Seat Ibiza 2008 repeated starting issues - linked to weather?

Apr 11, 2021
Hi,

My '08 reg Seat Ibiza regularly fails to start - the ignition cranks, but it fails to start running. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can manage to get the engine to start by pressing down on the accelerator whilst turning over - but usually it'll take me several attempts, and most of the time I have to give up completely. I have found in the past that if I continue to try to start the engine, with half hour intervals, eventually it will start.

Additionally, this doesn't seem to happen quite as often when the weather is mild, but when it's either extremely cold or fairly warm outside (e.g. somewhere around 15 degrees or above) it almost always happens. Hot weather particularly pretty much guarantees the car will not start.

I've had the car sent to two different garages to investigate this in the past, and neither were able to find any fault. I think on both occasions I'd send it in and they were unable to replicate the starting issue (the car would start just fine) - sods law. Does anyone know if there is a known fault on this model that would relate to the issue I'm having?

I'm at my wits end with this car and to be honest I'm considering scrapping it, but I'm hesitant because there's a chance it could be something relatively simple/low cost to fix.

Grateful for any insight that anyone can offer on this. Thanks

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
This sounds like it might be the documented hot-start issue. On my car it only ever did it in hot weather, the car would crank for ages but eventually start; I can't remember the detail but it's something to do with the car not being able to vent a build-up of petrol fumes.

There is an official Seat fix which consists of a replacement fuel tank breather valve and a software update. I didn't bother with a software update due to the expected cost of paying a main dealer, so I just replaced the breather valve and the problem hasn't returned since. On my car (2009 1.4) the part number was 6QE906517; it was about £30 for a genuine Bosch item. See below.

20210411 Ibiza valve.jpg

Reactions: T800System

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Not a proper answer, but just in case you didn't know, pressing the accelerator pedal fully down ie until it will not go down any more, enables FOT/WOT fully/wide open throttle and will stop the fuel being injected. This is useful if there is a fault that allows fuel to "bleed" into the cylinders as it helps dry them out, obviously as soon as the engine starts to fire you need to release the accelerator pedal quite a bit to let fuel injection to get going again.

The engine coolant sensor might be faulty and cheapish and easy to replace, I'd always buy a genuine VW Group part for that.

The trouble could be that that sensor is just not correctly sensing the true coolant temperature at "low" and "highish" temperatures, so the values that it is handing onto the fuelling system are wrong, but still within the expected operating window - which could explain why the garages have not just replaced that part.

Working on a car that is sometimes faulty but is never found to be faulty during examination is not easy to sort out when customers don't like workshops just going for it "might" be - and getting it wrong.

Reactions: T800System
Apr 11, 2021
Thank you so much to both of you, that's really helpful. Yes, I was already aware of that thread, but was unsure about how likely the issue those people were having was the same as mine due to the fact that this is happening not just exclusively in hot weather conditions. But one thing I can say for certain is that hot weather definitely exacerbates it - as I said, I can basically guarantee the car won't start on a warm day. It may well be a combination of things.

I've ordered the Bosch breather valve as suggested by vw.man (thank you for the part number) and I will try that first. If replacing that doesn't do the trick, I will then replace the coolant sensor as you suggest RUM4MO. I will post back here when I've done so to let you know the outcome.

Thank you both again for taking the time to reply to this, huge respect!

Apr 11, 2021
@vw.man @RUM4MO Hi guys, just an update - I replaced the purge valve as suggested and so far it looks to have worked - it was 16 degrees today and after fitting it the car started first time; that basically never happened before. I will test it again tomorrow (as it looks like it's going to be warm again) and report back, but it does look like this was the purge valve issue. Once again, huge thanks to you both, you've saved me a lot of hassle and money!!

Reactions: Callum Redman
Apr 11, 2021
Yeah, I tested it again today on multiple occasions - starts perfect every time. Thanks again both - take care

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you do find that it is still tricky to start in winter time, remember that it would be the engine coolant temperature sensor, ie 2 faults.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise