Rust neutralizer/passivator - What's best

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Apart from my "good" car, which at this time is a 2016 Ibiza 1.0 litre ST, I've, for many years, run various fiat Pandas as a second car - and often some sort of "project" going on as well. So I'm no stranger to rust and the ongoing "battle" it presents on older cars. I've recently done a major service on the Panda, which is a Dynamic Eco so only manufactured for 2 years and it has some nice wee extras like a retracting glass roof. Fiat seem to be no worse than any other mass produced car for rust these days but the Panda is quite well known for suffering an attack of "tin worm" in it's rear axle spring pans and I've noticed ours is no exception.

So, while the good weather is here, I'm going to undo the rear shocker lower bolts and hinge down the axle beam so I can remove the springs - which actually are themselves a bit "crusty" so I'll probably fit new ones - and chip and wire brush as much rust away as I can before slaistering on some rust converter and painting. Historically I've always used either Jenolite or Kurust but it's been a number of years since I've looked at rust neutralizers/passivators and I'm just wondering what everyone is using these days? The name Fertan keeps coming up? Anyone like to make a recommendation?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Well, I'm mildly surprised no-one has jumped in on this one - do you all own such new cars that rust isn't a problem?

Anyway I thought I'd do a wee update as I've had some very interesting interaction with both Frost and the Fertan people themselves.

I emailed Frost asking about some of the more specific details around applying the Fertan and got a quick and very informative reply. I have a very favourable impression in my mind regarding Frost from previous dealings I've had with them and this latest contact has only served to enhance that. Then, all of a sudden, an email dropped in from the Fertan people themselves which included a very interesting PDF which I'll try to copy now: https://fertan.ro/downloads/FERTAN-TIPPS-GB-2020-02.pdf I followed this up with a few further questions to them and recieved an immediate and vert informative reply. I'm very impressed indeed and I'm completely decided now to give this product a try.

I'll continue to give updates as appropriate.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I've been using a fairly new product called Lanoguard. It's a spray that you spray all over your underbody and suspension and axles etc. It evaporates and leaves a very unobtrusive, dry layer of lanolin on the metal which lasts for months and months and protects again rust. I have nothing to do with the company but I am a very satisfied user.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I've been using a fairly new product called Lanoguard. It's a spray that you spray all over your underbody and suspension and axles etc. It evaporates and leaves a very unobtrusive, dry layer of lanolin on the metal which lasts for months and months and protects again rust. I have nothing to do with the company but I am a very satisfied user.
Thanks for that Woody. Unfortunately, with the 11 year old Panda, I'm a bit further down the road than just protecting, need something to neutralize the tin worm! I can see a place for the stuff you're using, maybe on my newer Ibiza?

gresthom

Jul 16, 2021
United Kingdom

Sounds like a good product. Does it smell much?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
It doesn't smell at all gresthom. Whatever you do, never use those black bituminous coatings that dry like a layer of paint. They trap water behind them and a car will look great whilst actually disintegrating away to nothing behind it out of site.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Whatever you do, never use those black bituminous coatings that dry like a layer of paint. They trap water behind them and a car will look great whilst actually disintegrating away to nothing behind it out of site.
Just like the standard VW/Seat stuff after fifteen years.;)

Some people used to use phosphoric acid to remove rust, skin, eyeballs etc.
Cheapest way to buy it was "milk stone remover" from any farmers merchants. £15 a gallon.
But I've never used it, just throwing it out there.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members