Shocks & Springs or coilovers

Crackers

J400CBS
Sep 21, 2008
Hull
Apart from been adjustable, whats the benifits of coilover suspension?

I want to lower my Leon but cant really aford the coilovers but still want to know out of interest.

Also anyone recomend the pest Shocks& spring kit to get. Got 19"s on and want to lose that horid gap between wheel and arch.

Thanks

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I liked the Koni FSD damper & Eibach ProKit spring set up until the front dampers wore out!!
Seems to be a common problem with the front dampers going pretty quickly.
Anyway, I have now got some Spax adjustable dampers, which still need to be fitted, but I'll let you know what they feel like.
The Eibach ProKit springs are around £150 & drop it 20-25mm. The Spax adjustable dampers are around £380 for a full set.

Crackers

J400CBS
Sep 21, 2008
Hull
Right so i dont need coilovers. Just need to make a decision what kit to go for. Like i said, got 19"s on my car so want that low agressive look at the front. Was thinking maybe a 30mm drop. Any suggestions?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Prolines should give you a 20-25 mm drop and the Sportlines are about 30-35 mm drop.
Its really up to you, there are plenty of pics on the forum of Leons with either on.
Alex

I've read on other forums that fitting Koni FSDs with standard springs (on a Golf or might have been a Mini Cooper, can't remember), could result in a slight raise in ride height. Does this mean that using FSDs with Eibach Pros gives a more subtle drop than usual (maybe 20mm rather than 30mm)?

You can tell I'm new to all this! :)

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah the FSD's do seem to raise the car slightly so fitting 30mm Eibach Pro springs would only see around a 20mm drop.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Having had both, I would recommend the Sportlines as it rides and handles better with them, and the stance is nicer without being too low.

Thanks. I've read your comments in several threads Al, but I've also read good reports of the Pro ones from others. In the end, I've booked my car in for the Pros as I was advised they are a better match for the FSDs and I wanted a minimum possible drop. Fingers-crossed, I'll get the improvement in ride that I'm looking for.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Thanks. I've read your comments in several threads Al, but I've also read good reports of the Pro ones from others. In the end, I've booked my car in for the Pros as I was advised they are a better match for the FSDs and I wanted a minimum possible drop. Fingers-crossed, I'll get the improvement in ride that I'm looking for.

That is what I have as well. The drop is good but the main product of the change is the improved ride and handling.
Alex

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Forgot to mention my chariot is running stock suspension again at the moment, but I have a set of Eibach coilovers to go on. I will post up pics and opinions when thats done. I reckon I will make the ride height approx the same as the Sportlines as it was a nice stance but was still able to clear speed humps and kerbs.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Took them off as I stripped the car to sell it. Then decided to keep it :lol:. Just not got round to fitting the coilovers yet.