Seat Leon S 1.6 Turboo?

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
Yeahh! Decisionss.. Or was thinking of putting a supercharge kit in? Does anyone know how much hp it would gain from this?

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
No point. If you research into these things you'd find out you're better, safer and cheaper to throw in a 1.8 20VT engine.

Last edited:

bree9482

Sep 11, 2013
Glasgow
As already mentioned, you can pick up decent MK1 cupras for £1200, turbo kits alone if even available can run £500+. Plus you would be bolting it to a 1.6l engine. Get a mk1 cupra, map it few other subtle mods and hey presto your running 225bhp. Thats cupra R power !!!

mccracd

Sep 3, 2011
Belfast, n.ireland
I would emphasise that you would have problems with power delivery through the clutch and gearbox and you would need a custom remap for it, all that's gonna set you back a fortune and that's before you even look at how to stop the thing or make it corner properly!!

My advice is to buy a cupra with a decent service history or leave the 1.6 alone! Of course this advice may fall on deaf ears lol if you do proceed I'd love you to start a readers ride because it would be interesting to see if it can be done and how effective it is

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
Yeah sounds good, might just leave it for a few years tbh as insurance for a 225bhp cupra would most probably be quite expensive pocket money :D I will probably look around for little tinkering tools and stuff to get much horsepower out of this thing, or remapping the ecu. One of my mates had his audi remapped from 200bhp to 250-260bhp for £300 which sounds quite good and massive improvement in horsepower but then of course this is a seat so who knows how much bhp it will gain from this :/

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Yeah sounds good, might just leave it for a few years tbh as insurance for a 225bhp cupra would most probably be quite expensive pocket money :D I will probably look around for little tinkering tools and stuff to get much horsepower out of this thing, or remapping the ecu. One of my mates had his audi remapped from 200bhp to 250-260bhp for £300 which sounds quite good and massive improvement in horsepower but then of course this is a seat so who knows how much bhp it will gain from this :/

your mates audi has a turbo hence the huge gain..... youll be lucky to get 10bhp from a map on a non turbo engine. Save for a cupra ;)

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
Remaps on NA cars are pretty much a waste of time, unless you're talking about bigger engined cars like the M3, S4 etc.

To be honest mate, I've been there. I had a 1.8se Leon years ago.

I smoothed the airbox out, added a bigger air feed and a green filter. Looking back it was a huge waste of time and money. If you want extra noise stick a universal induction kit on. Don't both with the exhaust, it won't do sh*t except make more noise.
Just make it look smarter and enjoy it, big of a drop, nice set of wheels = done.
There's plenty of time for fast motors.
After my Leon I moved onto things like a Legacy GT, 200sx s14a and a Civic type R. I've recently bought my LCR and I love it, was well worth the wait.

Please, please, please don't think I'm been funny, I'm just giving you advice from lessons I've learnt.

Last edited:

csundika

If in doubt, flat out!
Sep 18, 2013
Banbury
Is there any difference in universal induction kit and electric supercharger kit do you think? I mean looking at some of them they fairly look the same but which one would be more suitable as in money, time and what would the outcome be? which one would you preferrr? :)

mccracd

Sep 3, 2011
Belfast, n.ireland
I've never heard of an electric supercharger kit! A universal induction kit will be a replacement for your air filter but unlikely to make a huge difference to bhp, but it might make it a bit louder.

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
You can get decent electrical supercharger kit on ebay around £80-100 :D

Please please please don’t get one of those electric fans!!

They are basically a 12v fan like you get in a computer. Your engine will suck more in by itself than what that little fan can push. It will only get in the way and restrict the airflow.

Think about it, if they really did work, why would VAG fit a turbo at massive cost, when a little 12v fan could do a similar job. Yes, it can move lots of air, but not at anything above atmospheric pressure.

You could rout a cold air feed to the front fog light if you wanted. At say 30mph it would push more air in than that fan, and it would be cold air.

If I were you, I’d focus on the brakes and handling side of things.
A car that doesn’t have to slow down to go round corners will feel faster anyway. Keep all your original parts from your suspension, then if you do get a Cupra you could take transfer your good suspension setup to that, return your 1.6 to standard to sell it.

mccracd

Sep 3, 2011
Belfast, n.ireland
Here's a thought, stay with me, instead of modding your car why not spend that money on getting it properly detailed/machine polished by a professional and serviced. Things like that make a car look cared for which adds value when you come to sell it. Put it this way, when I got mine detailed in August it put a bigger smile on my face than the performance mods ever did. If more people did that instead of trying to make their cars produce 2 more bhp then the world would be a better place!

Just my 2 cents :)

Jackkk

Sep 22, 2013
Worcester
That video made me roar! i knew i should have got one of those fans instead of my cupra r!
Stick with the 1.6 till you can afford a cupra r, they are well worth it in the end!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members