Rubbish brake peddle after upgrade

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Hi, upgraded the Leon brakes today, 312mm front & 256mm vents at the rear. Got the calipers & carriers off a TT225, stripped them, grit blasted them, thoroughly cleaned them, painted them & rebuilt them all with the lovely sticky red rubber grease. Fitted them today with new discs & pads but the peddle is crap & the brakes are non-exsitent :(. I had a pukka Blue Point vacuum job to suck the fluid through, no joy; tried the old fashioned pumping/bleeding method, no joy; then tried an Ezi bleed on the resevoir & the vacuum job on the bleed nipples - still no joy. :shrug:
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
is the pedal hard and your just not braking or is it squidgy and not doing anything? will most likely be a brand new setup alround and id say 30-50 miles before you start to get some bite but dont overcook it on fresh parts. if its a squidgy pedal check for leaks as sounds like youve rebuilt the calipers? and rebleed - what sequence did you use and did you bleed from all the nipples or just those on the calipers?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
As above, make sure you have no leaks - I upgraded mine (fronts only) earlier in the year and tried to bleed them myself, but after 3 attempts at all 9 bleed points I gave up and took it along to local Skoda garage wher they pressure bled them - wot a difference :D

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Job done! Air in the master cylinder! Put the ezi bleeder back on, opened up the bleed nipples (independantly) & fine! Servo assistance seems to be less now - peddle goes solid after a couple of pumps when the engine is running! Let them bed in this week & give them another pressure bleed next weekend - should be fine :)
Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup: