Reversing sounds like chewy from star wars!!

kate

Has anyone else got problems when reversing and braking? When i reverse and brake it sounds like Chewy from starwars is sreaming at me from the back seat! My neighbours even complain that it wakes them up if i get back and park late at night. I have taken it in to 2 different dealers 3 times, and they just tell me it's 'normal', and that all LCR's do it. The dealers are terrible and unhelpful, I have been in the motor trade for 6 years, so i'm not a dumb blonde who doesn't know about cars! I am now dealing with Seat UK who are no better! :cry:

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
Its the rear brakes I believe, mines does it if you just brush the brakes or the handbrake isn't quite off. Maybe your rear brakes need adjusted ?

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
Would love to offer advice but only thing I can think of is either back brakes binding or something relating to the rear suspension. does it only happen when you are moving or when you put the car in to reverse gear ?

kate

They have adjusted the brakes, copper slipped them, and checked the handbrake hundreds of times .... Seat said it could be the caliper was making contact with the discs, but theres nothing they can do about it! I'm not happy their comment!

kate

It only happens when reversing, i don't even have to be braking, But it is worse when i do.

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
but if the caliper is making contact surely it should do it going forward ? do you feel any pulsing through the brake pedal when slowing down ?

kate

No Pulsing, doesn't effect braking, and doesn't do it when going forward. Theres a brain teaser for you.. :blink:

kate

Yes, if i brake hard it stops for a short while. Its a very strange, loud noise and does sound like bad brake binding, I have even sent a DVD clip to Seat to try and assist in diagnosing it.

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
have the agents removed the pads ? are the disk scored in anyway ? possibly from debris caught between the pad and disk ?. I know there are other LCR owners who have an odd noise when reversing .Not sure if it is related though. Lame suggestion but replace the back brake pads and see if it improves the noise.

Craigc

Dec 9, 2004
Edinburgh
Before you replace anything give the rear brakes a good blast with a pressure washer and see if that helps. Might clear out anything thats stuck between the pad and disk.

DantheMan

Hi Kate,

I think my LCR has just developed the same noise too!!

I can only describe it as a groaning noise when reversing, as though the handbrake is still on and brakes are catching maybe.

The strange thing is that this has only just developed over the past 2 weeks or so.

Strange ?????

Steve_B

Stacy mmmm.......
May 6, 2005
West Yorkshire
Load of threads on this, do a search for reverse brakes & noise, it's a common feature of the LC & LCR

My LC has the squeeky brake problem when it's reversing which I think can be fixed under warranty by the dealer replacing the brake cable

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Common problem throughout the VAG range. Also effects the Skoda Octavia (same rear brakes) we have a balance weight kit out that helps with the noise, acts as a damper that cancels out the vibrations. Comes from the design of the rear axle.

Problem dates back to the MK2 Golf btw..lol

kate

They have sorted the noise now!! - It took quite a few stroppy calls and letters to Seat UK though. I had to send them a DVD of the noise as they convinced themselves i was over exaggerating and it was just a brake squeak which they couldn't do anything about. On Fridday they fitted a balancing kit (well done Techie!) It works a treat and hasn't made a groan since!! What a struggle to get it done though!!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Can you make sure you let SEAT know that it has resolved the noise, I know they are looking for feedback on the sucess rate, cheers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.