Removing the nut on the steering arm ball joint

Sep 4, 2009
Hi tried to change my springs the other day but we got stumped by the ball joint on the steering arm. When trying to undo the 19mm nut underneath the bolt just spins and we couldnt get it off. There is a 6mm allen key at the end of the bolt but the nut is so tight that this just rounds when trying to undo it. Any ideas? Or can i remove the suspension unit by just removing the drive shaft?

Thanks

dom b

With the weight of the car supported(axel stands),put a trolly jack under the steering arm ball joint and jack up the suspention(ONLY A BIT) just enough to stop the ball joint from spinning when you try to undo the nut.hope this helps.

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
i had exactly this problem when i went to remove my suspension, i got the nut most of the way off then exactly the same happened to me, i then took the grinder out and ground the bottom off the nut and got two of my mate to put pressure on the top of the ball joint via a massive wrecking bar and the nut came off i then obviously had to buy new ones but they are cheap enough at about £16 each

andy_w

Not done it on the leon yet but if its like a Mk4 Golf the strut will come out of the hub carrier. So you wouldn't need to undo the ball joint nut. Also some VAG ball joints are removable held by 3 10mm bolts just get some penatrating fluid on there 1st.

Sep 4, 2009
With the weight of the car supported(axel stands),put a trolly jack under the steering arm ball joint and jack up the suspention(ONLY A BIT) just enough to stop the ball joint from spinning when you try to undo the nut.hope this helps.

We tried this! Almost jacked up the whole car weight!

Sep 4, 2009
Not done it on the leon yet but if its like a Mk4 Golf the strut will come out of the hub carrier. So you wouldn't need to undo the ball joint nut. Also some VAG ball joints are removable held by 3 10mm bolts just get some penatrating fluid on there 1st.

Sorry bit of a newbie with car mechanics what do you mean by hub carrier? Quite a lot of the stuff on this car is similar to a mk4 golf i had so this may work!

dom b

We tried this! Almost jacked up the whole car weight!

Must be seriously tight! you tried plenty of WD40?

but as the above post states,there's no real need to undo this.The hub carrier is the part that clamps the bottom of the strut(spring and shock).undo this and open the clamp(a cold chisel and hammer might help)and the strut should come free of the hub carrier when you push down on the lower wishbone.compressing the spring may also help you free the strut,it will give you more clareance.

Sep 4, 2009
Oh i think he thought we would need to remove one to get some rotation on the joint to get the strut out.

And yes used lots of wd40!

dom b

Forgot to mention that removing the anti roll bar droplink from the wishbone will enable you to push the wishbone down further to remove the strut from the hub carrrier.

dom b

Oh i think he thought we would need to remove one to get some rotation on the joint to get the strut out.

And yes used lots of wd40!

You can turn the steering wheel to give you any rotation you might need,but its more downward movement (wishbone) you will need.the hardest part is usually freeing the strut from the hub carrier.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
Hi tried to change my springs the other day but we got stumped by the ball joint on the steering arm. When trying to undo the 19mm nut underneath the bolt just spins and we couldnt get it off. There is a 6mm allen key at the end of the bolt but the nut is so tight that this just rounds when trying to undo it. Any ideas? Or can i remove the suspension unit by just removing the drive shaft?

Thanks

why would you be undoing the ball joint to remove the suspension strut?

absolutly no need to do this.

and certainly dont need to be removing the driveshaft.

have you researched and learned how to fit suspension diy mate? simple job tbh, that doesnt involved ball joints and/or driveshaft removal.

just undo the arb link thats into the wishbone, thatll drop it a little allowing you to remove the strut.
tools are the key. but id start again by purchasing a haynes, or looking at dpjs coilover guide before trying again.

Sep 4, 2009
I am trying to do this again today! I have a haynes manual to follow but it is for a vw golf mk4. They are very similar vehicles but when i have taken out the clamp bolt around the strut it mentions removing the bolts and retaining plate from the ball joint to the lower arm. However on my car there is no retaining plate just three bolts. You recommended removing the arb i guess this would do the same thing, free up some room! Im a bit cautious of undoing the arb to have it spring back and me not be able to fit it again. Would you recommend what would happen?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The ARB is not under any load.
This will freely spin by hand to line this up.
You don't say which model of Leon you have?
The LCR is different to the other models.
If you can tell us which model you have this will allow us to help you further.
Also tell us exactly what you are trying to do.

Sep 4, 2009
The ARB is not under any load.
This will freely spin by hand to line this up.
You don't say which model of Leon you have?
The LCR is different to the other models.
If you can tell us which model you have this will allow us to help you further.
Also tell us exactly what you are trying to do.

For it not to be any load do i need to have both the front wheels jacked up? Or if i undid it would i be able to do it back up when the wheels are back on the ground?

I have a 2002 1.6 S leon

Im trying the remove the struts to fit different springs.

Thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Okay.
Spray all nuts to be removed with penetrant
So loosen wheel nuts, jack up car, remove both front wheels.
Remove hub carrier bolt that clamps the strutt bottom in place.
Remove the ARB bolts.
With spring compressors, compress springs till they have no tension on the strutt
Now the easy bit, slide the strutt out of the hub carrier.
You might have to loosen off the sub frame so the drive shafts don't clash with this.
Once out of the hub carrier. Remove the upper strutt bolts and refit this in reverse with new top mount bushes and bearings liberally greased with new bolts.
With the strutt out clean everything, de rust and grease
Then refit in the reverse of removing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.