Shell V-Power fuel

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Shell V-power is the new name for the "optimax". I think its a RON99 fuel. Whereas your average asda/tesco fuel is about 95/96 RON. Basically the higher the RON rating, the better the fuel.With more octane and additives that help clean your engine. It also helps the performance a bit. Nothing major, but I definitely CAN tell the difference on my 16v. It also slightly helps improve the MPG. The only price for all this is.........the price.

p.s you wont tell any difference if you put a £10 worth in. It takes about a tank full before you star to notice anything (before the olf fuel gets flushed out)

Mig

monkee

Yes im naked in my avatar
Shell V-power is the new name for the "optimax". I think its a RON99 fuel. Whereas your average asda/tesco fuel is about 95/96 RON. Basically the higher the RON rating, the better the fuel.With more octane and additives that help clean your engine. It also helps the performance a bit. Nothing major, but I definitely CAN tell the difference on my 16v. It also slightly helps improve the MPG. The only price for all this is.........the price.

p.s you wont tell any difference if you put a £10 worth in. It takes about a tank full before you star to notice anything (before the olf fuel gets flushed out)

Mig

I saw it in the filling station mentioning a RON of 102 - i thought jet planes only used that level of octanes

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I don't think its 102RON. I think Tesco are doing some new Super unleaded that it Ron100. But than I read somewhere that Shell are doing some extreme fuel at some of their stations that is like 105RON (i think), BUT.........its £2.50 per litre :-o

I run my lil 1.4 on 97RON superunleaded. And even I notice the difference. Takes about 4 tank fulls for the car to adapt but as soon as you put 95 ron it just feels alot slower.

I tend to find normal supermarket superunleaded isn't as good as Total Excellum, or Optimax. So I try to stick to Total and Shell garages around here.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
well i am getting about 300 miles of 30 quids worth in my 1.4 currently, thats normal unleaded

not sure if the extra price is worth it tbh

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
stuck 20quid in a couple of weeks ago *just to see*. Engine runs smoother, quieter, and more than anything, it keeps the I've-just-filled-up-with-fresh-petrol feel rather than acting like NOS.

When u get to the end of a cheap tank of petrol, the car feels *flat*, like all the most reactive fuel has gone, and ya left with the lifeless gunk at the bottom of the tank.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
well i am getting about 300 miles of 30 quids worth in my 1.4 currently, thats normal unleaded

not sure if the extra price is worth it tbh

I remeber those days back in my 1.4 beeza. But now im geting about 240 miles before my fuel light comes on. And thats running on V-power as well:cry: . I think I need to go to the doctors and get my right foot checked up, because I think its made out of LEAD :drive1:

Mig

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well yesterday I filled up some V-power (better than optimax by 1 ron) at a Shell garage in Guildford, at shockingly low 91.9p per litre :D

Mig

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
I know BP do a simular fuel at £2.50 per litre or something silly like that..although have been tempted to fill a tank to see how it goes...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.