SEAT have ruined the LEON

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm not surprised really - looking at that FR picture posted above I'd have to agree.

He also said it's too expensive. Amazing for a dealer to be saying this! No one likes the car and it's too expensive!!!

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I’ve had some good deals from the dealer (Johnson’s Liverpool) with the last 2 new cars and they have treated me like a valued customer rather than just a sales target. I got 0% finance and a good deal on the trade in. I do think Seat are losing their target audience by charging £30k for the Leon. The things that attracted me are it’s a good looking car (mk3) with VW underpinnings but at a cheaper price than the equivalent Golf.

twice the price from 2001 when i bought my mk1. for 30k you may as well buy a year old premium car. the leon will always be a sub 20k car to me.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
That's what the dealer was saying. They're trying to go upmarket but people aren't going to pay that for a Seat. I think he's right.
I just think the car has lost its edge and looks very generic - coupled with a rather boring interior.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
That's what the dealer was saying. They're trying to go upmarket but people aren't going to pay that for a Seat. I think he's right.

all new cars are a rip off, however the leon will be lose loads on deprecation like all the others gone by. i expect a year old one to be 15k or less.

i got mine at 10 months old for 15k the real price these cars should stay

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
I seen one in the flesh when I picked up my MK3 last week.

It looks alright but parked behind it was the current Black Edition and I have to say I do think it looked a lot better.

The standard FR wheels are 17” and look a bit naff.

Salesmen said he wasn’t keen on it but that the tech is an improvement (if you don’t mind having everything on a touch screen).

I should’ve got some photos.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Salesmen said he wasn’t keen on it but that the tech is an improvement

I doubt that. Even the facelift we've just bought is worse than the car before. Screen is slightly bigger but ease of use is worse with zero added functionality. These cars are being designed for and by the Facebook generation.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I think they are banking on the “coast to coast” rear lights shifting them.

would agree you would have to have a serious brain malfunction to purchase one new with over 20k of hard earned cash.

car for the lease market, they will have to be cheap per month though.

Last edited:

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
I seen one in the flesh when I picked up my MK3 last week.

It looks alright but parked behind it was the current Black Edition and I have to say I do think it looked a lot better.

The standard FR wheels are 17” and look a bit naff.

Salesmen said he wasn’t keen on it but that the tech is an improvement (if you don’t mind having everything on a touch screen).

I should’ve got some photos.
Believe me, having all your controls on the screen is extremely annoying and also potentially dangerous - my wife drives a Citroen Grand Picasso and this has all its controls for heating etc on the touchscreen. So bad.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Believe me, having all your controls on the screen is extremely annoying and also potentially dangerous - my wife drives a Citroen Grand Picasso and this has all its controls for heating etc on the touchscreen. So bad.

It's a showstopper for me. Even on the facelift they've removed the direct access buttons so you need to press the button to got to the on screen menu then choose what you want on it. Sounds trivial but the point is that it's worse. They've made the system worse. You can't just hit a button to go back to the radio from say the sat nav. You need to go through the menu.

w****rs!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It's a showstopper for me. Even on the facelift they've removed the direct access buttons so you need to press the button to got to the on screen menu then choose what you want on it. Sounds trivial but the point is that it's worse. They've made the system worse. You can't just hit a button to go back to the radio from say the sat nav. You need to go through the menu.

w****rs!
Kids want ipads on the dash simple as that, unfortunately this is 2020 and it’s what all the kids want.

we live in a time of the computer nerd

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Kids want ipads on the dash simple as that, unfortunately this is 2020 and it’s what all the kids want.

I AM a computer nerd - 49 years old been in IT for 30 years of them and love my technology and gadgets. The novelty wears off real quick when you just need to tweak the temperature up slightly or turn the fans on in the rear. Especially at night or on uneven roads. Just horrible.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018

Call me an old cynic, but I reckon it's not so much what the kids (or the geeks) want. I would imagine that it costs a lot less to engineer and manufacture than all those pesky rotary knobs and push buttons.

Reactions: Mr Pig and Mikeyh22

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I would imagine that it costs a lot less to engineer and manufacture than all those pesky rotary knobs and push buttons.

Yip, giving us less but making it look like were getting more. The facelift uses exactly the same system as before, they've just removed buttons. With the bigger screen it looks like you are getting something better but you're getting less. Not only have they removed the buttons but also the proximity sensor so now you need to touch the screen to get the menus up. It's a total con.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Call me an old cynic, but I reckon it's not so much what the kids (or the geeks) want. I would imagine that it costs a lot less to engineer and manufacture than all those pesky rotary knobs and push buttons.
Agree, but it sure as he11 won’t be cheap to replace a touchscreen if - or perhaps more likely - when it fails outside the warranty period.

I don’t know if it was on this forum or one of the VW Golf forums, but if the touch screen is sensitive to extreme temperatures (it was certainly an issue in early mk7 Golfs), it might mean all you‘ll see when the temperature drops below zero Is a blank screen. You’d hope that all ‘essential‘ functions accessible via the touch screen can also be operated via controls on the steering wheel - or voice control if that’s your thing. I wonder if voice control will be able to understand regional dialects and accents?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I wonder if voice control will be able to understand regional dialects and accents?

How's your Spanish? You have to say "Hola Hola" to activate voice recognition. I kid you not :confused:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Don’t know if it’s mentioned in the article but heard from a dealer that they won’t be a SC version anymore in either the new Audi A3, Golf 8 or SEAT MK4 only 5 door or estate options.

don’t know how true it is, but think it would be a shame to lose the coupé.
Yup 3 door is almost dead, nobody buys them. I think with the increasing size of hatchbacks 3 doors no longer look right.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Yup 3 door is almost dead, nobody buys them. I think with the increasing size of hatchbacks 3 doors no longer look right.
Yes, 3 door cars are a dying breed.

Within VAG there are very few 3 door models now. You can still get a 3 door VW up! but there’s no three door version of the equivalent Seat Mii or Skoda Citigo. No three door version in the next segment up (Ibiza, Polo, A1 or Fabia). VW also killed off their niche segment 3 door models (Scirocco and the Beetle) and stopped making the 3 door Golf during the mk7.5‘s lifecycle. You can get a 2 door T-Roc though - in convertible format.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
People who want a 3 door

single people around 17-25

after 25 people have families and want 5 doors. The sales for the 3 doors were weak so was not financially viable to keep churning them out.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.