shaking the engine realy bad on idle wen cold!

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
hi all i started my car at work and its shaking the engine realy bad on idle wen cold...
i have to keep the revs up to keep this away.
i took the car for a wee drive and u can here the turbo but there no power at all :S
but no smoke from the car what so ever ?

im realy confused and a bit worried as i have just bought this car 2 weeks ago

andycupra

status subject to change
does it feel like its running on 3 cylinders? missfire?

there is a common issue of coil packs failing. (There is a coil pack for each spark plug)
Im not saying 100% it is this, we need more info and investigation, but if it was a coil they are about £25 each.

If you feel confident you could check if a coil has failed by removing each in turn and if the engine does not get any worse with one removed then that is the fauty one.

Last edited:

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
there is no missfire.
i will check the coil pack's asap also there car had a service like 1 week ago and was running fine.
there shaking goes when warm
but when starting up when cold there is a rattling noise :S
then its starts shaking
the engine getts realy loud until its warmed up..

but it has only happend today

Dec 19, 2006
Wonder if maybe your secondary air pump needs re-sealing which would give you the loud noise on start up possibly, does the noise start on cold start up then stop after say 20 secs then comes back on after a few mins for about 10secs if so then its more then likely the secondary air pump.
As for the idling sounds like a coil pack maybe, make sure there all pushed down fully but if the coil pack has gone then i'm pretty sure you would have an engine light on your dash on.

As said though need more info

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Had a similar problem on my old Cupra. Engine ran fine but it was chuggy/spluttery and the engine was bouncing around. There was also a hissing noise from under the bonnet. This turned out to be a split vac pipe under the inlet manifold allowing un-metered air in. This also flagged up a knock sensor fault in Vagcom. All fix by simply replacing the pipe.

Might not be the same fault on yours but you never know.

Matt.

andycupra

status subject to change
i cant say id expect the engine to be 'shaking' for anything other than a misfire... ?
(well unless it really is very serious and given the engine appears to run ok when hot id count that out).

im also amazed how many people say there car isnt misfiring then it turns out to be the a coil pack..

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
the car seems to hiss alot but not go anywhere but it only does this sometimes
the oil levels are fine
no warning lights at all
but there is no problems when driving only when starting up and letting idle til warm ?
goin to get it looked at tonight or tomorrow by a garage near me

adamwharton

Did you have any luck with the problem?, mines doing very simular things, poor ideling on start up, to the point of cutting out. Fine when warm, bar hesitation and some misfiring. Changed the Engine coolant temp sensor, improved some what, but didnt fix the problem. K

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
no i have had no luck but the engine has seemed to be ok the last week
it onli does it occasionally...
im still confused over this matter.....
my turbo still seems to his more than its kikin out

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Did you have any luck with the problem?, mines doing very simular things, poor ideling on start up, to the point of cutting out. Fine when warm, bar hesitation and some misfiring. Changed the Engine coolant temp sensor, improved some what, but didnt fix the problem. K

sounds like a coilpack

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
ye im still looking for what the problem could be ?
im putting my car into nrths motorsport soon to get a full stage 2 engine + turbo rebuild and remap so im sure that they will help me with this matter

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.