Removing front anti-roll bar

petay_pan

Oct 27, 2005
Hi everyone, i'm still suffering from a long standing issue with vibration at high revs that only started happening a month or two ago, would have taken it in by now but it have come and gone a couple of times and everytime I threaten to take it to the garage b the next morning it is cleared up and only happens over bumpy roads.

the vibration happens at high revs and sounds/feels like something is slightly loose and resonating after 4k rpm it can be in gear, out of gear, standing still or moving and have narrowed down what i believe to be the source of it all to be coming from behind the pedals so either sub-frame, steering rack or anti-roll bar. doubting its the sub-frame im left with the other two options.

using the ever popular process of elimination I was wondering whether i could disconnect the anti-roll bar links or completely remove the anti-roll bar and take it for a drive over some bumps and it would be ok and not end up with me in a ditch??? obviously I wouldn't be hammering it into corners and would be very carefull as i only want to find out if it still happens with it disconnected - if so i know its the steering most likely.

any help or other sugggestions to this please let me know, i am reluctant to go to a garage unitl i have pin pointed a source.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
try the engine mounts, get a spanner man to lift the engine with a pry bar whilst it's being run up on the ramp to confirm.

petay_pan

Oct 27, 2005
i checked all engine mounts are torqued up correctly as it happened couple of weeks after my cambelt change. havent tried what you said though

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
I think its either the engine mounts (try the dogbone mount as well) or an issue with the exhaust as its rev related.

petay_pan

Oct 27, 2005
well i changed the dog bone mount bushing but that didn't sort it, as for the other two top mounts its possible I guess. exhaust seems fine.

the noise happens now just as you go over bumps which made me think steering or anti-roll bar as when wheel goes up into arch over bump they are to bits that get the force of it aswell. car is lowered aswell but only 35mm i think.

i got car second hand and noticed that the fuse box cover and the clutch foot rest bit of plastic have both been removed previously both of which give access to steering wheels bits and bobs.....maybe problem that have occured before?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise