Reverse Gear Doesn't Always Disengage - Leon 1.2 TSI ST 15 plate

Nov 13, 2023
Good evening all.

I've had a Seat Leon 1.2. TSI Technoogy (15 plate) for about 5 months.

Love the car, but have been having some intermittent problems with gears for about 3 months.

And apologies in advance, but I'm not an expert at all with cars and don't really know much aside from the basics.

What happens is that occasionally when changing from reverse gear to 1st, reverse doesn't disengage. So when I put it into 1st, and release the clutch and press the accelerator, the car still reverses. If I then put it into neutral and then back to 1st all is good and it works as expected again and moves forward. Then it might not do it again for 24-48 hours.

It probably happens once a day and for the first few weeks I couldn't work out what was going on, even thinking it might be driver error. But tonight it was slightly different and reverse was engaged when I put it into 1st from 3rd.

My mechanic who is good has looked at the car but didn't experience the fault first hand when he had it in. Checked gear linkages, lubrication etc but couldn't say what it was without experiencing the fault himself.

It's driving me a bit nuts to be honest - I'm using the car every day in city centre rush-hour traffic and its a worry.

Many thanks.