Sat Nav questions

M4ppy

Jan 20, 2021
Hoping for some advice on sat nav usage.

I have just picked up a new ateca C&S, it looks to have the same sat nav as the Formentor, when using search the location comes up as a gps coordinates rathe than address, I have to use advanced search to get a complete address. Second question is when being offered multiple routes, how do you select one of the others

many thanks for any advice.
chris

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I read about it.on Ateca group, but not sure what's the solution. Also noted it during test drive, when I got 3 different choices, but no actual addresses.

JonnyT

Dec 28, 2020
I’m struggling with my sat nav having collected my Formentor today.

Has anyone successfully managed to enter a full UK postcode as mine doesn’t seem to recognise them?

Thanks

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
In destination search.

20210411_085741.jpg

20210411_085751.jpg

JonnyT

Dec 28, 2020
Thank you. Maybe the vehicle needs time to download the address data over the air. It is reassuring to know that it does have this feature. I will try it again when I take it out for a drive this afternoon.

I did manage to work out how to find out fuel prices! You click on the speech button on the steering wheel and ask for fuel prices!

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I worked that out, but without a speech. Print screens are in Cupra Connect thread.

Also, when I click on petrol station on a map, it shows prices if available.

Reactions: IanH72

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
There are various threads on this but I just wondered if anyone has come up with a fix re the postcode/offroad coordinates question.

Satnav works fine in that it knows exactly where the postcode is but just won't display the street/town (just offroad plus coordinates). This is useless when searching history.

Please don't say use google/tomtom via android auto as AA drives me mad so has been disabled on my phone and, if the car has a function then it should work.

The car is brand new (Formentor VZ2) and has always done this. It is the same for distant and local postcodes and regardless of how long the system has been running/booting up.

I have contacted the dealer but no joy yet so thought I would ask here.

If this has been resolved on another thread please let me know (I searched but may have missed some).

Thanks

Reactions: Tell and JonnyT

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
Just want to check if anyone has made any progress on this?

I am starting to escalate this (hopefully). The dealer isn't aware of such an issue being "common" and I really don't want to have to leave the car all day for a few diagnostics and no result if this is well known!

I have been looking at discussions here and on other VAG forums and comments were made about privacy settings and connections (the little world icon needs to be not greyed out). So I joined SEAT Connect, added myself as Primary User (which reset virtually everything on the car :mad::rolleyes:) and now have a globe lit up and have changed Privacy to the lowest level possible.

The net result? I can now get actual locations when entering a postcode BUT only when the first characters are entered. So using the example from Agnes.Surrey, I can type "TW6 1" and get a broad destination (Hounslow?) but if I type "TW6 1A" I lose that and get a message saying that it is not recognised and asking me if I want to go to "step-by-step input" which seems to require all the details of the address to be entered manually; if I enter the full postcode I get the offroad coordinates.

Anyway, as mentioned I am escalating this but wanted to check if anyone had an update?

Thanks all

Tell

Staff member
I went into the off road coordinates here and on:

It's a programming bug that the people who wrote the software don't understand the UK postcode directory. May be the developers took the wrong file given to them. D- on GIS knowledge to them.

I suspect the only solution to the problem is new firmware since they should have the postcode mapped to a street segment not an x,y coordinates in the lookup table. If the lookup table went:

Postcode, xy coordinate, street segment

& they forgot to fill in the street segment and it opted for the xy coordinates you would be fine with a map update but I suspect it's more fundamental and they need to change their code, I dont reckon that's at map updates but in the firmware.

Mib2 High does map to street segment from a postcode. Mib3 doesn't, that's a bug in the way they designed the program used the files given to them.

I don't have mib3 but good for entertainment value 🤣.

The postcode coordinates (centroids) are only used in GIS to aggregate information for research / modelling purposes not for navigation. It's an incorrect use of the data.

Ian986

Jun 23, 2021
Why don’t you just use nav in car play they work so much better than manufacturers navigation.

We had a 19 plate Ibiza only used the Nav once,This is when we buy any car was checked it workEd when the was purchasing the car.

Tell

Staff member
There are benefits of a built in navigation system that work, one being the car doesn't bounce around locations in towns whilst your mobile does get affected by buildings, jumps streets, car systems know they cant do that, so don't. It's nice to set a destination and drive. You get the next turn up on the display or the map rather than in the centre area. Connected services now means the old TMC issue of timely traffic data should be history.

Ian986

Jun 23, 2021
Well I use car play every day with Waze and I have never had the issues that you are reporting, but then I live in south east where mobile signal is better maybe.

AndrewRL

Jun 17, 2021
The point for me is that the sat nav is part of the car that I have paid (a lot) for and, like everything, should work correctly as I use it a lot. Otherwise it would be a bit like buying a new TV which only works for Channel 5 but you could still plug/mirror your ipad/phone into it and stream anything onto the bigger screen.

I also don't like car play/android auto and often disable it (mainly because I am a techno dinosaur but rarely listen to music when driving, do not want to be distracted by messages/texts and only really want my phone connected for calls which I can make/take while concentrating on the road). I know it works but just choose not to use it.

The added advantage of the in-built car sat nav is that you get the display in front of you which is safer to look at.

Reactions: Tell

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Navigation is in the car and it should work. Also, problem doesn't seem to be tied to certain version of software, because it works for some people and doesn't for others. I would be really unhappy, if I collected the car and it couldn't recognise UK post codes. It's not 15 years old Mercedes that wasn't able to read whole post codes. We're in 2021.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members