Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny-cupra

Sep 7, 2005
Renfrew
New alternator arrived today, the new one is silent when you spin the pulley, the old one sounds like the bearings have gone, definately doesn't sound right, doesn't spin freely either, feels and sounds like there is heavy friction. Won't know it's 100% fixed until I drive it but it should be now (fingers crossed).

Do u still have the old alternator , if so are you interesting in selling it , if so send me a pm

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Found the problem .. it's not the turbo! After unbolting the DP and pulling it back, the turbine looks fine, so I went down to under the radiator to drain the coolant out the system and saw that a silicone hose has burst and an alloy pipe is damaged, between the IC outlet and the MAP sensor. Looks like the clamp has squished the alloy pipe, allowing pressure to escape, eventually blowing off and damaging the hose in the process.

This hose has blown off before, so I want to sort this out for good, so I want a one-piece, strong pipe made up with good beads on the ends and a fitting for the water injection nozzle, maybe made out of stainless steel for strength.

Might just carry on and remove the turbo and send it off to CR or Owens for a health check and maybe an upgrade! ;) CR Turbos quoted me £200 to upgrade it to a 2871R, £300 with a motorsport metal bearing cage for strength.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Car is back to running 100% again, albeit with a temporary replacement (but stronger and better quality) silicone elbow and alloy pipe I had spare (pays to keep spares lying around!), but it will do for now until I can get a solid one-piece pipe made up.

s700 mcv

Jun 28, 2010
Wishaw
Glad to hear it bud wen u do source quality piping with beads can you let me know where so i can get piece of mind to drive it full throttle without worrying the pipes gonna come out lol

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I have asked Forge and BDM if they can make me a one-piece IC pipe to replace this troublesome part, one less silicone elbow and hose clamps to cause trouble.

Forge have made all my other pipes so I'm sure they'll do it for me. Their alloy pipes are usually strong with good beads.

Kinda laughing to myself now - on the Extreme dyno it made 323bhp with a knackered alternator, dirty MAF sensor, failing boost pipe and hose and a saggy spring in the boost controller due to heat!!! :D

Last edited:

s700 mcv

Jun 28, 2010
Wishaw
Be good to get it back on once its all sorted bud 323 seems as if will be pretty average compared to when those problems are sorted can make a huge diff lol

s700 mcv

Jun 28, 2010
Wishaw
Well Im going to run logs on my afr tonight so if anyone is up for another wee day id be happy to get mines back on the rollers if there all ok

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Me and a few mates are going to get on theres 3 of us so far so if you and Rob if you want to know what shes running now fancy it your more than welcome to come along? Probably be next weekend i think

RobDon

Pro Detailer
New Forge Motorsport actuator arrived. Work of art from Forge as usual, big thanks to John Withers at Forge for all the help.

actuator5.jpg

actuator6.jpg

actuator7.jpg

Fitted with the Backdraft Motorsport remote mount bracket and rod extension:

actuator8.jpg

actuator9.jpg

I'll report back on any differences once I've adjusted the boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.