they just need to come out if you plan to do that job. If you're swapping the infotainment system at some point - then like you say - you can do it all at the same time.

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
The rear screen wash hose only has 1 joiner which is by the bonnet release handle, and conveniently above the main engine to body loom connectors. It's assembled like this so if you take the engine loom out you can disconnect nearly the whole thing from one place, wiring and screen wash pipework together. If you have a leak from further up then it would have to be cracked somewhere. As you sure it didn't just spray out where the joiner had come apart and splash around everywhere? I had this a few weeks ago on my Mk3 Leon after the screen wash froze and I tried to wash the rear window.

Sorry just spotted this.. ^^^

The initial leak may or may not have been from the coupling by the bonnet handle, but on reconnecting it and triggering the pump fresh screenwash definitely came down from above, which leads to your suggestion of a damaged hose :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.