shudder on tickover

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
I have recently noticed a strange engine "shudder" on my 1.9TDi Altea.
It only occurs when the engine is at tickover, AND is fully warmed up.
If I increase the revs it stops, but returns again when the revs drop back to idle.
I am aware of the DMF issues with various models, and assume that mine is fitted with a DMF (55 plate Stylance), but don't know whether this is the problem, or whether it could be something else ??.
The car has only done 35k, so I am hoping that it is not the DMF !!
It is not a major issue at the moment, as it is barely noticeable, but I am obviously concerned that it may develop in to something majorly expensive !!
Anyone got any ideas ??

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
This is one of the things i have never got an answer on, been told the shudder was cured by ecu updates but had these and still occured. It is a very faint yet almost nauseating feeling i find. Every 5seconds or so a wave of vibrations. Had my dmf replaced at 7800miles and still same. Wonder if idle was set slightly higher, even by 30-50rpm would it help?

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
My "problem" is virtually constant rather than occurring every 5 seconds. The whole engine shakes in it's mountings, but if I touch the accelerator pedal very lightly and increase the revs, it goes away :confused::confused:

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Engine mounts are fine, and I would have thought if it was the DMF, that it would do it all the time rather than just at idle ??

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
I had the same issue on a petrol gti, which I didnt manage to cure. I appreciate yours is diesel the point im making is perhaps its something they both share?

The one issue I had with mine was the valve cover leaking, which may have caused a pressure drop issue inside the engine, aside from that everything was fine on mine, passed emissions etc.

Maybe get some wd40 or easy start and spray around all the air pipes etc, see if the revs change to spot a leak?

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Not necessarily (sp), my dmf was fubar'd after 7.5k and only shook in 5th gear around 1600rpm.....

Get it onto VCDS and see if anything has a fault.

Checked the fault codes about 3 weeks ago, and the only fault listed was with the drivers window mechanism (??)

acreda

My 04 plate Aleta 1.9Tdi has always done this as well and it is all over other forums etc a lot of other users have had this, mine has done 78k so i would worry to much - it is frustrating though I have got used to it

Engine mounts are fine, and I would have thought if it was the DMF, that it would do it all the time rather than just at idle ??

it is more likely to be the DMF if it is shuddering all the time, Get David at Seremotors to check your VIN number against the Seat Databse to see if you had any recall on your tdi.

Other than that rough idling could be a number of things.

I take it the fuel filter has been renewed? maybe worth putting some Diesel additive in like Millers Diesel Sport 4 (plug: available from david as well). this stuff definitely smooths out idling if injectors are not performing well.

has your EGR valve been cleaned at all?

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
it is more likely to be the DMF if it is shuddering all the time, Get David at Seremotors to check your VIN number against the Seat Databse to see if you had any recall on your tdi.

I take it the fuel filter has been renewed? maybe worth putting some Diesel additive in like Millers Diesel Sport 4 (plug: available from david as well). this stuff definitely smooths out idling if injectors are not performing well.

It doesn't do it all the time....only on tickover,when fully warmed up, and even then not all the time. The service book states to drain the fuel filter at 50k miles, so as yet I don't believe it has been touched, as mine has only done 35k. Might try some additive anyway !!

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
I have recently noticed a strange engine "shudder" on my 1.9TDi Altea.
It only occurs when the engine is at tickover, AND is fully warmed up.
If I increase the revs it stops, but returns again when the revs drop back to idle.
I am aware of the DMF issues with various models, and assume that mine is fitted with a DMF (55 plate Stylance), but don't know whether this is the problem, or whether it could be something else ??.
The car has only done 35k, so I am hoping that it is not the DMF !!
It is not a major issue at the moment, as it is barely noticeable, but I am obviously concerned that it may develop in to something majorly expensive !!
Anyone got any ideas ??

I recently had engine shudder on my LCR.

No fault codes so the dealer was no help :rolleyes:

I took a chance and replaced my induction kit as it could be over oiled as some people have said about K&N and replaced the MAF sensor.

Problem solved!

Common symptoms of a faulty Air Flow Meter or MAF are

Poor idling and sometimes you have to give your car a rev before you can pull away
Reduced drivability, cutting out when the engine speed drops (approaching bends, roundabouts etc)
Loss of Power, turbo lag on turbo applications
Excessive Black Smoke on diesel applications
Reduced fuel economy and lumpy running
Can feel like you are hitting a brick wall like a rev limiter etc

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com

Mine did this so the DMF was replaced which cured it for a while however the best fix was to raise the engine tickover up to 945rpm via vagcom which has cured it for good. Must be something to do with harmonics or resonant frequencies - either way it's bloody annoying. Sounds / feels like there's an angry little man with a very small rubber hammer under your bonnnet.

There are two kinds of DMF, one that is prone to failing and one that isn't - think the two types are LUK and SACHS - think it was the LUK one that was prone to early death.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Teah, your right there. Luk was the original OE DMF and this was changed to a SACHs DMF, requires clutch change too if changing from LUK to SACHs.

I may need a new MAF after reading the above post on it! have a few of those symptoms....crap.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.