Service - Need new brakes

montana83

Mar 7, 2006
Hampshire
Just put my car in for its service and they said it needs new front pads and discs on the front. Got quoted a lovely £507. :wtf: :wtf:

OHHHH MYYY GOD

For some reason i said NO

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
I know i have normal brakes, but..........
the front discs and pads from Seat, were £90 and it aint a hard job (on my car).....not sure about brembos tho.........

Seat wanted £250 and an independant garage wanted £225.........

It will cost ya if you cant do it yaself dude!

SpareMan

Feb 8, 2006
Cupra R discs £117.91 each
pads £138.62 for a set.
So parts total £374.44

The rest of the cost depends on labour time (is it about 1.5 hours?) and labour rate. Would be about right with labour rate £75/hour + VAT.

You not aware of the costs of Brembo brakes when you got the car, it is a sporty car and do tend to wear out quicker than 'normal' Leons

My suggestion is buy the parts but take them elsewhere to be fitted, or do them yourself as you said

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
Hi Ive Just Sent My 03 Cupra R In For Service Too!!! And Guess Wot?? It Needs New Front Pads!! I Was Quoted £181 Just For The Pads To Be Fitted!!! Wtf!!! I Rang Around A Few Of My Local Car Accessory Places And Got A Set Of Mintex Front Brake Pads That Will Fit The Brembos For £22.30!!!!! Not Much Difference Is There!!! Rang Seat To See How Much They Would Charge To Fit Them - £45!!! I Think That Will Be The Way Forward!!!!!!!!

montana83

Mar 7, 2006
Hampshire
Yeh i knew they were expensive was prepared for bout 350 so wen matey said 507 was kinda shocked so will source from different location

mmfb

Feb 12, 2003
Berkshire
Visit site
Try NVS - see my other posts on brakes. They came to my work and fitted OEM pads cheaper than Seat would have sold them to me as a part.

M

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Did my LCR brakes a month ago, discs £85 each, Galfer 1055 pads £60 P&P ~ £15
= £245 + about 1.5 hours of my time. Newbury is my local dealer but I wasn't going to pay them for such a simple job, and they wanted £115 for each disc!! So I bought mine from SEAT in Warrington.

Just do it your self and save ~ £250

montana83

Mar 7, 2006
Hampshire
Just picked up my car after the service.

Needs new rear wiper motor as well as scratchin the glass but the service guy reckons he may be able to swing it on warranty, fingers crossed

So actually a big thanks to the dealer (not often you can say that)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
CRAIGLCR said:
Hi Ive Just Sent My 03 Cupra R In For Service Too!!! And Guess Wot?? It Needs New Front Pads!! I Was Quoted £181 Just For The Pads To Be Fitted!!! Wtf!!! I Rang Around A Few Of My Local Car Accessory Places And Got A Set Of Mintex Front Brake Pads That Will Fit The Brembos For £22.30!!!!! Not Much Difference Is There!!! Rang Seat To See How Much They Would Charge To Fit Them - £45!!! I Think That Will Be The Way Forward!!!!!!!!

beware of cheap mintex pads... on LCR
others have had bad experience of them if you search on the topic.. Cheap for a reason.. These are you brakes after all! ;)

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Having watched a mates dad fit my 312mm upgrade onto my old MK4 Golf GTI, im incredibly confident of being able to do it with the help of a mate.

I'd rather spend a full day doing it than pay those extortionate prices.

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
hi there!! fitted my new mintex pads saturday!! it took all of 1 hour!! so im glad i didnt pay the staggering £181 quoted from the stealers!!!!!!