SEAT Leon Touchscreen?

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
Hi everyone,

I just wanted people's opinion on the touchscreen and general media system in the Leon. Is the 6.5" version much better than the 5.5" version? Is the resolution high? Is the touchscreen capacitive like a new phone or resistive like the touchscreens of old? Has anyone got any experience with CarPlay in Full Link? Just looking for any opinions whatsoever! :p

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Only got 5.5" version but very low res and sluggish. Would love to replace with hi-res version. I suspect they're all resistive tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
Ah really? That's disappointing. Does that mean you can't do things like pinch-to-zoom etc. on the satnav?

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Just checked and you can pinch to zoom in and out but mine is so slow to do so, its just much easier to use the right hand wheel. In fact from a safety point of view, its also much easier just to use the wheel unless you've stopped of course.

I'm sure the MY15 High Nav and newer units are much more responsive and better res. I actually use Waze on my 6s in the Brodit mount next to the screen and use the screen for radio or car information. So much better in terms of traffic updates and if you hook it up via BT, you'll get the audio in the car.

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for the info! It's disappointing if all of the screens are resistive, especially when you compare them to the likes of those in the new Astra (I know, it's still an Astra!). Would be great to hear from someone with the newer version to see if there is much of an improvement.

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Have a look on YouTube for vids of the Nav High system. From someone who has the older system, you can see its much more responsive and higher res.

BND-UK

Nov 21, 2015
I've had both.

Just returned a diesel fr with the smaller screen and collected a cupra st with the nav high option.

Resolution and speed both far superior.

Last edited:

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
I've had both.

Just returned a diesel fr with the smaller screen and collected a cupra st with the nav high option.

Resolution and speed both far superior.

Is the upgraded unit a proper glass screen or more of a soft plasticky affair? Any experience using full link? :D

BND-UK

Nov 21, 2015
The screen feels no different to before - soft and not glass.

I have used full link only as android auto with a nexus 6 running android 6. Works perfectly for me.

Very useful to have google maps available via the screen in the car.

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
The screen feels no different to before - soft and not glass.

I have used full link only as android auto with a nexus 6 running android 6. Works perfectly for me.

Very useful to have google maps available via the screen in the car.

Thanks for the info - disappointing that it's still resistive. Hopefully the 2017 facelift brings a capacitive screen with it. Do you find that the screen is high enough for the satnav to not be distracting?

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
It's ideally placed for me. Not too high so it's distracting but not low enough for it to be a safety issue when using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
6.5" screen on my MY16 is responsive on navigation and general use. Android Auto is good with voice control and navigation, hopeless playing music (the Play Music app crashes constantly and locks the whole thing up, blame Google for that one).

I quite like the feel of the touchscreen, pinch to zoom works on the 6.5" one and being non-reflective surface is a good thing imo.

Height wise it's in the perfect spot, could do with being angled a bit more towards the driver if I'm being really picky.

Last edited:

lm_92

Jul 5, 2015
6.5" screen on my MY16 is responsive on navigation and general use. Android Auto is good with voice control and navigation, hopeless playing music (the Play Music app crashes constantly and locks the whole thing up, blame Google for that one).

I quite like the feel of the touchscreen, pinch to zoom works on the 6.5" one and being non-reflective surface is a good thing imo.

Height wise it's in the perfect spot, could do with being angled a bit more towards the driver if I'm being really picky.

Thanks for your input, looks like most people are pleased with the newer unit. Can you use the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Android Auto voice control?

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
Thanks for your input, looks like most people are pleased with the newer unit. Can you use the voice control button on the steering wheel to activate Android Auto voice control?

Yup sure can :) Normal press and release does the in-car system, press and hold does Google voice control. "Find me the nearest..." and similar queries work really well. If Google would only sort out the awful music playback it'd be awesome.

You can also reply to WhatsApp and similar supported programs all via voice, the message readout doesn't grammar though and hearing it swear with zero emotion is oddly amusing :happy:

StewartWaudby

Jan 21, 2010
Yup sure can :) Normal press and release does the in-car system, press and hold does Google voice control. "Find me the nearest..." and similar queries work really well. If Google would only sort out the awful music playback it'd be awesome.

You can also reply to WhatsApp and similar supported programs all via voice, the message readout doesn't grammar though and hearing it swear with zero emotion is oddly amusing :happy:

That's odd as I have no problems at all with the AA music playback, I listen to it all the way home most evenings with no problems. Hold the button, say "Play <album>,<artist>,<track>" and it plays. When does it fail for you?

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I have the 6.5" screen in my newish cupra. I can't fault the unit itself so far, no issues with hanging / locking up. I don't use full link but regular user of nav, dab and sd card for music. I think it's a good std offering.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
That's odd as I have no problems at all with the AA music playback, I listen to it all the way home most evenings with no problems. Hold the button, say "Play <album>,<artist>,<track>" and it plays. When does it fail for you?

Pretty much all the time, plays a couple of songs then randomly when loading the next track or issuing a voice command the whole thing hangs. Best I've had is 5 songs I think, got hopeful an update had made it more reliable then bam it crashes again. Even worse I then can't reconnect AA as I'll get errors from Full Link "Android Auto disconnected". Only way to get it back is to task kill the AA process then reconnect.

I've tried various methods of voice control e.g. album, specific song name or just artist name. Interestingly when the voice says "Sure" it usually works; if it says "Playing Music" I know a crash is coming along shortly!

Going back to the phone there's usually a "Music Playback Error" showing in the notifications panel.

Reading around suggests it happens more with music manually copied to SD card, which is just stupid as that's where storage capacity is. I have no desire to upload all my music to Google to then pay data charges to stream it back down again, nor do I want to subscribe to their streaming service despite non stop advertising screens appearing each time the Play app gets upgraded [:@]

The Android Auto music UI also annoys me as I can't see music by artist or album. Whoever thought omitting that was a good idea needs their head examining! The iPhone music app on CarPlay blows Google away at the moment, it's the real weak spot in their offering and really lets the side down as Google Now is excellent.

Last edited: