servicing a diesel

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
the service light has come on in my 110 tdi its my first diesel before this ive had a few petrols and and i serviced them myself this is what i did.....
filters (oil,fuel,air,pollen) i also flushed and changed the oil and flushed and changed the coolant and gapped the plugs + had a poke round to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Obviously you cant gap glow plugs but is there anything i should do extra or shouldent do
anything to look out for ??

its got 110,000 miles on it
had a cambelt at 100,000

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
If you're unsure of the service history, or even if it's documented, it's a good idea to do all filters then you know they've been done. It's very easy to pay for a fuel filter and not have it changed on a service. Also, cheap oil is cheap and therefore very attractive to garages. You might still be paying for good quality oil though.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
Guys, I cant find it anywhwere.......How do I change a fuel filter? Also, what tool is needed to un-do the engine oil sump plug? Just a normal socket. Its not a poncy tool like the gear oil is it?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Fuel filters differ dependant on engine. Be a help to know which one you're talking about.

Sump plug is just a standard socket mate, but can't recall what size. Nowt special though.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
It is a 110 se tdi leon mk 1 on an 03 plate.

I thought that was the case with the oil plug! Thanks for the confirmation!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
The 110 is one I've not done, but as far as I know the new fuel filter is the complete housing with the new filter inside. Clamp the fuel lines, remove the hoses, remove and discard the old fuel and filter, fill new filter with fresh diesel or injector cleaner, reconnect, unclamp lines, and crank. Something along those lines.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
enginebay-vac-sol.jpg

Number 14 on here.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.