Scratched paintwork advice

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Hi Everyone, I have had my car for two weeks now and someone has scratched the paintwork on the door (2 x 1" long ) and not said anything!!! Really annoyed!!
My question is this - can I buy a correct colour touch up stick or should I get it looked at properly. If the touch up stick, how do I identify the paint correctly? Any help appreciated.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
If it was me I would just get a Seat approved paint shop to look at it. Maybe a SMART repair could do it.

I never get touch up sticks to look any good and have always been disappointed with it.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
I agree with Matthab here, used smart repair on anumber of occasions and really do a splendid job for not much money.

Last edited:

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
Smart repair wanted £300 to repair a small scuff on the top corner of my rear nearside bumper/wheelarch - I don't consider that to be 'not much money' ( it isn't a Seat though, not that that should make a difference really)

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Smart repair wanted £300 to repair a small scuff on the top corner of my rear nearside bumper/wheelarch - I don't consider that to be 'not much money' ( it isn't a Seat though, not that that should make a difference really)

I had a ding in a front wing and a rear bumper scuff done by dents8 up here at different times for less than a hundred pounds for both. Another time my bh scraped the rear wheel arch and back door and had to go to a body shop and that was £280 and that was on a silver metallic Golf for fill,back panel respray and back door respray to blend it all in, perfect job.
Maybe depends where you live. Another good one I have heard good recommendations about is Chipsaway, think the best idea is to go around a few of them and get quotes, let us know how you get on Oceansplasher

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi Everyone, I have had my car for two weeks now and someone has scratched the paintwork on the door (2 x 1" long ) and not said anything!!! Really annoyed!!
My question is this - can I buy a correct colour touch up stick or should I get it looked at properly. If the touch up stick, how do I identify the paint correctly? Any help appreciated.

Can you post a picture of the scratch? If it isn't down to the metal it could be polished out. I polished out a scratch on my passenger door yesterday with great results.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
If it was me I would just get a Seat approved paint shop to look at it. Maybe a SMART repair could do it.

I never get touch up sticks to look any good and have always been disappointed with it.

Some SMART repairs, if not done properly, fade & lose lustre. I had a bumper done on my Passat & it deteriorated so after 18 months it looked a mess. Not worth the saving IMHO.

To the original poster, Chipex is an recommended. Your paint code is under the boot floor & order using this.

Also, as a general rule, if you can feel the sctatch when running your finger nail over it, it won't buff out.

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Thanks for all responses. All of them useful. One of the scratches I can definitely 'feel' so I think its quite deep. Not sure how, or even whether I can upload a pic as never done it before.

Have taken pictures of damage and so far one quote back of £100 from Chipsaway.com so waiting on other Smart repair company to quote. Don't think I will tackle it myself! I will of course keep you guys updated and if I can figure the picture out I will put one on. Cheers again for help.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
Thanks for all responses. All of them useful. One of the scratches I can definitely 'feel' so I think its quite deep. Not sure how, or even whether I can upload a pic as never done it before.

Have taken pictures of damage and so far one quote back of £100 from Chipsaway.com so waiting on other Smart repair company to quote. Don't think I will tackle it myself! I will of course keep you guys updated and if I can figure the picture out I will put one on. Cheers again for help.

I've not had a good experience using Chipsaway. Buy cheap, buy twice!

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland

You have to upload the photos to something like photobucket then copy and paste the pic into the thread.
As far as smart repairs go check reviews on something like trust pilot for repairers in your area then go from there, that's what I did.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Take it to a body shop and see if it can be polished out, I have my own DA polisher and do get some very good results on my cars friends and family.

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Just an update guys on the scratches. Have taken the car to three separate places and all say too deep and in the wrong place to be a quick repair, so looks like they would need to do the whole door and blend it in with other panels.

One said about £300!! I rang my Seat Dealer and they referred me to who they use to do bodywork and this company quoted me £220 (which is the whole panel redone to blend and match the car).

Is this a fair price do you think? As the other bodywork guy wanted about £300. advice appreciated. One Smart repair guy wouldn't touch it, said it was too much for him to do right.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.