Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT is introducing the 1.5 litre TSI engine to the Ibiza, linked to a seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission. The new option produces 150PS (110kW) of power and 250Nm of torque.

The new TSI unit will boost the SEAT Ibiza’s performance, giving it a top speed of 219km/h, and the Ibiza will be able to reach 100km/h from a standing start in 8.2 seconds.

This engine will only be available with the seven-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission.

The DSG technology makes shifting smoother and faster, providing a more dynamic experience behind the steering wheel, while also increasing comfort levels for all vehicle occupants.

The SEAT Ibiza 1.5 TSI 150 PS DSG uses between 5.6 and 6.4 litres/100km based on the official WLTP test cycle. CO2 emissions are 128-147 g/km.

[url=https://www.seatcupra.net/2020/08/31/seat-is-launching-a-1-5-tsi-7-speed-dsg-ibiza/]Continue reading...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Interesting it’s to be available only in conjunction with DSG transmission. Maybe to avoid potential kangaroo-ing issues associated with the 1.5 EVO TSI engine when mated to a manual gearbox than many owners of various VAG models have experienced.

Reactions: Syphon

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Isn't that the same performance as the same combo in a leon/a3 which are heavier cars?

The Ibizas look nice though, they need to do another quick one.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I fondly remember my Ibiza 1.4ACT 150Black Edition, that was a quick little car across country, i somehow feel that this will not be the same! Looks smart though.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think this will be the quickest we get sadly.
I think you’re correct; prospective owners would probably have to look elsewhere within VAG if they want an Ibiza sized car with more than 150ps - Audi A1 or VW Polo GTI.

Audi already have the 1.5 150ps engine in the A1 but VW don’t offer that engine in the Polo; it’s either a 1.0 three cylinder engine in various states of tune or the 2.0 200ps engine in the Polo GTI. I doubt that VW will be getting the 1.5 engine though; if it were offered it would likely be in the mildly sporty looking R-Line, but looking at the pricing structure of the Polo range, a Polo R-Line with a 1.5 engine and DSG transmission would probably cost more than the cheaper of the two Polo GTI‘s (also with DSG) which wouldn‘t really make sense.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I would definately be interested in a 1.5 TSI 150 DSG Ibiza...now the Ibiza is back on my potential next car list...and and if only they have Seat Sound System back...haha..

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The Polo does get the 1.5 TSI with a DSG elsewhere in Europe. It's a shame you can't get the 1.5 with a manual. Or the 2.0 for that matter!

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
The Polo does get the 1.5 TSI with a DSG elsewhere in Europe. It's a shame you can't get the 1.5 with a manual. Or the 2.0 for that matter!

Yes, it does seem a shame there's no manual - there might be more interest. I was hoping to be able to consider a manual 1.5 or 2.0 Ibiza, Polo or A1 when I change the 140 Fiesta I have at present, but looks like there's no chance now. Ford seem to find it worthwhile currently offering 155 and 200ps Fiestas with a manual box, so there must be some demand.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
There are manual 1.5 TSI Ibizas and A1s out there, it's just that they were pulled from production. I think it must have been some emissions issues, likely that with all the constant changes they've had over the past couple of years, they figured it wasn't worth the effort re-certifying the manual.

Off topic- but weird- the A1 with the 115PS engine is 10.5 seconds 0-62mph. The Ibiza with the same engine is 9.3 seconds. Weird.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There are manual 1.5 TSI Ibizas and A1s out there, it's just that they were pulled from production. I think it must have been some emissions issues, likely that with all the constant changes they've had over the past couple of years, they figured it wasn't worth the effort re-certifying the manual.

Off topic- but weird- the A1 with the 115PS engine is 10.5 seconds 0-62mph. The Ibiza with the same engine is 9.3 seconds. Weird.

VW did the same with the 2.0 Polo GTI. The promised manual transmission never appeared in the UK, and in those overseas markets that did get the manual version, it was only produced for a very short period of time before it was pulled from the model line up.

As for the difference in 0-62 times for the Audi AI and Ibiza with the most powerful version of the three cylinder 1.0 engine; it looks as if the A1 has a power output of 110ps rather than a 115ps. So the most powerful 1.0 litre Ibiza has a slight power advantage over the most powerful 1.0 litre engined A1 (an extra 5ps). There may also be a weight difference between the two cars (A1 heavier maybe?) which would also have an impact on performance.

Last edited:

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
5PS isn't going to make much difference. The 110PS A1 is closer in speed to the 95PS Ibiza, which takes 10.9 seconds to 62, than the 115PS Ibiza. Weird.

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
The only small car getting the 1.5 tsi 150 is the VW T Cross.......Why Why Why ....... Ford Fiesta now coming with a 1.0 ecoboost MHEV pushing 155....... Would love the Ibiza to get the 1.5 or better still the 2.0 200 :/

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
You can get the 1.5 TSI with a DSG in the A1.

But yes. I certainly would like a 1.5 TSI in a small VAG car with a manual!

Reactions: loyalbear1872

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
I have just looked on the VW website - you cannot get a Polo GTI at the moment as they have been temporarily withdrawn also the 1.0 TSI only goes up to 110, no 115TSI available.... anyone any idea what's going on ??

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I have just looked on the VW website - you cannot get a Polo GTI at the moment as they have been temporarily withdrawn also the 1.0 TSI only goes up to 110, no 115TSI available.... anyone any idea what's going on ??

When I collected my new VW (Polo GTI+) last week, the dealer confirmed I wouldn’t now be able to order one and said the reason was emissions-related. From next year under European emissions legislation, car manufacturers have an emissions target for the entire ‘fleet’ of new vehicles they sell (presumably in Europe) of 95g of CO2 per km. I dare say that the UK will have its own similar legislation and targets as those under the EU emissions legislation at the end of the Brexit transition period.

The EU emissions target is being phased in during 2020 - I think the phasing in means that the 95g C02 per km target applies to each car manufacturer’s 95% least CO2 emitting vehicles in their fleet in 2020. So manufacturers may be selectively suspending (or stopping) production of certain models within their model ranges to change their overall mix of new vehicles to a ‘cleaner‘ mix, in an effort to work towards that emissions target. IMO it looks highly unlikely that VW or VAG overall will hit the target of 95g CO2 per km for their vehicle fleet in 2021, unless their fleet mix of vehicles shifts significantly towards all-electric and hybrid models. Many other manufacturers will be in a similar position; over on Fiestastoc.com forum recently, it was mentioned that Ford had temporarily ceased production of the Fiesta and Focus ST models.until the end of the year. This action may well be emissions related as I suspect the ST models will be the highest CO2 emitters in the Fiesta and Focus ranges.

For manufacturers who miss the fleet CO2 target, there are some sizeable financial penalties - for each g of CO2 over the target for the fleet of new vehicles sold, there is a fine of something like €95 for each vehicle. So for a manufacturer selling 1,000,000 cars in 2021 with a fleet average CO2 of 100g / km (5g over the target) they would get a fine of €95 x 5 x 1,000,000 = €475 million.

Maybe we won’t see the Polo GTI again until the current Polo model gets its mid life facelift. If so, then it might reappear with a different engine - maybe as a hybrid with a similar set up to the petrol-electric hybrid set up in the new Cupra Leon.

With increasingly stringent CO2 emissions targets, it does seem strange that Seat are adding a 1.5 engine to the Ibiza range, unless there are CO2 savings to be made elsewhere within Seat’s vehicle fleet.

Reactions: loyalbear1872

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
When I collected my new VW (Polo GTI+) last week, the dealer confirmed I wouldn’t now be able to order one and said the reason was emissions-related. From next year under European emissions legislation, car manufacturers have an emissions target for the entire ‘fleet’ of new vehicles they sell (presumably in Europe) of 95g of CO2 per km. I dare say that the UK will have its own similar legislation and targets as those under the EU emissions legislation at the end of the Brexit transition period.

The EU emissions target is being phased in during 2020 - I think the phasing in means that the 95g C02 per km target applies to each car manufacturer’s 95% least CO2 emitting vehicles in their fleet in 2020. So manufacturers may be selectively suspending (or stopping) production of certain models within their model ranges to change their overall mix of new vehicles to a ‘cleaner‘ mix, in an effort to work towards that emissions target. IMO it looks highly unlikely that VW or VAG overall will hit the target of 95g CO2 per km for their vehicle fleet in 2021, unless their fleet mix of vehicles shifts significantly towards all-electric and hybrid models. Many other manufacturers will be in a similar position; over on Fiestastoc.com forum recently, it was mentioned that Ford had temporarily ceased production of the Fiesta and Focus ST models.until the end of the year. This action may well be emissions related as I suspect the ST models will be the highest CO2 emitters in the Fiesta and Focus ranges.

For manufacturers who miss the fleet CO2 target, there are some sizeable financial penalties - for each g of CO2 over the target for the fleet of new vehicles sold, there is a fine of something like €95 for each vehicle. So for a manufacturer selling 1,000,000 cars in 2021 with a fleet average CO2 of 100g / km (5g over the target) they would get a fine of €95 x 5 x 1,000,000 = €475 million.

Maybe we won’t see the Polo GTI again until the current Polo model gets its mid life facelift. If so, then it might reappear with a different engine - maybe as a hybrid with a similar set up to the petrol-electric hybrid set up in the new Cupra Leon.

With increasingly stringent CO2 emissions targets, it does seem strange that Seat are adding a 1.5 engine to the Ibiza range, unless there are CO2 savings to be made elsewhere within Seat’s vehicle fleet.
Thank you for your very informative reply, cheers :)...... QQ are seat adding the 1.5 to the Ibiza ??

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Yup. That’s why the Focus RS has been ditched. Very sad times.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise