Roscoes Black Audi A3 1.8T - 2 Stage Correction

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
First and foremost big thanks the Liam “lm_gauci” for recommending me to Roscoe for a full Paint Correction Detail on his Black Audi A3 1.8T. This has been on the cards since last year however a combination of bad weather and time constraints delayed this detail until now. This wasn’t a problem as we have had lovely weather this weekend and the car would be setup for summer.

Arriving bright and early on a Saturday morning I was greeted with Bacon sarnies and Tea – I was off to a flyer! Upon inspection of the car I was shocked to see the condition it was in. Roscoe purchased the car over a year ago and it was clear the previous owner didn’t look after the cars paintwork. There was orange peel on panels and scratches littered everywhere on the car. The paint was lifeless but I was confident that a good machine polish would correct a majority of the defects.

Morning
Here are the before pictures.

DSCF1084.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1090.jpg

DSCF1091.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

Products

Wash n Dry
Meguairs NXT Tech Shampoo
Car-Lack 68 Shampoo
Meguairs All Purpose Cleaner
Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser
Super Snow Foam
Sonus Drying Towels

Body Work
Cleanyourcar fine polyclay
Meguairs Last Touch quick detailer
Menzerna Power Gloss (S34A)
Menzerna Intensive Polish 85RD3.02
Menzerna Final Finish (PO 85 RD)

Sealants and Waxes
Z-2 Pro Show Car Sealant
Chemical Guys - Blitz Spray Sealant

Plastics, Rubbers and Glass
Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care
Turtlewax -Tyre Gel

Tools
Meguiars G220 mk2 machine polisher
Karcher Pressure washer
Snow foam Lance
Vikan Brushes
Myriad of foam and microfibre applicators
Menzerna Compound Pad (White) & Menzerna Polish Pad (Orange)
Swissvax Detail Brushes
Meguiars Wheel Spoke Brush
3M 3434 Masking Tape

Wheels

RS6 wheels are a joy to clean and the usual weapon of choice is Megs APC at a dilution 4:1. Once the APC was worked in with Swissvax brushes I proceeded to wash wheel sheep wool mitt. Inside of the wheels were de- tarred with Autoglym Tar Remover to good effect.

DSCF1095.jpg

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1097.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Lately I have not been getting those good results with snow foam on my own car. Always came out too “thin” and didn’t really take off much dirt. I finally figured out why this was – I was putting too much shampoo in the mix. This time I just used ¾ of an inch of super snow foam and a dab of Megs APC. I think I got it spot on as the foam stayed on the car for a good 6-7 minutes and pulled off plenty of dirt.

DSCF1099.jpg

Once washed off there was evidence of the Turtlewax product used 2 weeks before the detail.

DSCF1103.jpg

Rubber seals were cleaned with Megs APC. They were surprisingly clean to be fair.

DSCF1105.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

Car was then washed with Meguairs NXT Gen shampoo. I been using this consistently now for last 5 details and on my own car every week. It’s a pretty good product however comparing this to gold class I would have to say it isn’t as good in its final finish. There isn’t much in it overall.

DSCF1107.jpg

Clayed and needless to say after one wipe the amount of dirt that came off amazed me. ONE SWIPE!

DSCF1109.jpg

The car was showing signs of improvement after the clay and wash.

DSCF1111.jpg

I was shocked when I saw the driver’s side door.

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1115.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I explained to Roscoe that the door could not be saved and it needed a respray. There was slight improvement to be had with a good polish which you will see later in the write-up.

Car was all taped up and ready to be corrected. Halogen lights where setup (one bulb eventually blew) and upon inspection the swirls were many as well as the scratches. Camera unfortunately hasn’t picked these up, I assure you there was a lot. I agreed with Roscoe at this point the car needed a two stage detail. Polishes that were used were Menzerna Intensive Polish 85RD3.02 and Menzerna Final Finish (PO 85RD). On some panels that had a lot of deep scratches I went over them with Menzerna Power Gloss where the Intensive polish wasn’t enough being careful not to apply to much pressure.

DSCF1119.jpg

DSCF1120.jpg

Before Bonnet
DSCF1122.jpg

After bonnet
DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

Remember the “ORANGE PEEL” door? Here is after.
DSCF1135.jpg

Rear Wing Before
DSCF1137.jpg

Rear Wing After
DSCF1139.jpg

Front Wing Before
DSCF1148.jpg

Front Wing After
DSCF1152.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
At this point the car was already looking a world apart before I started this morning. I was eager to see what the Menzerna 85RD could do. It didn’t disappoint.

DSCF1154.jpg

Here is Zaino applied. This is my first time using Ziano – my initial impressions is that it goes on quite easy. Only “problems” I found was that it was hard to see where you applied and I had a hard time removing it. I wouldn’t say I have used loads of sealants but I have used half a dozen popular ones and I struggled taking the Ziano off. ALTHOUGH the results from the Z2 Pro speak for themselves, real wet.

DSCF1161.jpg

I then applied one of my favourite products. I was introduced to this product by another very well known detailer. Superb sealant and wax product, real easy to apply and wipe off. It also goes a long way!

DSCF1169.jpg

18:00 and the car was finally ready to have its show pictures taken.

Results

DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF1173.jpg

DSCF1174.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

DSCF1185.jpg

Big thank you to Roscoe for keeping me watered and fed throughout the day. Big thanks to Liam again for keeping me company whilst I was detailing Roscoes car. Hoped you enjoyed the read!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
top job as usual Maz... ill get mine booked in ASAP :)

ill have to get your address off you so i can send you these bits mate... i dont know when ill see you next?

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Looks good Maz!

You just cant beat Blitz for wet look shine! I used it on mine friday after pre-treat, wax, sealant, and then Blitz, just finishes it off, and it still looks good this morning, 3 days after, Sunday in the sunshine it was amazing!!

Gotta do mine soon Maz anyways, then the blitz really will look wet!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looks good Maz!

You just cant beat Blitz for wet look shine! I used it on mine friday after pre-treat, wax, sealant, and then Blitz, just finishes it off, and it still looks good this morning, 3 days after, Sunday in the sunshine it was amazing!!

Gotta do mine soon Maz anyways, then the blitz really will look wet!
Just let me know what weekend you want to do it :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Cracking results again, you seem to be getting better and better results each time.
Thanks. Different cars give different experiences each time so I always try to learn from that and take that experience to the next car I do. :)