should your calipers move outwards with new pads fitted?

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
mine's do and now clip my wheels as the offset isn't perfect. But is it normal for them to come out a bit? My mate doesn't think so.

andycupra

status subject to change
for brembos, the calipers themselves shouldnt move, just the piston inside the caliper.

Doesnt sound correct to me.
who fitted the pads? are all the bolts etc secure?

(if you have floating calipers, then thats different)

Last edited:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
on brembo style calipers with pistons both sides of the disc, the caliper won't move; however on single piston floating style calipers, the caliper body will move outward when new pads are fitted to allow space both sides of the disc for the thicker pads.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
The calipers are touching the inside of the alloy wheel :confused:

Did you take the calipers off the hub when fitting them?

Yes they run close but should never touch. Pics?

They are none oem alloys iirc from a previous thread

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
on brembo style calipers with pistons both sides of the disc, the caliper won't move; however on single piston floating style calipers, the caliper body will move outward when new pads are fitted to allow space both sides of the disc for the thicker pads.

what he said but my money is on it being a floater type

elliott87

May 27, 2008
Edinburgh
yeah i got aftermarket wheels on with an offset of et42. I know the correct offset is 35. The wheels fitted and cleared with litteraly 2mm, but with new pads the clip it. I just wanna make sure that the caliper is ment to move to allow thicker pads before i go getting spacers or new wheels with correct offset.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
so is this normal?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The carrier is fixed.
The Caliper floats on the carrier so it is always centred on the disc.
With no pads in, the piston would pull the front face of the caliper towards the centre of the car. So with fat pads in, the opposite is true.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.