Schumi approached to drive for Mercedes Brawn

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
So his neck injury that prevented him from driving in Massa's place was not permanent ?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
So his neck injury that prevented him from driving in Massa's place was not permanent ?

No it wasn't, he was ruled out of driving the Ferrari this year due to the neck injury he sustained earlier this year.

He didn't get the green light from is medical advisors due to the injury affecting his fitness having not had enough time to heal sufficiently to undergo the stresses of an F1 race.

However given the time to the start of the 2010 season being several months off, he has the time to improve his long-term stamina and fitness levels. He had not driven an F1 car in any competitive capacity since the end of 2006, so I think it was tough ask for him to be getting fit to race the Ferrari even without the bike crash despite his legendary fitness.

But do I see it happening, never say never when Ross Brawn is involved, Schumi does have a lot to thank that man for. But financially speaking its not going to be a cheap deal for Mercedes to tempt him into their car.

Its great silly season isn't it... :D

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Could he be a man that's up for it,regardless of money?is he a true sportsman(there's few of them that do it for the "sport").I hope personally hope he does return,as much as i thought he was so far up himself it was unreal, I'd like to see if he can still win,or at least knock alonso off:D

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Personally I think he left too soon, I don't believe he wanted to hang up his helmet in 2006. Things seemed to force his hand, whether it be from personal pressures or something professional behind the scenes.

Most F1 drivers that leave the sport have a period of regret, most try to find something else to fill the void. I believe David Coulthard was feeling that this year but with his BBC Sport job had something to focus upon. He's now been linked to a DTM seat next year.

I think Schumi has had a kind of sabbatical period hoping to find something to fill his time, he didn't really cut his ties with Ferrari. Now Alonso is coming to the prancing horse, he won't take pearls of wisdom from Heir Schumacher he's far too arrogant for that. Hence Mikeys move away from the advisory role to one working with the road-cars.

Maybe he's simply bored, hasn't found himself anything else to spur his interest levels in retirement and wants another new challenge. Even if its a one year deal..he might actually want to do this.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Personally I think he left too soon, I don't believe he wanted to hang up his helmet in 2006. Things seemed to force his hand, whether it be from personal pressures or something professional behind the scenes.

Most F1 drivers that leave the sport have a period of regret, most try to find something else to fill the void. I believe David Coulthard was feeling that this year but with his BBC Sport job had something to focus upon. He's now been linked to a DTM seat next year.

I think Schumi has had a kind of sabbatical period hoping to find something to fill his time, he didn't really cut his ties with Ferrari. Now Alonso is coming to the prancing horse, he won't take pearls of wisdom from Heir Schumacher he's far too arrogant for that. Hence Mikeys move away from the advisory role to one working with the road-cars.

Maybe he's simply bored, hasn't found himself anything else to spur his interest levels in retirement and wants another new challenge. Even if its a one year deal..he might actually want to do this.

spot on comments mate,the same could be said for Jason Plato,did the mentor bit and presenting of the bbtcc and cupra championship,now at an age where he is a "legend" he's back in the driving seat.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Should he return, Schumacher would go head-to-head with fellow world champions Jenson Button, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso.

I still think it's a BIG if to be honest but can't wait to see the above season battle if he does :clap::clap:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
just ashame Raikonnen is not back, i was hoping to see him in the mclaren seat that jenson took. I know he's a wet fish but he is a great driver. Still we get to see him competing in the WRC next season with citroens B team partnering Ogier in the other car. Also Raikonnen has lindstrom on as navigator who was tommi makinens old partner.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
With all hte new emerging teams it seems strange that Raikonnen has been allowed to clear off (ice cream and shorts or not) to rallying.

He has obvious talent when compared to the one lap wonder known as the 'Roadblock', or the likes of Fisichella who seemed to take on the actual role of 'Sunday driver' when he masqueraded at Ferrari. I suppose he doesn't come cheap which is a blocker.

I'm still hanging in with hope that Schumi comes back. He proved at the Race of Champions he has passion and talent, but F1 is another ball game.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members