Should i buy my mates V Reg Cupra?

ibizacupra?

Hi,

I'm quite new to this forum so hello everyone.

I am in a dilema and need some help from you lot.

My mate is wanting to get shut of his Ibiza Cupra R 2.0 Its on a V Reg and has done 122k.

I have recently accepted a new job so need an additional car because me and the wife now work in different areas. I thought i might have a look at the car.

Now some questions.

How much do you think i should be paying for this? It has a little scratch on the back panel, the exhaust is blowing, the ABS light in on but if you move the steering wheel it goes off and i think it might need a new lamba sensor because its a bit juddery when you give it some welly. It sounds and drives good but i don't know if its the car for me?

It was very quick on the motorway but now and again i got a smell of burning? Is this normal? Should i be put off by the mileage?

Sorry for all the questions i'm just really interested in this car.

Whats it like for running costs? How many miles do you get from a tank and how much does it cost to fill up?

Last one. I have 6 years NCB but this is being used on our other car (07 Vectra SRI) so the insurance for this car is sky high its coming up at £700. Do you know how i can get this down?

Thanks in advance guys! I look forward to hearing from you lot!

Cheers, Ben:shrug:

Luke_buk

Sep 5, 2009
South Yorkshire
i would get the electrics looked at first to see why the abs light is on. and find out what the burning smell is this is not normal on any car..

you said your mate wanted shut of it. is there a reason why. the judderin could be a number of things might be the maf or lamba sensor. or could even be the turbo going, does it smoke bad? look in the rear mirror when booting it hard.

as for the price have a look around on auto trader and other places.

ibizacupra?

Thanks for that. I dont think it has a turbo on it but he works in a garage so he can probably sort these niggles out. He wants shut because he is doing lots of motorway mileage and would be better on with a small diesel car. Maybe this is what i need too :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i would get the electrics looked at first to see why the abs light is on. and find out what the burning smell is this is not normal on any car..

you said your mate wanted shut of it. is there a reason why. the judderin could be a number of things might be the maf or lamba sensor. or could even be the turbo going, does it smoke bad? look in the rear mirror when booting it hard.

as for the price have a look around on auto trader and other places.

turbo? doesn't have one lol

is it a 8v or 16v?

mileage shouldn't mean much, VAG engines go forever lol

juddering? is it from the engine or actual chassis/wheels etc?
if engine could be a number of things, engine mounts, throttle body, air-leak?

if chassis then could be suspension etc

and £700 is good, i'm paying £790 with no NCB atm (but i am 21 lol)

ibizacupra?

Ha ha. I used to have a mini cooper on a j reg when i was 21 and that was 1k to insure. I'm paying out for the vectra insurance. I might put the vectra in the wifes name and then put this in my name and then it would be under £300 for insurance. The juddering is just like the fuel is spluttering a bit or misfiring.

Do you reckon i'd get it for £750?

Luke_buk

Sep 5, 2009
South Yorkshire

is it a 8v or 16v?

mileage shouldn't mean much, VAG engines go forever lol

juddering? is it from the engine or actual chassis/wheels etc?
if engine could be a number of things, engine mounts, throttle body, air-leak?

if chassis then could be suspension etc

sorry me being stupid. ime new to cupra struff. i just asumed all cupras are turbo.
i should have clicked when he said it was a 2.0

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Ha ha. I used to have a mini cooper on a j reg when i was 21 and that was 1k to insure. I'm paying out for the vectra insurance. I might put the vectra in the wifes name and then put this in my name and then it would be under £300 for insurance. The juddering is just like the fuel is spluttering a bit or misfiring.

Do you reckon i'd get it for £750?

well that might be the throttle body mate, my one was the same, get some carb cleaner from halfrauds/similar motor factors and have someone press on accelerator while running, and spray all in, you should see soot out the back! that's normal, should run fine after that

also check sparks are ok too, might be them, try the small fixes, even a new dizzy cap/rotor arm if its still happening!

sounds quite good, is it in good nick otherwise? bodywork etc?

sorry me being stupid. ime new to cupra struff. i just asumed all cupras are turbo.
i should have clicked when he said it was a 2.0

haha no problem man, yeah mk2's were N/A (well as standard :p)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
well open up the bonnet, and see if the engine looks like this
engine1.jpg

then it's a 16v

if there is extra room in the bay (not packed like the 16v) then it's the 8v

ibizacupra?

Spot on I'll have a nosey at it when i see him this week. Thanks!

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
My mate is wanting to get shut of his Ibiza Cupra R 2.0 Its on a V Reg and has done 122k.

Now some questions.

How much do you think i should be paying for this? It has a little scratch on the back panel, the exhaust is blowing, the ABS light in on but if you move the steering wheel it goes off and i think it might need a new lamba sensor because its a bit juddery when you give it some welly. It sounds and drives good but i don't know if its the car for me?

It was very quick on the motorway but now and again i got a smell of burning? Is this normal? Should i be put off by the mileage?

Whats it like for running costs? How many miles do you get from a tank and how much does it cost to fill up?

Last one. I have 6 years NCB but this is being used on our other car (07 Vectra SRI) so the insurance for this car is sky high its coming up at £700. Do you know how i can get this down?

Thanks in advance guys! I look forward to hearing from you lot!

Cheers, Ben:shrug:

what interior has it got ? has it got air con ?

It wont be a cupra R, they didnt do a cupra R in a mk2...The ABS light issue would lead me to think its a 16v.

Also, your insurance is having a laugh if they want £700. I am 24 with 4 years no cliams and 6 points and i renewed for £450 on my 16v before it went.

Running costs are okay. On the motorway mine did 43 at best but when giving it some i saw as low as 15. Depends how heavy your foot is.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
122k is a lot of miles and things are gonna wear through, so unless its got lots of paper work backing it up then i'd be thinking £600 tops.

I sold my 130k valver for £950 with £4000 of receipts backing her up.

That mileage you want minimum recent evidence of:
Cambelt
Clutch
Brakes

Other things like suspension components, radiator, head gasket, brake lines, ABS system, exhaust soon add up and start to cause trouble around that mileage.