Rubbish MPG

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Well the only thing I currently fault on my Arona is that the MPG seems to be completly rubbish.

I am really struggling to get the MPG above 38/39 on a good run.

Long term is sitting down at 35.8 and I have done 1600 miles. [:@]

I have only opened the car up twice since I have owned it, otherwise its being driven really gentle

Last edited:

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
This is my mk1 dti150 meant to be 40+mpg but I did like 170 miles on half a tank before the petrol light come on! But it comes on when I've like a good quarter of a tank left! Google says I should get 630miles per tank! Not so sure this is ture I will fill it up at some point and just hit the reset button on the millage clock. Wonder if a remap will sort this out!

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Is yours a 1.0 TSI 115 running the larger 18in wheels?

I trust you are looking at 'since start' and 'since refuel' part of the average mpg.

Also if you are sitting at 30mph on a flatish road, what instant mpg is showing?

and @ 40-50mph on a flatish road, what instant mpg is showing?

I have this engine in my Ibiza (yes smaller car, but expect mpg to be down by 3-5mpg like for like).

Long term 1600 miles 45mpg, mostly London city driving on weekends with a few 40-50mph dual carriage blast. So I'm never caught in heavy traffic, else, even under 30mpg is possible.

Last night (around 945pm) from Wapping to Hackney (6-7 miles) light traffic in London, managed to do 52mpg 'since start.' Perhaps in the Arona, could do the same route and get 45-48mpg. I have a DSG though, and 'coast' to the red light usually, where the mpg really does increase (at least on the trip computer). I can only speculate that on the Arona with it's 49/57/62? on paper mpg, one could expect to get 40/45/55 mpg in the real world. On a separate note, I'll be test driving the Arona Xcellence DSG 115 next Sunday, I'll see what mpg figures I can get.

What petrol are you running out of curiosity? I usually run JET/Shell/Esso 95, and sometimes Shell Vpower 99/Esso 97/Momentum 99. The higher RON fuels do give me higher mpg numbers (except Momentum 99, no difference). Supermarket fuel usually gives me the worst.

I know the Arona has slightly 'lower' mpg figures than my Ibiza, but on paper Ibiza should do 53(city)/64(combined)/72(extra urban) mpg. In the real world with some light traffic, I can achieve 45(city)/53(combined)/63(extra urban). Eg..knock about 10mpg off in the real world. I can speculate with the Arona's 49/57/62 on paper mpg, one can look to get in real world light traffic 40/45/55.
I will be test driving a Arona Xcellence 1.0 DSG 115 next Sunday, I'll see what real world mpg I can achieve.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
So I finally managed to test drive the Arona & Ibiza, but since this is Arona section, I will talk about the Arona.

Build quality: very good, very quiet. I had the Xcellence 1.0 115 DSG model (17 inch rims), push to start (first for me).

Space is very good comparing to Ibiza SC.

Engine Power: ok..it's a bigger car, so it feels less powerful than the Ibizas.

What I didn't like: start stop cuts in if you press hard on the brake BEFORE you even come to a complete stop, gave me a panic attacking getting out of the parking lot, tried to turn, slowed down, engine off, steering locked...

Sound system + infotainment: Very good for a standard system, lack of sub (compared to my Ibiza Seat Sound system) is not that noticible unless you park up, sit and listen for awhile. Sat Nav, very clear, if not a bit of a fingerprint magnet..

MPG: On a test drive city route around Westfields, durign mid-day weekend traffic (medium traffic I guess). I got 36.2mpg 'since start'. Going 'steady Eddie' at 40mph...for about 3-4 mins, the instant mpg readout was 65-75mpg instantaneous, which is comparable to my smaller ibiza. I would say (in mpg terms), mid 30s is what you can expect in medium traffic city, low 40s in light traffic city, low to mid 50s on 40-50mph roads, and probably mid 40s 70mph highways.

20180408_140219_resized.jpg

20180408_140233_resized.jpg

20180408_143220_resized.jpg

not bad..

20180408_141141_resized.jpg

Not bad for a test drive car, that people will probably put their foot down more than light foot

20180407_225516_resized.jpg

Whats possible with this engine (Ibiza SC though)

Last edited:
Reactions: LouG

LewJo

Jan 14, 2017
Wales
Build quality: very good, very quiet

Really? I thought my Leon had poor quality until I got in an Arona. Its as if they went out of their way to find the cheapest looking and feeling plastics for the cabin. I was seriously unimpressed

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Really? I thought my Leon had poor quality until I got in an Arona. Its as if they went out of their way to find the cheapest looking and feeling plastics for the cabin. I was seriously unimpressed

Could be because the car I usually drive is a Seat Ibiza FR that is quite noisy at speeds (wind and road) and the 17 inch 40 profile tyres with hard FR suspension. In the Arona, nothing thumps, vibrates, and rattles, and car is Xcellence with 'comfort' suspension and cushiony 205/55 R17 rims.
The Leon before had 2.0 TDI, where as the car quieter than Ibiza in terms of road/wind noise, the engine was very noisy around town.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Amazing how different specs change a car. Our '15 Ibiza is on standard suspension and 16's and neither wind nor road noise intrude into the cabin.

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
I’m concerned about mpg too !!

Granted our Arona has only done 200 miles but on short trips it’s only managing 30 mpg !!!

On longer trips it can’t crack 40 !!!

Will it get better ?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I’m concerned about mpg too !!

Granted our Arona has only done 200 miles but on short trips it’s only managing 30 mpg !!!

On longer trips it can’t crack 40 !!!

Will it get better ?

Which spec is yours? SE/FR/Xcellence, DSG? As per my post above, I did a test drive (so more testing power than economy I guess) around Westfield on a Sunday afternoon with medium traffic (city route), it returned 36.2mpg on the computer. Had a massive roundabout with many start-stops too+plus navigating and getting lost is Westfield's massive indoor/underground parking!

On start stop medium to heavy traffic, 30mpg is not a bad return.

Out of curiosity, how do you deaccelerate though? For me (on DSG) if I can see the red light ahead, i just completely lift off, and let the car slow down. Instant mpg usually reads ---. Accelerate my revs reach around 2k, before the car changes up.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
30mpg not bad for a 1.0!!!!!

I would chuck it back at the dealer if it did that.

Are you the boss of VW?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just an unhealthy obsession with trying to stretch my mile per gallon...and paying too much attention on the mpg numbers inbetween my speedo.

Anyone looked at the Cupra Video in a different post, guy rips off the Seat Badge on the engine cover, and tada, it's a VW engine with a Seat Logo glued on...

DavidinScotland

May 23, 2018
I've just run in my Arona with 1k on the clock. I get between 44 - 52MPG without thrashing the engine

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
My 1.0 does loosen up after 2500 miles. Grandpa driving now gives me a dashboard long term average display of 51. Previously 46. First tankful 39.

Goodolpete

Jan 22, 2018
One point must be mentioned. Have you got cruise control?
If you have, use it at every safe opportunity- motorways, country roads,
and to govern the car in a speed limit. I’ve found that the computer can
drive the car 10mpg better than me.
Pete

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
We have an Arona FR 115PS, DSG running 18" P7's, on the delivery trip, 800 km's highway running it did 45mpg, around town 38. Km's are now 2000. That's calculated mpg, not vehicle display.
Our highways are not as you Euros know them, two lanes, coarse chip, quite hilly and bendy. Everything to reduce mpg really.

Mar 17, 2019
Why is my FR Sport not fitted with any sound insulation, it's almost like a mistake, or an extreme penny pinching policy by SEAT. Any thoughts ??

Apr 10, 2019
We have had an FR Sport for just over a week now. Love it so far BUT was expecting a much higher MPG. The average is around 34mpg around rural roads and trips to shops. The Seat spec says to expect 55mpg+, so does it get better?

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
After a year and 3500 miles the long term average in our 1.0 115 DSG SE Tech spec Arona is reading about 45ish mpg.
Obviously depends how you drive it and I would imagine in your first week you've 'tested' the performance to some degree..[B)]
It should improve over time but as always take manufacturers figures with a bucket of salt.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.