Rhino remaps

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Hi everyone I have been looking at various companies weighing up my options and came across this company called rhino remaps in Bury.

The reviews seem incredible with majority all saying 5 stars. There a few 1 star reviews but these appear to be fake but just wondered what everyone's thoughts were and of course if anyone has used them.

There stage 1 plus is 190 which is 236bhp and additional 100nm of torque.

Cheers thanks
Screenshot_20220801-161835_Yahoo Mail.jpg
Screenshot_20220801-161843_Yahoo Mail.jpg

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
I wouldn't.

We're taking the missus' 2.0tdi for a tune next Tuesday and it'll be done correcly on a dyno, and they've said most for just software is around the 220 mark.
I really doubt they're gonna push 236 without testing it properly and if they do then be prepared for something to break.

Anything that cheap and without the use of proper testing methods doesn't sound good to me, spend a bit more and get either a Revo or Racing line map on it. Both are very reputable.

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'd personally stay away.

No one or thing is perfect and things often do go wrong. You don't know how good a company is until something does go wrong, as you get to see how they deal with it and their customer service for what could cost them money.

Going off the 1 star reviews, and how they deal with them, that would immediately put me off.

So that's the first red flag for me.

On the tuning front, do they have a Dyno? They claim to be using custom maps not generic files. So how are they making sure the maps are right? Most companies that offer true custom tuning will have it on a Dyno first. Also generic files are not all bad when they come from companies that have created these over 1,000s of miles across multiple cars, and lots of R&D, but they are generally only sold through their approved dealers (think Racingline and Revo).

So no dyno yet custom tunes? Second red flag.

BUT That is just my opinion from my own short research on the company. They could very well be an amazing company and deliver exactly what they say. The 1 star reviews may very well be FAKE NEWS, and the customer's own issues. But again, most reputable tuners will check the car over first anyway. And if there are any obvious faults, not work on the car if its detrimental to the car itself, until they're sorted.

Finally, the bit that says remaps are not harmful to the engine. Sorry but this isn't exactly correct. Engines are made with tolerances in mind, and the standard maps work to ensure the car is within these tolerances. The generics maps offered by the likes of Racingline and Revo again do something similar, which is why they will not make the peak numbers a custom tune will. But they are still eating into the tolerances. So they are putting more strain on the parts giving you less wiggle room for things to go wrong. Standard cars go wrong and fail, cars being pushed more are more likely to go wrong. You can have a standard car break within 5,000 miles, and a tuned car last 100,000 miles without an issue. you take your chances and roll the dice.

Anyway just my 2p

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

No one or thing is perfect and things often things do go wrong. You don't know how good a company is until something goes wrong, as you get to see how they deal with it.

Going off the 1 star reviews, and how they deals with them that would immediately put me off.

On the tuning front, does he have a Dyno? They claim to be using custom maps not generic files. So how are they making sure the maps are right? Most companies that offer true custom tuning will have it on a Dyno first. Also generic files are not all bad when they come from companies that have created these over 1,000s of miles across multiple cars, but they are generally only sold by them or through their approved dealers (think Racingline and Revo).

So no dyno but custom tunes? Second red flag.

Finally, the bit that says remaps are not harmful to the engine. Sorry but this isn't exactly correct. Engines are made with tolerances in mind, and the standard maps work to ensure the car is within these tolerances. The generics maps offered by the likes of Racingline and Revo again do something similar, which is why they will not make the peak numbers a customer tune will. But they are still eating into the tolerances. So they are putting more strain on the parts giving you less wiggle room for things to go wrong. Standard cars go wrong and fail, cars being pushed more are more likely to go wrong. You can have a standard car break within 5,000 miles, and a tuned car last 100,000 miles without an issue. you take your chances and roll the dice.

BUT That is just my opinion from my own short research. They could very well be an amazing company and deliver exactly what they say. The 1 star reviews may very well be FAKE NEWS, and the customer's own issues. But again, most reputable tuners will check the car over firs anyway. And if there are any obvious faults, not work on the car if its detrimental to the car itself.

Anyway just my 2p
From their FAQ section:
1659439123880.png

For me this confirms they don't use a rolling road.
I have also seen communications from them about already paying for the file so you can't get a refund - so this suggests they are installing maps created by someone else.

This service will all depend on the quality and suitability of the map they are purchasing from 'somewhere' & 'who' we don't know?

Either I wouldn't believe the 236bhp figure - or if it actually makes 236 it will be seeing seriously high exhaust gas temps which will not be reliable/safe.

Interesting videos on tuning the stock 184tdi from darkside on youtube.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
As others have said, this is almost certainly someone just flashing crap maps they download from someone else (franchise). No decent mapper is going to do it for just £160, also total bullshit that they write all the maps in house.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
From their FAQ section:
View attachment 33088
For me this confirms they don't use a rolling road.
I have also seen communications from them about already paying for the file so you can't get a refund - so this suggests they are installing maps created by someone else.

This service will all depend on the quality and suitability of the map they are purchasing from 'somewhere' & 'who' we don't know?

Either I wouldn't believe the 236bhp figure - or if it actually makes 236 it will be seeing seriously high exhaust gas temps which will not be reliable/safe.

Interesting videos on tuning the stock 184tdi from darkside on youtube.
So they must spend a lot of time on R&D putting every possible variant of car ever sold on the market on a Dyno to create maps for every customer's car.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
I wouldn't.

We're taking the missus' 2.0tdi for a tune next Tuesday and it'll be done correcly on a dyno, and they've said most for just software is around the 220 mark.
I really doubt they're gonna push 236 without testing it properly and if they do then be prepared for something to break.

Anything that cheap and without the use of proper testing methods doesn't sound good to me, spend a bit more and get either a Revo or Racing line map on it. Both are very reputable.
Thanks mate who are you using and let me know how the car is afterwards please cheers mate

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022

No one or thing is perfect and things often do go wrong. You don't know how good a company is until something does go wrong, as you get to see how they deal with it and their customer service for what could cost them money.

Going off the 1 star reviews, and how they deal with them, that would immediately put me off.

On the tuning front, do they have a Dyno? They claim to be using custom maps not generic files. So how are they making sure the maps are right? Most companies that offer true custom tuning will have it on a Dyno first. Also generic files are not all bad when they come from companies that have created these over 1,000s of miles across multiple cars, and lots of R&D, but they are generally only sold through their approved dealers (think Racingline and Revo).

So no dyno yet custom tunes? Second red flag.

BUT That is just my opinion from my own short research on the company. They could very well be an amazing company and deliver exactly what they say. The 1 star reviews may very well be FAKE NEWS, and the customer's own issues. But again, most reputable tuners will check the car over first anyway. And if there are any obvious faults, not work on the car if its detrimental to the car itself, until they're sorted.

Finally, the bit that says remaps are not harmful to the engine. Sorry but this isn't exactly correct. Engines are made with tolerances in mind, and the standard maps work to ensure the car is within these tolerances. The generics maps offered by the likes of Racingline and Revo again do something similar, which is why they will not make the peak numbers a custom tune will. But they are still eating into the tolerances. So they are putting more strain on the parts giving you less wiggle room for things to go wrong. Standard cars go wrong and fail, cars being pushed more are more likely to go wrong. You can have a standard car break within 5,000 miles, and a tuned car last 100,000 miles without an issue. you take your chances and roll the dice.

Anyway just my 2p
Thank you so much for this fantastic reply mate I was just blown away by the reviews and for 160 pounds less than the map I have been looking at from jbs with rolling Road print out for 350, I was tempted but want it doing properly for sure. Thanks again

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Why on earth would you think that 1* reviews are fake? If anything, they're the ones you'd pay attention to, particularly at this price.
I suppose it can happen mate in this day and age one thing I have noticed is his replies do seem rather aggressive lol

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Thanks mate who are you using and let me know how the car is afterwards please cheers mate
Went to a place in North Wales, they use Racingline and the car made 179BHP and 354NM standard and after the remap made 221.5bhp and 418NM.
The car now drives like a dream, 4th gear now pulls better than pre-map 3rd. Very easy to achieve illegal speeds now, so be warned.

Power delivery is very smooth unless in 2nd, which is a just wild and will hurt your passengers if you don't prepare them, the first time I floored it in 2nd my head jolted back and really woke me up.
Fuel economy hasn't changed, however the driving style has, so I guess when the thrill wears off the MPG should nudge up a few.

With anything, don't cheap out and get the premium product. It's a higher price of a reason.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Went to a place in North Wales, they use Racingline and the car made 179BHP and 354NM standard and after the remap made 221.5bhp and 418NM.
The car now drives like a dream, 4th gear now pulls better than pre-map 3rd. Very easy to achieve illegal speeds now, so be warned.

Power delivery is very smooth unless in 2nd, which is a just wild and will hurt your passengers if you don't prepare them, the first time I floored it in 2nd my head jolted back and really woke me up.
Fuel economy hasn't changed, however the driving style has, so I guess when the thrill wears off the MPG should nudge up a few.

With anything, don't cheap out and get the premium product. It's a higher price of a reason.
Didn't realise Racingline did the diesels but that's good to know :)

I went Racingline on my Carbon and was very impressed with their after care :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

Their claims about improved MPG are complete nonsense. Manufactures spend tens of millions to maximise every last 0.1 of a MPG, no way a remap would increase MPG.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members