second hand Gearbox issues- high revs

Jan 7, 2022
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here. I've had a look and can't seem to find my question on here. I'm not familiar with layout and search options but have tried my best.

My question/scenario is this:

I recently had a second hand gearbox fitted into my 2010, 6 speed 2.0l TDI and the new box seems to slip into reverse without depressing the gearstick.

Additionally, I have found that the engine revs really high in all gears where before at 68ish mph I had 2000 rpm (in 6th gear) it is now closer to 3000.

The on board computer shows gears 2 and 3 as 2; gear 4 as 3, and 4 as 5 and when moving the stick into 6th it displays 5.

I have taken the car beck to the mechanic and told him of this. Initially he said it was fine after a quick test drive but I was firm and told him the gear ratios seem.off and the car is hitting 3000rpm in '6' quickly.

Oh and the cruise control doesn't work now either.

The car is being looked over but I'm convinced the gearbox is not for a 2.0l 6 speed diesel-whixh I have told the mechanic.

Has anyobldy ever had a similar experience?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here. I've had a look and can't seem to find my question on here. I'm not familiar with layout and search options but have tried my best.

My question/scenario is this:

I recently had a second hand gearbox fitted into my 2010, 6 speed 2.0l TDI and the new box seems to slip into reverse without depressing the gearstick.

Additionally, I have found that the engine revs really high in all gears where before at 68ish mph I had 2000 rpm (in 6th gear) it is now closer to 3000.

The on board computer shows gears 2 and 3 as 2; gear 4 as 3, and 4 as 5 and when moving the stick into 6th it displays 5.

I have taken the car beck to the mechanic and told him of this. Initially he said it was fine after a quick test drive but I was firm and told him the gear ratios seem.off and the car is hitting 3000rpm in '6' quickly.

Oh and the cruise control doesn't work now either.

The car is being looked over but I'm convinced the gearbox is not for a 2.0l 6 speed diesel-whixh I have told the mechanic.

Has anyobldy ever had a similar experience?
Did the mechanic fit the gearbox you supplied? If so its your fault. If he supplied the gearbox and fitted it then it’s his fault but yes it would suggest you’ve now got the wrong gearbox in your Leon. What was the issue with your old gearbox? What’s the number off that box? And what’s the number on the box you’ve had fitted?

Jan 7, 2022
Hi,

Thanks for all your help guys. Picked up the car today and it was indeed fitted with the wrong gear box. I'm not sure about the numbers on the original and the replacement but the mechanic had sourced the new gearbox so was gracious enough to sort it without too much of a debate.

The cruise control is working to now. Think it was an issue because the revmatch wasn't correct to engage it.

The car now got the correct version fitted and drives perfectly. The mechanic did say that the one he had sourced looked identical and fit so he assumed it was a like for like replacement but when he took it out and spoke with the supplier i think it became apparent the box was not in fact the right one.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read my original post and respond. Much appreciated!

Reactions: 300bhpdaily
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.