Seat Leon as first car.

Tom S

Evening all.

I start driving in May (I'm 16 now), and I'm seriously considering getting a Leon (1.4, for insurance reasons). I've seen some that crop up on Autotrader for dirt cheap, with respectably low mileage.

Are they reliable? They use the same engine as the Golf, don't they? I don't want something that will break down a lot, or something that will cost a lot of money to fix. Do they get worse after a certain amount of miles?

Would you recommend one as a first car? They're quite big compared to common first cars, but it doesn't really bother me.

I'm stuck in the middle of choosing a Leon or a Golf (mk4) at the moment, as these two are the cars that I REALLY want.

Cheers for reading!

Sep 4, 2009
Hey, welcome to forums. I chose a 1.6 Leon as it is pretty much the same car as a golf but just a bit cheaper! Everything under the bonnet looks pretty much the same as an older mk4 golf my mum used to have (i learnt in) so was very familiar with it. I have had no major problems with the car. Got it around 68k and just passed 100k. Passed its MOT last week with no problems.

I would recommend them a lot, just make sure you get one thats been looked after and hopefully should have no probs!

In terms of insurance you might be better looking at an ibiza/polo as smaller cars will reduce your premium. Especially if looking at a 1.4 engine. In a leon it might just feel a bit slow, if its a 1.4 in a smaller lighter car it will be more fun :p

clairyfairysUZU

You cant go wrong with a leon/Golf. They are pretty much the same car and for problems they are much more reliable than the usual 106 or saxo for a first car.
Also compared to a smaller car like the 106 the body is built better, my 106 crumpled after the lightest bump.
Only thing i struggled with in the leon was reversing (although i am short & female so it may just be me) but for parking the rear window has less visibility due to the shape. Have a drive of both see which you prefer? they're both great :)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I had a 1.4s Leon as my first car; did 60000 in it in my first 4 yrs driving and it didn't miss and beat - not a big engine, but if you use it to its potential it is not slow (rag the life out of it!). Brilliant car to learn in; big enough so you are "safe" in an accident; visibility is good, and it just seems more of a proper car than some of the corsas etc commonly used for learners.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
its hard but a friend of mine had a 1.0 corsa for his first car. It sounds awful, but then he got 1 year cheapish insurance and had 1 years no claims bonus - et voila set him up for future. Wasn't exactly intentional on his behalf but it worked out for him.

Entirely up to you though, depends what you're like and what you would be happy with. You wouldn't lose a massive amount on the corsa (or similar) and so could hopefully keep most of your cash to get a leon in a years time. Then you could look at getting a 1.6 or 1.9 derv instead. Better in the long run?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't forget the pass plus, that will also help with insurance. I think it's half a dozen extra lessons in different situations, but it ends up being roughly equivalent to a years NCB (depending on insurer).

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Corsa, having been a Vauxhall devotee for most of my driving life I have now seen the error of my ways and would never go back to them. True, they are a great way to mount up NCB and experience, but they're just not what I would call a decent car. And the depreciation, even on a second hand car, is immense.

I think you're making the right choice with a low engined Leon. Ideally, an Ibiza with the same engine would be better, but I guarantee the insurance would be more on the smaller car. It's just more of a risk unfortunately.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
They're good, reliable, well built cars. Can't go wrong with any modern VW/ Seat / Audi / Skoda - they're all the same.

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
its hard but a friend of mine had a 1.0 corsa for his first car. It sounds awful, but then he got 1 year cheapish insurance and had 1 years no claims bonus - et voila set him up for future. Wasn't exactly intentional on his behalf but it worked out for him.

Entirely up to you though, depends what you're like and what you would be happy with. You wouldn't lose a massive amount on the corsa (or similar) and so could hopefully keep most of your cash to get a leon in a years time. Then you could look at getting a 1.6 or 1.9 derv instead. Better in the long run?

Do this.

Buy a cheap shitter, sure its bad for street cred an all, but when you pass your test is when you start learning to drive.

As iirc 75% of people crash with in they're first year of driving, now you'd hate that to happen to you beloved leon!

Get some experience under your belt before going for a nice car, speaking from experience. I'll post a pic of mine, and the reason i'm telling you this.
:)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Do this.

Buy a cheap shitter, sure its bad for street cred an all, but when you pass your test is when you start learning to drive.

As iirc 75% of people crash with in they're first year of driving, now you'd hate that to happen to you beloved leon!

Get some experience under your belt before going for a nice car, speaking from experience. I'll post a pic of mine, and the reason i'm telling you this.
:)

Yea, but crash in your "cheap shitter" and you may not live to buy a leon!

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
n551676396_2510768_2897.jpg

Theres my reason!

I'll happily admit now i was too young(irresponsible) for the car. and as a result lost over £4k.

I'm now a Gold qualified RoSPA driver, and also hold my HGV C and PCV licences. I have learnt alot. I have also seen alot in my time on the road. I try to pass on my knowledge of advanced driving, reading the road onto any people i passenger with. just to try and make it slightly safer for them and other drivers.

I dont mean to offend, i just want you to see from another perspective :)

Dan1720v

Feb 28, 2010
Street, Somerset
Yea, but crash in your "cheap shitter" and you may not live to buy a leon!

I agree to a certain extent. The smallness and flimsy ness of a small car tend to make you drive(slightly) more sensibly. the psychology of being in a big car soon equals out to "im indestructable as there is loads of metal around me" which, tends to make them go faster than they're able to control/read the road as to what can/will happen.

Sadly what most drivers think when they know the road is they can drive fast. In reality all they know is the ROAD. Not whats on it.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
If you want a Leon and can afford it, then go for it. But keep in mind what everyone has said about crashing.

For myself I wasn't in a position to be able to buy my own car until I was 18 - so I had to make do as a named driver on my mums Clio - still it was a cheap way to gain some experience on the rare occasions she wasn't using it. Thankfully I also had a 50cc moped - and while it wasn't cool it meant I could still get around when mum was using the Clio.

Last edited:

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
n551676396_2510768_2897.jpg

Theres my reason!

I'll happily admit now i was too young(irresponsible) for the car. and as a result lost over £4k.

I'm now a Gold qualified RoSPA driver, and also hold my HGV C and PCV licences. I have learnt alot. I have also seen alot in my time on the road. I try to pass on my knowledge of advanced driving, reading the road onto any people i passenger with. just to try and make it slightly safer for them and other drivers.

I dont mean to offend, i just want you to see from another perspective :)

snap:p

my16v.JPG

my16v2.JPG

Young stupid and all that. Get the slowest car you can get your hands on lol;)

DUB BOY

Jan 8, 2010
London
i had a mk1 golf 1.3 as a first car and it was slow as funk always breaking so i then sold it and for the same money insurance wise i got a seat leon 1.9tdi which was the same amount to insure as a 1.4 mate.

Sam

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Wow I got off lightly compared to some of you...

This was 3 weeks after passing my test - though not my fault, someone pulled out infront of me.

6761432a4089721035b376473397o.jpg

Shame as it was a pretty nice car - and before anyone says too much power it wasn't a proper ST just a 1.8 diesel LX

RJ2DJ

Just a thought - for a learner, a golf has a lot better visibility for reversing..

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
visibility is good.

Hmmm, wouldn't say visibility is brilliant. Compared to other cars I've driven, a-pillars are pretty wide, and very large blind spots when looking out the rear.

Personally doesn't bother me as used to driving large vans, but think others (especially for new driver and others without spacial awareness/can't use mirrors) may struggle in a Leon!

Don't forget the pass plus, that will also help with insurance. I think it's half a dozen extra lessons in different situations, but it ends up being roughly equivalent to a years NCB (depending on insurer).

I think you're making the right choice with a low engined Leon. Ideally, an Ibiza with the same engine would be better, but I guarantee the insurance would be more on the smaller car. It's just more of a risk unfortunately.

:no: Pass Plus isn't always as black & white as that. When I looked into it when I was 17, it would have cost me something like £100 in lessons, and only took off £20 from my insurance on a 1.3 Yaris. So I didn't bother. Although it does reduce it more if you do pass plus and you're a woman.. surprise surprise!!!

And insurance was cheaper for me when I got my mk3 ibiza 1.4 compared to when I got a quote for Leon 1.4, cheaper by quite a lot (about £500 if I remember correctly).

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Hmmm, wouldn't say visibility is brilliant. Compared to other cars I've driven, a-pillars are pretty wide, and very large blind spots when looking out the rear.

Fair point, used to vans and estate cars so it is good in comparison; but probably not the best your right!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise