road noise?/

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Hi all,
got a horrible noise coming from, i think, the rear drivers side of my 2001 Leon Cupra.
Noise gets loud after about 20 mph then carries on getting louder, read on here it could be tyre noise, but also read it could be wheel bearings? Got so loud blasting down the a34 yesterday i had to slow down!
Any help or advice on how i can test etc??? :shrug:
Cheers all

Andy

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Sounds like the bearing to me. Lift the car off the ground and see how freely the wheel spins when you turn it by hand. Check for clunks, scraping noises etc. Also, grab the edge of the wheel at 12 o clock, 3 o clock, 6 o clock, and 9 o clock positions and see if you can move it by pushing and pulling on it. If there's a lot of play then it could be the bearings. If in doubt ask a garage to check it out. Also check the driverside too, i had the same problem with an old car but it was on the passengerside wheel, when i thought the noise was from the driverside.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Hi all,
got a horrible noise coming from, i think, the rear drivers side of my 2001 Leon Cupra.
Noise gets loud after about 20 mph then carries on getting louder, read on here it could be tyre noise, but also read it could be wheel bearings? Got so loud blasting down the a34 yesterday i had to slow down!
Any help or advice on how i can test etc??? :shrug:
Cheers all

Andy

What tyres have you got on, i have the very same problem and the diagnosis is that it is uneven tyre wear.

skullarms

Roo
Nov 11, 2008
Hi Guys and thanks,
Havn't checked what tyres are on, not long had the car and i think they replaced some tyres so probably cheap s**t!!
Will check bearings as advised today if its not too cold!!!! Will post results here in case they help
again thanks all
Andy

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members