Share your experience of Android-Auto, Apple Carplay, Mirrorlink

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Is the Sat Nav any better in the MY16/Sat Nav High units than the original versions?

Don't know what earlier versions are like but I have no complaints with my MY16 sat nav. Very quick start up and screen quality is fine.

One thing I am really impressed with is the SD card playback for music ....I have a 256gb card and it works so well. Really quick and great 'cover flow' scrolling through albums.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Is the Sat Nav any better in the MY16/Sat Nav High units than the original versions?

As someone who's had both - yes. Speed and response is much better as are graphics due to increased screen resolution.

Other tweaks now offer a scrolling cover art jump between tracks (as mentioned above).

Pressing car button while in that function scrolls all the options (mpg/consumption/vehicle status).

All much more user friendly but probably what should have come from launch.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
As someone who's had both - yes. Speed and response is much better as are graphics due to increased screen resolution.

Other tweaks now offer a scrolling cover art jump between tracks (as mentioned above).

Pressing car button while in that function scrolls all the options (mpg/consumption/vehicle status).

All much more user friendly but probably what should have come from launch.

Have you found the actual navigation any better than the older version? Are there any extra options when it comes to navigation?

I thought I read somewhere that the new Nav systems use a different map supplier?

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Have you found the actual navigation any better than the older version? Are there any extra options when it comes to navigation?

I thought I read somewhere that the new Nav systems use a different map supplier?

Despite some tweaks and menu changes to my eye it's pretty much the same.

gshaw

Jun 14, 2014
Essex
So far I've found the satnav OK, got me home from the dealer quickly and didn't have much trouble with it. I do like the directions appearing in the little screen as well :)

It's not so clever if you know better for part of the route e.g. the other day it wanted to send me on the M25 for part of the journey when I knew a back road instead and wouldn't re-route even though I'd started going a different direction (whereas Google Maps tends to figure out what I'm trying to do and follows my lead)

As for Full Link, can be pretty much summarised as iOS good, Android bad

Tried a friend's iPhone 6, one cable connects instantly and you're in. Music is available in the same way as via the usual iPod integration plus you can then see CarPlay apps as well.

Android Auto hmmmm, goes something like this...

- connect up, all seems OK initially (requires both cable and Bluetooth for some odd reason, still trying to figure out if audio is going over the cable connection or wireless)
- try to play Music, first track plays OK (usually) then it freezes with "couldn't play the track you requested" error on the phone, car UI stuck on "getting selection". From what I've been reading this may be down to music stored on the SD card, if so really poor from Google as funny enough that's where large data stores go on Android phones.
- at this point Android Auto freezes and you have to disconnect the cable
- plugging cable back in then gives either a black screen or connection error
- task kill Android Auto then try again, 50% success rate or another reconnect attempt is required
- sometimes audio comes out of the phone instead of the car despite Android Auto running - no logic to why this happens unfortunately.

Google Play Music UI is pretty but very limited. Tracks are meant to be changed by voice control in the first instance but I imagine that relies on a data connection to do the voice recognition. The screen interface doesn't allow selection by artist, album etc. and only gives recent activity or playlists as options (neither of which are what I want to use). The Google Play Music app also nags incessantly to sign up for their subscription streaming service which I find irritating.

Third party app support very limited right now as well, pretty much limited to the Google stuff and Spotify.

All in all Android Auto seems a bit of a bodge right now, even down to the fact it covers your phone with a full-screen logo whilst running to disguise the fact it's filling your notification bar with foreground programs. Google need to put a LOT more effort into this platform or they've lost the automotive market before it's even started, calling it a beta product would be generous. I don't think the SEAT system is at fault as I've read quite a few reviews saying similar things.

Last edited:

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
So far I've found the satnav OK, got me home from the dealer quickly and didn't have much trouble with it. I do like the directions appearing in the little screen as well :)

It's not so clever if you know better for part of the route e.g. the other day it wanted to send me on the M25 for part of the journey when I knew a back road instead and wouldn't re-route even though I'd started going a different direction (whereas Google Maps tends to figure out what I'm trying to do and follows my lead)

As for Full Link, can be pretty much summarised as iOS good, Android bad

Tried a friend's iPhone 6, one cable connects instantly and you're in. Music is available in the same way as via the usual iPod integration plus you can then see CarPlay apps as well.

Android Auto hmmmm, goes something like this...

- connect up, all seems OK initially (requires both cable and Bluetooth for some odd reason, still trying to figure out if audio is going over the cable connection or wireless)
- try to play Music, first track plays OK (usually) then it freezes with "couldn't play the track you requested" error on the phone, car UI stuck on "getting selection". From what I've been reading this may be down to music stored on the SD card, if so really poor from Google as funny enough that's where large data stores go on Android phones.
- at this point Android Auto freezes and you have to disconnect the cable
- plugging cable back in then gives either a black screen or connection error
- task kill Android Auto then try again, 50% success rate or another reconnect attempt is required
- sometimes audio comes out of the phone instead of the car despite Android Auto running - no logic to why this happens unfortunately.

Google Play Music UI is pretty but very limited. Tracks are meant to be changed by voice control in the first instance but I imagine that relies on a data connection to do the voice recognition. The screen interface doesn't allow selection by artist, album etc. and only gives recent activity or playlists as options (neither of which are what I want to use). The Google Play Music app also nags incessantly to sign up for their subscription streaming service which I find irritating.

Third party app support very limited right now as well, pretty much limited to the Google stuff and Spotify.

All in all Android Auto seems a bit of a bodge right now, even down to the fact it covers your phone with a full-screen logo whilst running to disguise the fact it's filling your notification bar with foreground programs. Google need to put a LOT more effort into this platform or they've lost the automotive market before it's even started, calling it a beta product would be generous. I don't think the SEAT system is at fault as I've read quite a few reviews saying similar things.

Totally agree on android auto. I have stopped using it all together for now due to its limited functionality. Playing music through itis a complete joke.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
I wouldn't bother yet..... I was sure I must be doing something wrong I was so underwhelmed

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I wouldn't bother yet..... I was sure I must be doing something wrong I was so underwhelmed

It's a shame close but not good enough. But i guess it's weighing up what you gain IF it worked. Last thing we want is something frustrating :cry: it should be seemless :D

StewartWaudby

Jan 21, 2010

That's weird as my experience is completely different, AA has been flawless for me so far, connects first attempt every time. Google maps works as you'd expect as does Play Music. It's a bit of a pain not being able to access your entire library and having to set up playlists but I assume that's part of the AA requirements for having a car specific interface to reduce distractions when driving.

Only thing missing for me is an AA version of Waze. Oh, and it would be nice if there was some integration with the binnacle display rather than just saying "Android Auto" on the Media page

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
That's weird as my experience is completely different, AA has been flawless for me so far, connects first attempt every time. Google maps works as you'd expect as does Play Music. It's a bit of a pain not being able to access your entire library and having to set up playlists but I assume that's part of the AA requirements for having a car specific interface to reduce distractions when driving.

Only thing missing for me is an AA version of Waze. Oh, and it would be nice if there was some integration with the binnacle display rather than just saying "Android Auto" on the Media page

Good to know. So an S5 is not great, but the Nexus 6 is pretty good.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015

I can only see a few random albums in my library and there is no way to search for any others. Do I need to dou something else?

Nav works fine but I prefer the built in sat nav anyway.

StewartWaudby

Jan 21, 2010
I can only see a few random albums in my library and there is no way to search for any others. Do I need to dou something else?

Nav works fine but I prefer the built in sat nav anyway.

I've just set up some playlists which contain the music I want to listen to in the car and I can then select those from the AA Play Music display. I gather it's to stop you attempting to navigate several thousand tracks while driving

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I've just set up some playlists which contain the music I want to listen to in the car and I can then select those from the AA Play Music display. I gather it's to stop you attempting to navigate several thousand tracks while driving

Have to do that with my Alpha and previous S5 mini just via bluetooth anyway

bretth1974

May 3, 2015

I'll stick to my 256gb SD card then.

Other phone functionality is also massively limited as far as I can work out. I may be doing something wrong but i don't find it very intuitive.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015

A lightning (to USB) cable is all that is needed? No bluetooth or analog for the audio? That seems good, since my phone holder only has the lightning connector. And also since bluetooth audio sometimes sounds like crap.

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
I would agree with the AA comments, it's a bit pants at the moment. I didn't realise my HTC M8S didn't run Mirror Link until my iPod classic hard drive died and I had to use my phone

Tricepz

Dec 11, 2014
Just to update that i received my new Leon as well few days ago :)

The AA app works flawless for me, but, i am joining the comments that WAZE navigation app is missing badly :(.

Google Maps is nice, but Waze is far more superior, waiting for it to be integrated hopefully someday!.

P.S - Is it possible to connect the android phone by another method which is not just AA? (Full-Link?)

I tried but the device is not recognized unfortunately.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.