Seat Leon Mk1 boot won't open

Oct 5, 2020
Hi

Hoping you guys can help. My boot has stopped opening, the central locking sounds like it is working, and I have also lifted the flap and tried the key.

I've climbed in through the back seats, but I can't see a way to release the lock.

Oh, I've also tried copious amounts of WD40!

Thanks

Darren

andycupra

status subject to change
you need to get in the boot and pull off the trim, grab it at top, one hand either side of the middle and give it a quick hard pull. then you will need to look down and you will see the mechanism. there is a little solonoid type of arrangement with a metal rod which operates the mechanism, and this can get mid way between the two positions rendering you unable to open, the boot.
this happened many years ago on my old cupra and others had the same. I 'think' you can set the boot to lock unlock with the remote, or have it set to opening it with the key manually (if i remember correctly). i think the safer option is to set it to the manual unlock position.
anyway, you can pull on the metal rod that you will see to get the mechanism to operate then you can open the boot and work on it a bit easier.
you can try using some silicon or ptfe lubrication to get the solonoid working fully again.
For mine i did this and it worked ok for a year then did it again, i did the same, but left the trim off expecting it to happen again but 3 years later it was ok.

PS some people say you can lift the cupra badge so its at 90degrees and give the edge of it a thump towards the boot to give it a jolt. worth giving it a go, didn't work for me but some reported it did.

also found this quote on other forum:
hi,if you access boot trim from inside of car and remove the nearside handle(recess) used for lowering boot lid (one phillips screw and a bit of wrestling) you can reach inside trim and release the boot lock mechanism and the boot will pop open-i had this problem on my 2002 tdi se the fault was dirty contacts in the plug of the c/l actuator-a new plug and some switch cleaner sorted it out

UPDATE: see here for a good thread on here, this will help you see what you will be dealing with.

another thread around the same issue

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Awesome, thank yoo

As the person who had the headaches in the second link, I can tell you that lithium grease is going to be your friend here. You might be able to get it working if you pull the handle and spray grease into the hole on the right hand side and just work the handle back and forth, but if it's as bad as mine was, some disassembly will be required, which is a faff but not too bad.

A year later and I haven't had any problems with my boot handle - it just takes a bit of effort and patience to get the grease in there and to work it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dazthorpe