Secondary Water Pump

MatJ

Hi

The bearings in my secondary water are shot and can anyone tell me how much its likely to be to replace it and if its safe to run the car with it unpluggeduntill i get it sorted (as it's loud as :censored: ).

Also anywhere i can order one from to avoid a trip to the stealers?

Cheers

high on dirt

Jun 25, 2006
look for someone breaking a cupra on ebay thats what i did cost about £10+ alittle for postage only takes a second to swap them too.

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
exactly the same happened to me over the weekend! lol
mine was really noisey.

i unplugged mine and have had no problems. doesnt overheat or anything! just the temp light flashes and bleeps indicating theres something up with the cooling system.

if u cant get one off ebay, go to your local SEAT dealer, cant imagine them being much!? i havnt had chance to order one yet!

MatJ

Mine was intermittent for ages and id just packed up the car to go to newquay at the start of the weekend and it started grinding and wouldnt stop, typical before a long weekend of driving.... drove me nuts all weekend. I wasnt sure if unplugging it was a good idea if there was no bypass and the coolant is restricted when the engine is on.

I did a more meticulous search after i posted it seems there 95 quid from the stealers... but im sure theres somewhere that you can get them from cheaper so if anyone knows of anywhere...

My water temp usually sits at 90deg no matter what but with it unplugged it does touch 100..... which makes me think it bottle necks the flow if its not plugged in. Also got give it a proper cool off i would have thought before you turn it off let everything cool down sufficiently.

MatJ

It doesnt sit at 100 but say if i got in the car now gave it a 10 minute warm up then went and nailed a lane or 2 flat out and sat in some traffic it would be at 100 and it never used to do that when it was plugged in and working.. :wtf:
it does settle back at 90 again just worrys me when i see it above 90.

Suppose ill have to drive her slowly till i get a new one :cry:

What is a safe maximum temp?

Feb 25, 2007
stroud
It doesnt sit at 100 but say if i got in the car now gave it a 10 minute warm up then went and nailed a lane or 2 flat out and sat in some traffic it would be at 100 and it never used to do that when it was plugged in and working.. :wtf:
it does settle back at 90 again just worrys me when i see it above 90.

Suppose ill have to drive her slowly till i get a new one :cry:

What is a safe maximum temp?

90 deg mate no hotter drive the car with care if its going over
you should be able to unplug with no hasttle ive done it so have a few others on here

Last edited:

MatJ

when its unplugged though the temp light is flashing most of the time and beeps at you unpleasantly every now and again to remind you that summit aint right.

Just checked the hand book and it seems that its still within normal operating temps up to 105 are normal anything above is not good.

MatJ

Thanks for advice guys, ill treat her gently.

Anyone know where i can get one from cheaper than the dealers...?

freddie

super duper cupra...
Apr 2, 2007
Hull, East Yorkshire
Might be on the wrong track here but could it be down to a faulty termostat?? I was told they are preset to 79 deg it would still read 90 on clocks. But temp could be anywere between 79 and 100 degrees. Anything above 100 degrees the needle rises above 100?

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
Hi

The bearings in my secondary water are shot and can anyone tell me how much its likely to be to replace it and if its safe to run the car with it unpluggeduntill i get it sorted (as it's loud as :censored: ).

Also anywhere i can order one from to avoid a trip to the stealers?

Cheers

ive just ordered one from SEAT or stealers? lol and its £94 for a new secondary water pump! :( im sick of my cupra, even the guy in there said "whats up with it now!" argghhh [:@] :censored: lol

deanrankin85

Nov 28, 2006
Stoke-On-Trent
Dean do you know the part number?

yes mate, 251965561B: addition coolant pump, £94.20.

i fitted it today: i could undo the to clips holding it in place as the nuts are right underneath, so i was able to pull the pump through the clips and just slide the new 1 in!

if you run it with no water it will screech like a bitch, so fit it, leave it unplugged and run the car for a minute and let the pump fil with water (and fill up the header tank if youve lost any water, then plug in the pump, should be nice and quiet, like mine now is! :D:D

hope that helps!?