Seat creaking...

TaDa

Jun 25, 2010
Barnstaple or thereabouts
This is quite a difficult one to search for... as "Seat Ibiza" and "Ibiza seat" get a lot of hits :)
My Ibiza'a passenger seat has started creaking really badly
if you lean back into it the top part makes a creaky noise
I've had the seat apart but I cannot see a culprit - in fact, taking it apart seemed to fix it for a few days
Its difficult to get the seat cover off completely but as far as I can make out there is a big sponge held in place by a metal mesh which is secured to the frame by springs - my only thought is it is the springs making the noise but I'm bamboozled by the fact that the noise stopped for a while (I would expect creaky springs to remain creaky)
Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
I'd guess the creaks come where metal is moving against metal, so where the springs connect to the frame or to the mesh. You might be able to see some wear at some of those points. Maybe a very small dab of grease at those points would help.

TaDa

Jun 25, 2010
Barnstaple or thereabouts
Yeah - in the end I pretty much took the seat apart and sprayed silicon lube on all the springs and metal joints I could see - thus far the noise has gone - I will have to wait and see how long this fix works
Cheers!

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
The seat covers on newer cars are normally held on with hog rings, a type of permanent fastener attached to a wire frame inside the seat foam .... Be careful because it sounds like metal on metal in that seat it could be a broken seat frame which would be catastrophic if crash tested for your safety have a twist on the whole seat to see if you can feel a loose part

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise