Removing Steering Rack 2.0 8v

dmc4087

Mar 17, 2009
Hi guys,
Going to remove my steering rack tonight to try and find an oil leak. Any tips on doing so? Seems straight forward enough but thought I would ask just incase.

1997 2.0 8v

Thanks

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
on a mk2 golf ( almost identical ) you have to lower the subframe slightly to squeeze the rack out sideways. im not 100% on this as when i did it the engine was out and subframe removed, guess thats abit extreme for you though lol.

dmc4087

Mar 17, 2009
Nothings too extreme, might just mean that it wont be happening tonight lol. I dont think the subframe is in the way on the Ibiza but knowing my luck it could be.

Thanks mate

dmc4087

Mar 17, 2009
After furthur inspection last night, it appears you may be right!

I found the source of the leak though, its from a seal(?) at the passenger end of the rack, which can be seen when the boot is removed. Can this be replaced or is it non-servicable?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
if its the seal under the gaitor ive never known one replaced, it must be do-able though as thats all that happens if it gets sent away for "recon" certainly on my golf was about 5 times cheaper to get a rack of a scrapy or ebay and i chucked the leaking one.

dmc4087

Mar 17, 2009
Phoned Seat yesterday for a replacement seal but they didnt have anything. A friend in a VW dealership here thinks he can get a replacement seal though. If not, I can get a replacement rack for 40 pound, so not too bad.
Thanks

Last edited: