S3 intercooler

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Think i am going to do this upgrade , does anyone have a full list of parts needed , and know best price and where to buy 1 from? also a fitting guide would come in handy ;)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
S3 Intercooler > 1K0 145 803 P
S3 Left Pressure hose > 1K0 145 834 AA
S3 Right Connection hose > 1K0 145 832 L
;)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Oh, and you should get the OEM screws that fix the 3 cores together. I used ones from Jewson with the correct fitment along with thread lock, but it should be possible to get the proper OEM screws, but I dont have their numbers. The original ones are plastic with a wide thread as the OEM intercooler has plastic ends where the S3 one has metal ends and metal screws with a smaller thread.

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
thanks Al , screws wont be a problem , i am a mechanical engineer by trade ;)

You had any prices on this kit yet Rob? I'm looking into this one too...managed to find an Audi technician who works on the side and will do it for £100. I just need the bits at a good price.

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
You don't even need the hoses if you want to cut down the cost. Just use the original hoses but cut the ends with the metallic band and use clamps as normal.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Oh, and you should get the OEM screws that fix the 3 cores together. I used ones from Jewson with the correct fitment along with thread lock, but it should be possible to get the proper OEM screws, but I dont have their numbers. The original ones are plastic with a wide thread as the OEM intercooler has plastic ends where the S3 one has metal ends and metal screws with a smaller thread.

I oculdnt get the screws from the audi dealer either lol. Sold the S3 cooler before it went on an dfitted Apr Cooler

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
Its the OEM s3 one

Think i'll be ordering one of these then!

Does anyone know how efficient the s3 cooler is? i'm sure i'ver heard someone mention a 20% reduction in inlet temps which would be a decent gain....

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire

Does anyone know how efficient the s3 cooler is? i'm sure i'ver heard someone mention a 20% reduction in inlet temps which would be a decent gain....

i think it will be efficient enough at the end of the day it aint that hot in this country and will rarely see ambient temperatures above 20c and for £280 plus fitting is a good price and on that basis couldnt justify paying £1k for the apr core.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
You had any prices on this kit yet Rob? I'm looking into this one too...managed to find an Audi technician who works on the side and will do it for £100. I just need the bits at a good price.

i am off this week so will be phoning around mate.
the one on ebay is from vw speed , i came across their website the other day when i first started looking , so dont get too worried if the one from the bay finishes , also is the same price on their on line shop.
i will fit it myself to cut costs so will leave a few £££££££££'s spare for other upgrades lol.

Al

Aug 29, 2005

On standard code, it dropped inlet temperature by from 30oC to 15oC. WIth a remap, 20% reduction was found, but in addition to this, spool builds harder and quicker with the S3 core over the OEM cooler.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
have forge released a twintercooler for the cupra yet ? if so would that be the better option or is the std cupra cooler too small already ?

The twintercooler is for the 2.0T Leon and not specifically Cupra or FR - Same model does both cars.

To be fair, the standard intercooler is pretty efficient, but there are better results to be had by upgrading. Sadly, nobody independent has yet been able to prove gains (or temp drops) from each option including the Forge/APR/S3 on one car in the same conditions.

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
On standard code, it dropped inlet temperature by from 30oC to 15oC. WIth a remap, 20% reduction was found, but in addition to this, spool builds harder and quicker with the S3 core over the OEM cooler.

Sounds tempting then.

What causes the spool to build harder and quicker as on initial spool up the temps don't really increase much only after being on boost a while? Or is it something to do with the larger capacity in the S3 item?

ps - 330WHP!! ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members