Short Life Rear Springs

unck57

My Alhambra SE 1.9TDI seems to eat rear springs. Car is now 6 years old and and I am just having to replace the 4th rear spring (2 each side). Is this a general issue with this model (which features the lowered 'sports' springing) or am I just unlucky?

Kenneth

are you actually replaceing the springs with like for like? as I was under the impression from the local seat dealers that they cant get replacement parts for those models fitted with the sports package suspension! in the cases where they have had to replace shockers or springs they have to fit the lower spec parts as only the factory has access to these parts!
also how are the springs failing? and do you tow or carry a heavy load?

unck57

I don't know the source of the parts used - have use a garage to do the work. They have never mentioned any problems with getting a part, but I will try asking them when I pick up the car after current broken spring is replaced.

I don't do a lot of heavy load driving, nor are the roads that I use particularly rough. I did hear a spring break once - just after turning a corner at moderate speed (once straightened up) and no bumps in the road!

unck57

...missed your question re failure mode. Always seems to go at the top mount end of spring and after the first 3/4 turn of the spring. A quick look at the spring and it looks to be sitting ok - the first time it happened to me I found this rusty piece of spring sitting in the lower suspension arm and wondered if I had picked it up off the road.

aclepob

Me too. Just had the offside rear spring replaced. Near side went a couple of years ago.
Nothing obvious about the failiure, no veRy bumpy roads, potholes etc. just normal driving. Latest spring failed about 3/4 turn down from the top and is a clean break across the diameter of the steel.

My local garage tell me it is common with Alhambras and also with MK3 BMWs.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise