Service Intervals

Jun 15, 2013
Jarre

Unfortunately you are talking about the old model Leon, we are talking about the new one. The service requirements are different.

And the long life oil is way more expensive than the oil used in fixed servicing.

Your garage is having a laugh.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I should probably should look at the sub forum more often...

I contacted a few dealerships and they all told me that the oil was the same between long life and standard. So in that case, good luck to you all with long life. It doesn't matter to me as I'm going to service it myself anyway. It allows me to pay for a dealer service once every 20k and still have FSH.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Jarre

Unfortunately you are talking about the old model Leon, we are talking about the new one. The service requirements are different.

And the long life oil is way more expensive than the oil used in fixed servicing.

Your garage is having a laugh.

The recommended specification of oil for the 2lt tdi 184 FR Leon irrespective of whether Long Life schedule or Time and Distance schedule is exactly the same - VW 507 00

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
I too heard that the oil was exactly the same.
I currently still have my MY13 Ibiza 2.0 TDI which is on time and distance servicing rather than Longlife - and during its last service the oil put in was the same 'long life' stuff you guys are discussing, it was on the print-out I was given after the service.

Just checked the Leon manual however and it states in there (for diesels with DPF) the same VW 507 00 oil regardless of type of servicing.

So perhaps there is added confusion on people who are hearing about diesel vs. petrol?

I just compared prices on the VW 502 00 against VW 504 00 and the difference was a massive £1.37 over 4 litres - so if dealers are telling you its much more expensive then they are talking bollocks as per usual.

Jun 15, 2013
Mine is a 1.4 TSI petrol, fixed servicing. Oil is 502 00 or 504 00, for flexible it would be 504 00 only. The best price locally I found when getting a top up of the 502 00 in 5w 30 was £21 for 5 litres. The best price I have seen for 504 00 5w 30 on the interweb is £33.59 for 5 litres plus postage at Opie oils. Stick on the typical 100% dealer mark up and the difference at the dealer would be over £25. Bit more than £1.37 quoted above. With more research I could possibly find lower prices but Opie are rarely beaten.

But as I said it does not affect me and others who bought the bargain service plan when we got the cars. We have 3 or more years of inflation protected servicing at way less than the cost of individual services.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Their seems to be much confusion on the servicing and when how often, even the dealers seem to give a different answer depending on what day of the week it is lol
It should be so simple yet the last dealer spent 10 minutes going on about it and seemed to confuse himself ??

Anyway, just to add something else into the mix
I was told that no matter if its 10 or 20k for an oil service, the car can change that based on your driving habits, I.E. lots of short trips, more dpf regens, more diesel fuel contamination in the oil
=much much shorter oil change service
It will flag up on the dash to tell you

That does make sense but is it fact, or do you just stick to what the dealer recommends

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
All seems a tad confusing! I don't pay so I will drop it off every 10k or when the dash lights up like an xmas tree.

Jun 15, 2013
Don't know why its so confusing, simple enough for me to understand. Here is a link to Seat Service info on the interweb.

http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/services-and-accessories/service/Service-and-MOT.html

The important thing to note is the simple fact that the MAX distance/time on the longlife schedule is 2 years/20,000 miles.

Also remember since the longlife schedule is condition based even if you do a low mileage many short journeys may make the indicator on your dash come on well before the 20,000 miles or 2 years. That is why for low mileage users the fixed time/distance is the best to go for.

And another thing to remember, all the prices on the Seat website are for cars on a fixed service interval.

As I said, its very simple. If dealer staff cannot understand it they should be sacked.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Dealers can't understand though. My car is 2 years old. One dealer told me it was due it's major service (3rd year). The dealer I got it done at told me the £189 gave you nothing (other than a tech test driving it) over the £129 so insisted I paid that. Had I gone to the other dealer id have spent an extra £120 over what I needed too.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Skidpan, if it was so easy to understand then no-one would be on here querying this issue, would they?

Jarre, I totally agree with you on the confusion thing. My FR184 is setup for Long Life servicing - verified by VCDS - yet my dealer is adamant it is 10000miles or 1 year. Who is correct? SEAT UK need to get their act together to ensure their dealers do likewise.
Hey-ho, the joys of modern motoring!:rolleyes:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
My FR184 is setup for Long Life servicing - verified by VCDS - yet my dealer is adamant it is 10000miles or 1 year. Who is correct? SEAT UK need to get their act together to ensure their dealers do likewise.

^ This.

Still none the wiser as the car (1.8) says one thing and the dealer another.

I'm thinking I'll just oil change it at Yr 1 and service at Yr2. Unless it wants to tell me otherwise. :think:

Jun 15, 2013
Easy way to find out when your service is due. Go into the car menu on the radio (or whatever they call it) and in there you will find a menu that tells you when the service is due by date and mileage.

If you miss a service its goodbye warranty so don't risk servicing the car incorrectly.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Skidpan that's fine as long as the dealers know what they're doing. Mine was serviced by SEAT in Durham and they ticked long life in the book but set the service indicator to 10k/1 year. When I queried this they told me it couldn't be done, then proceeded to set it to 'nothing'.

My car is now set properly having been done by a competent dealer.

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Easy way to find out when your service is due. Go into the car menu on the radio (or whatever they call it) and in there you will find a menu that tells you when the service is due by date and mileage.

If you miss a service its goodbye warranty so don't risk servicing the car incorrectly.

A year or so down the line and some owner(s) may be kissing their warranty goodbye in total innocence cos the car says - set to Long Life servicing and the dealer says sod off, I told you 10000m/12mths. Who would deemed correct in those circumstances...?:think:

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Before I pick up my car I will ask for it to be put on long life servicing. I currently have this on my diesel Audi A3 as I do a lot of miles and I find that I get about 18,500 miles in between services.
Also for others considering long life service just to let you know that if your car is on long life servicing you actually have two service lights, 1 is for the oil change and the other is for the main service. In my experience the oil change service light comes on around 600 miles before my main service light and I have always booked it into the Dealer when my main service light comes on and get everything done together. Like DW911 pointed out, I guess in some circumstances your oil change light could actually come on a lot sooner than your main service light so you might have to get it done separately but from my experience it's very close together.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I was going to buy 1 litre for top ups which are not part of the service plans some of us have bought.

I researched the pricing and found that Euro Car Parts beat all others hands down:

The Specification is Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 5w - 30 4 litres VW 504 00 and VW 507 00
Fulfils the requirements of the former VW 503 01 specification

Opie Oils 41.99 + 4.99 PnP = 46.98
EuroCar Parts 27.99+ Free Delivery = 27.99 ( since I bought it you have to use the voucher code oilbonanza30 to get this price - it's on their home page.

At this price for an item that has a long shelf life it was worth buying rather than 1 litre. Mind you I have not used any oil yet.

How are others faring on the oil burning front? I have a 1.2TSI and it's a little cracker IMHO

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise