seat leon blank spots

Deleted member 20482

hi.
i have a seat leon 1.8 se(i know..i couldn't afford a cupra at the time)
like the car though.
has anybody had a bit of a lull in acceleration..engine doesn't really accelerate till bout 3000/3500 rpm then it takes off rather well..
its just the bit before the 20v kick in.seems abit flat to me..
any ideas on clearing it.

Mar 5, 2007
To the OP. It's probably because it's not very powerful, and needs a ragging to get going :)

But I thought the whole nature of the 20v engines was that they were punchier lower down at the expense of real high end ragging...?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Don't really suffer from turbo lag, anyway bud. The turbo isn't huge so doesn't take ages to spool. Mine comes in just after 2k and I can feel it instantly.

The 1.8SE is a n/a engine.

I'd be tempted to chalk the slow acceleration to breathing issues. It'd probably benefit from a performance filter and a decent manifold/exhaust. But then, you're talking money. Aside from that, might be worth checking when the sucker was last serviced.

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Mine suffers from lag.
but it all depends what cars you are sued to driving.
I mean i've driven evos' and skylines and im telling you now they do not have lag.
When i bought my LCR i didn't notice any lag till i jumpped into a 380bhp EVO.
:lol::-o

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Mine suffers from lag.
but it all depends what cars you are sued to driving.
I mean i've driven evos' and skylines and im telling you now they do not have lag.
When i bought my LCR i didn't notice any lag till i jumpped into a 380bhp EVO.
:lol::-o

i know! same with my pulsar! miss that dearly. :cry:

Deleted member 20482

sorry we ain't all loaded and besides had dr10 against me hense the se not cupra.
only do bout 3k a year..too busy driving work van
guess its the engine issue but then again same engine as cupra but with TURBO..
ANY CAR WILL GO FASTER WITH TURBO... just look at diesels...no way as fast with out turbo....FACT
but thanks anyway

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
mick18274 - Ignore all these people ranting on about their turbos! :duck: I've got the same engine as you but haven't had the problem you're describing. Was your car serviced recently? How many miles has it done?

Deleted member 20482

i purchased the car in dec 05 with 42k on it and as of today date got 46k on it.
not alot of miles i know.
it had a service (apparently )from the garage i bought it from before picked it up...
i was wondering if it might only be when the 20v kick in...there is a distinctive surge of power.
i'm not very mech minded hence asking you guys..

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Have people lost the ability to answer questions without sprouting off crap that's totally unrelated?

mick.... what age is your Leon? I believe some of the later engine r aevisions had VVT, which can make the car feel a bit livelier after a certain point in the rev range.
Also, when was your last service? It could be that your filters and spark plugs need changing or cleaning.

And lastly... have you fitted any form of induction kit? As these can cause the car to bog down due to heat soak. Obviously not a problem with the standard air box.

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
Have people lost the ability to answer questions without sprouting off crap that's totally unrelated?
It seems so Rob!! :headhurt:

i purchased the car in dec 05 with 42k on it and as of today date got 46k on it.
not alot of miles i know.
it had a service (apparently )from the garage i bought it from before picked it up...
i was wondering if it might only be when the 20v kick in...there is a distinctive surge of power.
i'm not very mech minded hence asking you guys..

mick - If the car hasn't been serviced since December 05 then its definitely due one, even if you've only covered 4k since then. Fluids, filters and like Rob said possibly even the spark plugs could all need changing. As said, I've not had this problem, and I've covered 38k so not too far off yours.
I never knew about the VVT, which I'm ashamed to say!!! I'm guessing mine has it as its one of the later engines, but I've always thought it suprisingly torque-y low down for a naturally aspirated engine anyway, particularly around the 2.5k-3.5k rpm range. That said, it does feel strong from 4k upwards so the VVT theory makes sense.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I could be wrong about the VVT. I know the later 1.8T engines had it and I have a feeling the 1.8 NA engine they are loosely based on have it too.

Deleted member 20482

hi.
its a 2002 model..1st reg in 07/02 according to logs.
i have not twiddled with anything on the engine..too complicated for me.i'm sure they do this deliberatly so you have to take it to dealer to fix.
only thing i have done to car to date is change the bulbs from standard to blue tint ones.. although have purchased some bits after reading this awesome site..ie w8 light.glove box liner etc..
i think i'm gonna go for the service thing but saying that i think it has always done it..
does anyone recall if this was a problem as i think i remember reading that this was a fault...
TO ALL THE BOYS WHO RAG YOUR CAR I CANT REALLY DO IT WITH MY KID IN THE CAR.
but thanks for the help

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The car should be serviced every year, or every 10k miles. So even if you only cover 4k miles in a year, get it serviced anyway. I would definitely recommend this soon though, especially if there is any doubt about when it was last serviced. And get the spark plugs changed at the same time, just to be sure :)

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I'd go with Robs advice, its due a service so get it done, prob find it'll make a big change, if not, then you can start looking at the expensive things that might be cause these problems!

Good luck matey!

One more thing, i know you said you dont do a lot of miles, how often does the car sit without being used? Maybe dirt in the fuel settling in the tank and clogging filters?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
One more thing, i know you said you dont do a lot of miles, how often does the car sit without being used? Maybe dirt in the fuel settling in the tank and clogging filters?

Good thought... perhaps some injector cleaner or Redex would do some good?

Deleted member 20482

thanks guys.
it gets used a few times week but not very far. i do try and give it a good run at least once a month....
might try the redex
but will get car serviced. need to save some pennies.

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
I had the same engine in my A3 and the same problem. I fitted a Dynatwist and i got allot more grunt down the rev range.

Also I don’t think the "20v" kicks in so to speak. It’s just an engine with 20 valves. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Whilst we are on the subject is it inlet or exhaust where the extra valve is