Removing the speedo section

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Hi everybody!

My buddy is about to make me an electronic boost gauge. It will be with 15 orange-red diodes matching the rest of the car.

They will be placed in this row:
http://www.espeloev.dk/dash.jpg

But, I have to check for clearance behind the unit. So, what will happen if I remove the hole section (unplug cables etc.)

Will vagcom complain? Or is it safe to do. I really dont want to get a bunch of errorcode just because I unplug the speedo/rpm unit.

Hope anyone had tried the same!

/Best regards

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
your car won't start... if you really must do the mod you want to - relocate the unit elsewhere under the dash

May 13, 2007
Denmark
May'be I should just clear it up a bit :eek:)

I just mean unplaug it, fix the gauge and plug it in again.
I'm not attending to drive without the speedo :eek:)

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
If you tamper with cluster and damage any bits, this will prevent the car to start and new cluster as well follwed by reprogramming

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Ok, so there are no needs for disconnecting the battery if I choose to get it out?

And the car will not give any errorcodes?

May 13, 2007
Denmark
Sounds good then! But how the *bip* do I get the plastic thing out? I removed the two screws and pulled the clips in the middlesection free. But I cant get the dam thing out!

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
it will come out, i had to take mine out a while back cos the speedo needle fell off lol. put the steering wheel to its lowest position and have to try and reach your hand in behind the dials and they have plastic clip that you have to lift on the 2 plugs that go into the dials (easiest way to get to them i found was reaching in from the top left corner) that are hinged and will pull the plug out as you open them. Quite hard to explain in words but i hope this helps fella

PS i diconnected the battery just incase and had no probs when i put the dials back in.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Ok mate, right the plastic surround will unclip with a bit of a pull at the bottom (but dont pull it to far out).

Then you have to try and also pull the top down a little (where the two blue arrows are (the holes for the screws go slightly into the dash, so will stop the balck plastic piece from coming out)).

Underneath the plastic surround there are 2 screws that hold the dials in (these are on each side of the ribbed plastic piece that stops a gap appearing when you move the steering column. See green dots in the picture).

When you have removed these then you will have enough room to pull the dials out far enough to disconnect the complete unit (drop the steering wheel to its lowest position) and then remove it through or over the top of the steering wheel

leondash.jpg

sorry difficult to explain but hope this helps mate

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.