Second hand Cupra prices shooting up...

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Anyone else notice the second hand car market price rise ? I got mine a year ago with 8500 miles for just over 18k and a year later with 22k I can get £18500 on we buy any car and £19000 if I sold it privately lol , only problem being is everything else is higher you want to buy.

Wayne.mead

May 2, 2021
Any body on here want to estimate a price for a 2015 fr technology Leon ,grey 184 bhp,has got a mild remapp on at the moment,220 bhp on paper,more torque,diesel 63 k ,fsh ,2 owner.all standard apart from that ,few stone chips on front.all belts and pumps done,as well as heater matrix.only thinking of selling because of sicko Khan ulez.which the car is 6 months to old,grandkids live in zone.I don’t…not sure what price to ask.thanks

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Anyone else notice the second hand car market price rise ? I got mine a year ago with 8500 miles for just over 18k and a year later with 22k I can get £18500 on we buy any car and £19000 if I sold it privately lol , only problem being is everything else is higher you want to buy.
It‘s the impact of the worldwide shortage of semiconductors and Covid. Car manufacturers can’t get the computer chips needed for their cars, and production workers are needing to self isolate if they have Covid or have been in contact with someone who has Covid, so shortage in supplies of critical components + smaller workforce = fewer new cars are being built. This has created an increase in demand for good, nearly new cars, which has pushed up values and prices.

If you sell your existing car, then you‘ll almost certainly get the benefit of a higher than expected price for it. However, it then raises the dilemma of what to replace it with - and the cost;
  • As you’ve said, a replacement in-stock car at a dealers is likely to also have an inflated price. Many dealers are desperately short of stock - hence why they’re willing to pay over the odds for cars just now, and this translates into higher forecourt prices.
  • If dealers have any new unregistered vehicles in stock, they‘re likely to be less willing to negotiate on the price of these cars, as they’re struggling to get new cars from the factory to replenish their stock.
  • Ordering a new factory build is likely to mean a long wait time, so might not be an option for many if they need a car and don’t have a second vehicle in the family to make use of.

I read on a VW forum of one dealer who was so desperately short of stock, they’d resorted to parking their reduced stock diagonally on the forecourt so it didn’t look so empty!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Any body on here want to estimate a price for a 2015 fr technology Leon ,grey 184 bhp,has got a mild remapp on at the moment,220 bhp on paper,more torque,diesel 63 k ,fsh ,2 owner.all standard apart from that ,few stone chips on front.all belts and pumps done,as well as heater matrix.only thinking of selling because of sicko Khan ulez.which the car is 6 months to old,grandkids live in zone.I don’t…not sure what price to ask.thanks
I’d start by getting prices from car buying services such as Motorway, Wizzle or We Buy Any Car. Ensure you’re honest about the car’s condition, to reduce the risk of any initial indicative value from car buying services being subsequently reduced due to undeclared ‘damage’ (stone chips, dings, scratches, wheel scuffs etc.) once the car is viewed.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
It‘s the impact of the worldwide shortage of semiconductors and Covid. Car manufacturers can’t get the computer chips needed for their cars, and production workers are needing to self isolate if they have Covid or have been in contact with someone who has Covid, so shortage in supplies of critical components + smaller workforce = fewer new cars are being built. This has created an increase in demand for good, nearly new cars, which has pushed up values and prices.

If you sell your existing car, then you‘ll almost certainly get the benefit of a higher than expected price for it. However, it then raises the dilemma of what to replace it with - and the cost;
  • As you’ve said, a replacement in-stock car at a dealers is likely to also have an inflated price. Many dealers are desperately short of stock - hence why they’re willing to pay over the odds for cars just now, and this translates into higher forecourt prices.
  • If dealers have any new unregistered vehicles in stock, they‘re likely to be less willing to negotiate on the price of these cars, as they’re struggling to get new cars from the factory to replenish their stock.
  • Ordering a new factory build is likely to mean a long wait time, so might not be an option for many if they need a car and don’t have a second vehicle in the family to make use of.

I read on a VW forum of one dealer who was so desperately short of stock, they’d resorted to parking their reduced stock diagonally on the forecourt so it didn’t look so empty!
Exactly

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
I got in just in time when purchasing mine, 6 months later tha same spec is £5k more. Semi conductor shortage causing chaos for a lot of industries including cars.

Sister ordered a new troc in May and hasn't even had a deliver date yet, just being told its delayed.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
WBAC valued my 2016 184FR for £7700 in November last year, last week they valued it at £9800!
It's all Monopoly money, unless you're selling as you don't need a car anymore!
Second-hand cars and bikes are going crazy, and I'm sure that's why I'm seeing loads of companies like BOTB emerging that raffle off second-hand vehicles. If you could win a car that would normally be out of your reach, you're going to take a punt for a few quid.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I genuinely think the cupra will become a bit of a cult classic in the future, there's millions of golf gti's you see them everyday, but aside from the cupra my neighbour has I rarely see others on the road

mind mine will have so many miles on it it will probably be worthless, 18 plate already on 42k

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Yep
Offered 16k flat a couple of weeks ago.
That's since gone up to 17k

I paid 19ish over 2 years ago but have only put on 5/6k miles since.

Just checked AT.
The equivalent of what I've got now (preface blacked 290 with 22k) is up for over 19 from a dealer.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Yep
Offered 16k flat a couple of weeks ago.
That's since gone up to 17k

I paid 19ish over 2 years ago but have only put on 5/6k miles since.

Just checked AT.
The equivalent of what I've got now (preface blacked 290 with 22k) is up for over 19 from a dealer.
Interesting.

This is my first brand new car. Now 2 years old. We buy any car valuation is showing depreciation of only £500.

Reactions: JM65 MCC

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
It's all about the price to exchange - true. But as above, I thought I had got a good price when I bought my Cupra Lux ST. Good to know it hasn't devalued in 2 years! People always say don't buy a new car - you lose out on depreciation.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
It's all about the price to exchange - true. But as above, I thought I had got a good price when I bought my Cupra Lux ST. Good to know it hasn't devalued in 2 years! People always say don't buy a new car - you lose out on depreciation.
You would under any other circumstances but this is unprecedented and a bonus for some , a lad on YouTube bought a new RS3 then kept it for I think 8 months and just got back what he paid for it meaning the RS3 was free lol

Reactions: seatgraham

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Glad I bought my Cupra ST before all this. So far I'm over 2 grand up for 4k miles use! Though I plan on keeping it, such a fun car.

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
I've used wizzle.co.uk a few weeks ago. It was a sought after car (cla45 shooting brake) and 2 dealers were bidding for it towards the end (1 dropped out when it kept going up). I was happy with what I got and so was the dealer. I collected him from the local train station, he drove the car back to my house and I was paid before he left with the car.
The dealer pays £300 to wizzle for being the 'middle man' but I've stayed in touch with the dealer and would speak to him first when I sell again.
I sent them lots of photos beforehand and they paid the price offered without haggling. Very easy.
The dealer prices are quite inflated at the moment but there are still dealers who want to sell. The Cupra leon st phev I've just bought was a pre reg at £30500 and I offered £28k

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
I'm up 2K after 14 months and another 14000 miles....
Yeah i am experiencing the same thing and with being in Northern Ireland the limited numbers of Cupras here has grealty helped my owns value.

But as you have rightly said anything you would replace it with has shot up in money.

That all being said the current market has pushed me to improve my car and want to keep it.

Reactions: Meeky and JM65 MCC
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise