Run Flat Tyres Any use?

TDI-FOR-ME

:( Having just suffered a puncture and had use the white goop sealer
to get me to the nearest tyre supplier. I am looking at the options ? re:space saver (dealer quoted £185) new VW goop (dealer quote £39.75) or using Run flat tyres so has anybody used these run flats.

New tyre was required (Pirelli P7 225 45 R17 W) as the 100m or so I'd run with the warning light on had ruined the tyre wall(internally):cry:

Black Magic 2.0TDI Sport

jon1

May 7, 2005
Sunderland
My dad has them on his BMW and i prefer standard tyres personally, its a very hard ride and they cost alot to replace. It didnt feel as if they were as grippy as normal tyres either. Might just be a psycological thing though:shrug:

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I had run flats on my Mini (then switched to non run flats) and the ride is much harsher with run flats and the tyres are much more expensive. Be aware that if you do use run flats you should change all 4 not 1 at a time and I'm sure the suspension of your car should be developed with run flat technology in mind as it would effect the handling characteristics and braking distances etc.

ps. a tin of tyre sealant and compressed air is only £7 at Asda.

jon1

May 7, 2005
Sunderland
I had run flats on my Mini (then switched to non run flats) and the ride is much harsher with run flats and the tyres are much more expensive. Be aware that if you do use run flats you should change all 4 not 1 at a time and I'm sure the suspension of your car should be developed with run flat technology in mind as it would effect the handling characteristics and braking distances etc.

ps. a tin of tyre sealant and compressed air is only £7 at Asda.

Did u notice any better feel from the road once u switched?

TDI-FOR-ME

Looking at the feedback I think I will stick with the not so expensive(£109 fitted) P7.

I have ordered some gas propelled sealant and will continue to search ebay for a Space save.

Thanks for your advice:) TFM

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
I have run flats on my Cooper-S. Reason iam keeping them is i have no where to put a spare and even a can of tyre weld would be a pain if your so my boot, Spare wheel well is used to house battery on Cooper S.

but they are pricey, and cannot be repaired if punctured

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
:( Having just suffered a puncture and had use the white goop sealer to get me to the nearest tyre supplier. I am looking at the options ? re:space saver (dealer quoted £185)

The spacesaver was a £35 option when we got our mk2 would you believe. The downside was that I had to place a factory order for the car rather than a stock car. 1 week wait versus 12 week wait, but this did annoy me at the time.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap space saver wheel and buying a cheap tyre to avoid the hassle. I'm told as soon as you use the sealer your tyre's a goner anyway and that no place will scoop the stuff out and fix your tyre. So puncture basically = new tyre if you've got the standard repair option.

cmc

LeakyTurnip

Mull Fember
Feb 11, 2005
N.Ireland
I think there are two different types of sealant that you can get.

The one provided with the car does not inflate the tyre and the sealant only seals the hole, you then use the provided compressor to re-inflate the tyre. I believe that you can get the tyre fixed when you use this kit.

The other stuff, which you buy at garages and Halfords etc, expands inside the wheel and most tyre fitters will not fix these tires and insist on a replacement.

(Or so the dealer who sold my GF's parents their new Honda Civis said!)

TDI-FOR-ME

Yes the liquid supplied by Seat does allow the puncture to be repaired(if repairable) as it stays as liquid. However be warned if do not stop straightaway and have run a few metres with a flat low profile tyre it will be beyond repair as the inner walls start to break up:-o as i found out to my cost!

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
The previous owner of my 535d was so unhappy about the ride on run flats that he was going to change the car. Instead he changed to normal tyres and a spare. He was happy after that. The ride on normal tyres is impressive, very compliant.

The thought of being only able to do 50 miles once you have a puncture is scary, in a few weeks I am intending to drive to the alps (mostly through the night), a puncture on RFTs would probably mean being trailered all the way there.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.