Removing engine cover

ST03VEN

yeh thats wot i always thot, also i always wondered why that pipe at the 90 degree angle is peppered with holes, of wot benifit is that?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
i have no idea why its at 90 degress i was thinking about drilling it with a small size bit but its still under warranty. im guessing its because seat were trying not to get too much air into the airfilter (course theyll use paper filters who knows) but my 1.4 (with k&n) revs alot more without struggleing to get to speed i now do around 90 most times i drive it (without knowing im doing 90!) i did 98 were i struggled to do around 85 with norm air filter!

ST03VEN

Lookin forward to gettin this new k&n panel filter, didnt realise it was that much better than the standard paper filter. Might try and think of a way of gettin more cold air to it aswell :D

ST03VEN

Was just thinking, u know how the air box that holds the filter, could u not drill like a 4 inch hole in the side of it and have a cold air pipe going up to it? or would that mess about with sensors too much as the air wouldnt be going through the original standard air pipe going to the box?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
the best way to get more cold air inside plus taking the pipes would be to cut off the front lower part of the engine cover (were the air flows through) then attach a pipe from the bit u cut to a front grill now that would get loads of cold air and keep the pipes connected but i think the computer would recononise the air flow difference then it wouldt be as good as just the panel K&N air filter! (sometimes induction kits on there own looses u Bhp! because of the computer! tested on a rolling road!)

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
ST03VEN, u would just make alot more air into the air box u would still have the origianl pipe were the air goes at the moment if u did that i think the comp may reconise that and decresse the Bhp.

ST03VEN

fitted my K&N replacement filter today, very pleased with it, i notice the engine note is a wee bit deeper when high up the revs which makes my exhaust sound even better :D it feels a bit more responsive now too which is great, for the money u cant complain :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.