jezyg

Retro fit auto lights

NigelPatrick

Jun 17, 2020
@jezyg I just ordered one off eBay but didn't read the thread fully so I am unsure if this needs coding... I have no idea how to do coding so I feel like I just wasted £25 lol.

RavH

Jul 23, 2020
After a bit of experimenting around yesterday I finally found a location for the sensor that restricts enough of the available light to make it actuate the headlights at the right level of light outside. It's still very discrete, especially when the door is closed and a bonus is that there is no routing of the wire under the windscreen pillar trim to mess around with.

Like previous posters I lost two of the steel spring clips that attach to the plastic dash end panel but managed to fish them out with no trouble.

While driving around yesterday the headlights were coming on for me at sensible outside light levels so I'll see how things go over the next week and decide if any further positioning is required.

One additional bonus (IMHO) is that the dashboard illumination is now permanently on, with the switch in Auto. A downside is that the sat nav display is now in dark mode however I've changed the setting so it's permanently in daytime mode, day and night.

One other thing I've noticed now is that the illuminated headlight symbol does not appear when the headlights are on.
How's the headlight sensor holding up until now? Have you still kept it in the same position still?

Oct 6, 2020
So I received my Auto Headlight Switch from eBay 2 weeks after ordering which I'm quite happy about. Got it all plugged in and the actual auto headlight function works fine. Headlights come on about 2 seconds after entering the dark and then go back to DRLs when back in the light. However I can't for the life of me seem to get the Coming/ Leaving Home function to work. I have followed some online instructions (Auto - 0 - Auto etc.) and nothing seems to work. Does anyone who has the same switch have any straight forward way of explaining how to get this to work? Any help would be appreciated!
Did you ever manage to get that sorted? Thinking of doing this mod as I don't have access to VCDs to do the other method.
It's mainly only for the coming/leaving home lights I would be doing it aswell so would like to know before buying, cheers.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Did you ever manage to get that sorted? Thinking of doing this mod as I don't have access to VCDs to do the other method.
It's mainly only for the coming/leaving home lights I would be doing it aswell so would like to know before buying, cheers.

No I never managed to figure out the coming/ leaving home function to be honest. Gave up trying after a while, never got any decent instructions from the seller or online. It works fine in terms of auto lights when it gets dark/ driving into tunnels etc. I still have to flick the light stalk to activate coming home.

Reactions: Calum98

Priteshmakanjee

Pritesh91
Jan 26, 2018
West Midlands
Got another auto light switch and got the RLHS for the windscreen and I have seen couple of guys with Vcds and everything works but CH/LH lights still not working..
I think it’s got to do with settings or there is a module somewhere so right now I’ve given up,

Reactions: Calum98
Oct 6, 2020
I managed to get auto lights and leaving/coming home lights. I bought this switch n sensor

After putting it in it started working straight away, but to get the coming home lights on I had to use carista. The switch itself is pretty nice looking aswell.

Attachments

• 31F91CE9-5B86-4AE1-BB9B-39AFE814DFF4.jpeg
    31F91CE9-5B86-4AE1-BB9B-39AFE814DFF4.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 192
Sep 19, 2020
So. I bought a switch with a sensor built into it. Coming home etc worked no problems. I thought where the sensor was may have been causing the lights to come on most of the time as the dash was lit up but just drls on. So I bought a switch with a separate sensor. Auto lights work great but no coming home lights etc.
Im clueless what to do now. The switch with sensor was for a mk7 golf. The one with a separate sensor a bit older could that have something to do with it?

Fam991

Apr 7, 2020
Bought the same switch from amazon for £30 with sensor build in and very easy installation. Everything works apart from fog lights.

Sep 28, 2020
Anyone used car scanner pro app to code auto lights? I have the right rain sensor but want to buy an auto light switch and code it just thought I’d ask if it’s straight forward. Tried a search but not found much other than some saying they have done it

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Anyone used car scanner pro app to code auto lights? I have the right rain sensor but want to buy an auto light switch and code it just thought I’d ask if it’s straight forward. Tried a search but not found much other than some saying they have done it
I have the car scanner pro app on iPhone. I think you cannot do that through this app. You need VCDS/OBD11.

Sep 5, 2022
Hey all! I believe I already got the sensor on the windshield (some sort of sensor right below the rear view mirror), but got no idea what is it for ? No auto wipers are on the buttons, not autolight switch, car got no smart cruise control either. If I would to buy a light switch with autolight option, do I require any coding at all if that is the right sensor there ?

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
Hey all! I believe I already got the sensor on the windshield (some sort of sensor right below the rear view mirror), but got no idea what is it for ? No auto wipers are on the buttons, not autolight switch, car got no smart cruise control either. If I would to buy a light switch with autolight option, do I require any coding at all if that is the right sensor there ?
I had a sensor already there but it was only for humidity or something.... You'll need the sensor, the switch and a bit of coding, either VCDS or one of the dongle jobbers......

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: P4ndem1c
Sep 5, 2022
I had a sensor already there but it was only for humidity or something.... You'll need the sensor, the switch and a bit of coding, either VCDS or one of the dongle jobbers......

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Im just not exactly sure of what is it for. It is facing the windshield to the outside but haven't got around to check what would the actual lights sensor location would be and looks of it

Sep 5, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_102524.jpg
    IMG_20220907_102524.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20220907_102529.jpg
    IMG_20220907_102529.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 92