Scary SXE Toledo problem

snoopdogg

Hi everybody,im a newbie here and this is my firs post so i was wondering if anybody out there could help me...i drive a 98 Toledo 2.0 SXE the car has no problem in starting and runs and drives well..normaly..but all of a sudden for no reason it will start to die while your driving normaly while im going about 60mph the engine will cut out all the lights will come on the instrument panel, then i have to coach it to the side of the road turn off the ignition then back on and restart the car, the car starts as if nothing has happened and then i drive off agen.It will also sometimes die on while driving not cut out but loose revs then if i drop it down a gear it will pick up agen then carry on,this is very scary as iv nearly had a few cars smash into my rear when this has happend,also you can be driving normaly at 60-70mph slow down for a roundabout or junction and asoon as i press the clutch it will cut out,then as before i turn it off then back on agen it starts fine and i drive away.Can anybody help me with this please?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
what state are the vacuum pipes that go into the inlet manifold?

Also - worth checking how old your plugs are etc

snoopdogg

thanks for the reply mate...as for the plugs there fairly new but i was thinking of changeing them as for te vaccum pipes i'll have to check its got full service history cos it's been in the family since it was 1yr old, it's done 100k and when it is running ok it runs lovely not a blip on the revs at all.

P.s Do you know which make of spark plug Seat use..i was just wondering because i had a Mondeo V-tec and some of them had problems unless they didnt use genuine plugs....so i've been told.She's got Champion in her at the moment, also d you think it's computer might be causing the problem or the imobiliser?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris

ESTATE! I'm Getting Old!
Nov 21, 2003
North Essex
Visit site
Could it be "starving" of fuel?

Has it got a fuel filter? (change it?)

Try some RedX or another fuel additive to clean the injectors?

(just sugestions)

snoopdogg

Kris...after wot mOrk sugested i checked the vaccum pipes and the thin cloth braided ones are abit thin in places and the braiding has fraid so im going to find a Seat dealer and get some new pipes, i dont think it's starving of fuel cos it's so unpredictable when it plays up it's not doing all the time just when it feels like it...but good point i'll change the filter if it's got one and it wont hurt to give it a clean through with RedX,it's just so anoying cos wen she is running proper she goes like the clappers without missing abeat wen all of a sudden she'll die and cut out.....Wierd eh?

Thanks for your reply Kris as any help is appreciated as i cant afford to get the dealers to look at her.

desire

Hi Mate,

I have a 1998 Toledo 2.0 SXE. It has exactly the same problem. Starts and drives normally. Under acceleration at 3000 RPM it will misfire/backfire revs will drop to nil then come back again. If i slow down the problem ends. I have changed cambelt, plugs, leads, distributor, rotor arm. Makes no difference. Car has only done 67000 miles. Have you fixed yors yet. If so what was it/ Its driving me crazy!!

Paul.

And

Could be the crank position sensor - my brother`s 2.0 8V mk3 Golf had the same problem.

It should show an error with VAG-COM.

Andy

dubburke

Hi everybody,im a newbie here and this is my firs post so i was wondering if anybody out there could help me...i drive a 98 Toledo 2.0 SXE the car has no problem in starting and runs and drives well..normaly..but all of a sudden for no reason it will start to die while your driving normaly while im going about 60mph the engine will cut out all the lights will come on the instrument panel, then i have to coach it to the side of the road turn off the ignition then back on and restart the car, the car starts as if nothing has happened and then i drive off agen.It will also sometimes die on while driving not cut out but loose revs then if i drop it down a gear it will pick up agen then carry on,this is very scary as iv nearly had a few cars smash into my rear when this has happend,also you can be driving normaly at 60-70mph slow down for a roundabout or junction and asoon as i press the clutch it will cut out,then as before i turn it off then back on agen it starts fine and i drive away.Can anybody help me with this please?
Scary:-o I have the exact same problem but with a mk2 golf gti, i still havent figured it out:wtf: Like you say its very dangerous especially at night, i have got it down to a tea now though as i just dip the clutch and start it again while moving, but i would love to know what it is so i can fix it[:@]

snoopdogg

thanks for response and ideas guys..i tried the lot plugs, dizzy, coil pack all to no avail.bbbbBut recently iv started to hear a relay clicking like mad asoon as she conks out so i took the fuse box cover off and when it next conked out i felt to find which relay it was no.148 i think it,s directly above the grey no.18 i went to ythe scrappy the other day to get some but sods law after get enough to change 6 of them twice over i didnt get the one i need, so it looks like a trip back on monday now i know which one im after, im hoping that'll be the end of the problem we'll have to see, im also going to change relay no.30 as that is getting rather hot.I'll let you know how i get on with the relay thing.
Fingers crossed;)

Thanks again for all your replies:)

desire

I hear the clicking also. Don't know why I didn't think of that!!! Will investigate,

Thanks

Paul/

snoopdogg

Iv found the relay to be clicking is no.147 in my Toledo also relay no.30 is getting very hot aswell, let us know how you get on with yours mate!!

desire

Iv found the relay to be clicking is no.147 in my Toledo also relay no.30 is getting very hot aswell, let us know how you get on with yours mate!!

I dont have a No.147!!! Above N0.18 is No292.

Do you have a diagram of which relay does what?

If so can you mail it, cause I don't want to start replacing relays when I don't know what they are.

Today I drove with a gentle throttle and always below 3000RPM. No problem at all. If I putr my foot down or drive steadily above 3000RPM I lose revs/cut out/misfire/backfire...its bizarre....

Paul.:wtf:

snoopdogg

Paul...wot model car is yours and wot year?

Sadly i havnt got a diagram of wot they do, all i can sugest is do wot i did take the cover off your fuse box take her for a run then when she starts to cut out and die on you, feel the relays to find out which one is ticking you'll feel it clearly enough.

I dont even know wot relay 147 does in my car but it's definately acting the goat when she conks out, it's all trial and error with mine now mate....:(

P.s make sure you havnt got your indicator on when try to find it.:D

Just looked back to see wot car you got "Toledo SXE 98 2.0" thats wierd your fuse box isnt the same as mine.....yours is the Mk1 right?

desire

Paul...wot model car is yours and wot year?

Sadly i havnt got a diagram of wot they do, all i can sugest is do wot i did take the cover off your fuse box take her for a run then when she starts to cut out and die on you, feel the relays to find out which one is ticking you'll feel it clearly enough.

I dont even know wot relay 147 does in my car but it's definately acting the goat when she conks out, it's all trial and error with mine now mate....:(

P.s make sure you havnt got your indicator on when try to find it.:D

Just looked back to see wot car you got "Toledo SXE 98 2.0" thats wierd your fuse box isnt the same as mine.....yours is the Mk1 right?

Mine is a Mk.1. Let me know if repacing the relay cures the problem. I think I will go to my local Seat parts depot and see if they can let me know what the relays do. Good Luck.

Paul.

snoopdogg

I hope you have better look at your Seat dealers then i did at mine mate.:(

All young lads on the desk who probably havnt had there head under a bonnet before, takes them ages to find the parts on a pc let alone know what they do...:)

Iv rang my dealers today and the relay thats clicking away like mad when she conks out is going to be a shocking.....wait for it...£40 :(

desire

I hope you have better look at your Seat dealers then i did at mine mate.:(

All young lads on the desk who probably havnt had there head under a bonnet before, takes them ages to find the parts on a pc let alone know what they do...:)

Iv rang my dealers today and the relay thats clicking away like mad when she conks out is going to be a shocking.....wait for it...£40 :(

£40 for a relay!!??!! Wow. Still not convinced that is the problem with mine. It only ever misfires etc when i put my foot down at 3000RPM and above. Never below that. Drives beautifully if you dont go above 3000RPM. Still, you never know...

snoopdogg

are you sure your injectors arnt blocked or she's starving of fuel? try redex or some other fuel treatment, i'll be replacing my relay today i'll let you know how i get on mate, does your car cut out completly or just miss fire?

Mines alrite above 3000 revs it's after its been running awhile and gets warm so it looks like the relay is failing when it gets hot.